Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Monday, January 21, 2008

Sincerely Yours...







Dear Soulja Boy,


I hope that you are doing well. Let me get straight to the point. I have to apologize for my behavior which can be categorized only as pure “hatin’”. When your song came out, I couldn’t stand it. I barely got through the first verse before I turned it off. It took a few months before I heard the entire thing. If it came on in a club that I was at, I would suck my teeth but inside I really wanted to do that dance because it looked kinda cool. All that snappin’ and leg kicking – and that Superman thing is so creative. Then one time I actually did it and you know what, I enjoyed it. It’s kinda like when the Tootsie Roll or the Macarena came out – regardless of what you thought of the song, you just had to do that damn dance whenever it came on. As much as I wanted to hate it, the song was so damn catchy. My friends would probably make fun of me if they knew that but they probably feel the exact same way that I do about your song.

You have to understand where I’m coming from. I’m from New York and Hip-Hop is very near and dear to my heart. I know you’re only 17 but there was a time in Hip-Hop where being nice on the mic was all it took and you had a shot to make it. However now it’s like if you don’t have a new dance and pop hook you can’t even get a deal, let alone get your song played on the radio. It’s like lyrics don’t even matter. But that’s not your fault. If millions of people are buying your ringtones and small white children are doing your dance and putting it on YouTube, then who am I to tell you not to do it? Heck, you’re even selling DVD’s teaching people how to “Crank that Soulja Boy”. I even heard that you performed for New Year’s Eve this year – not too many rappers can say that. I mean I much rather have you making music then out there on the streets so if for no other reason, I’ll support you. Now I may not buy your album or rank you in any top 10 list (Even you can admit that your lyrics leave a lot to be desired), but that doesn’t give me the right to hate on you. Keep doing your thing playboy and I’ll try my best to “supersoak that hoe.” (j/k lmao)

Sincerely Yours,

JusHH


P.S. Please whatever you do, don’t spend all of your money. No matter how famous you think you are, it won’t last forever and you will need this money to last. Continue your education and take some business classes. Invest that money so you don’t have to listen to your music while delivering newspapers 5 years from now.

3 comments:

K Storm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K Storm said...

Jushh, I have never done the Macarena....in public..... Sober...thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you're not alone bro. no need to be embarrassed. catchy dance songs are like crack. you know its bad for you, might make you look ridiculous but it feels so good. lol.