Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Thursday, December 27, 2007

"A Mead notebook and a Bic that click when its pushed and a whack ass beat..."




What's more important when you are making that "hit" record, the bars or the beats? That's a tough question but being that I have been on the production side and on the lyrical side ill share my thoughts. When I turn on the radio i hear alot of songs people consider "hits". Majority of these songs will have a decent or good beat with some of the worst lyrics I ever heard, but it is a "hit".

I don't really consider those songs hit records in my books, they have no life span. Will you really be pulling out your CD with "wipe me down" or "a bay bay" on it 5 years from now and say "Yea thats my joint!!!". I doubt it, a song can make a quick run with a hot beat but without the lyrical content its a partially finished record. Now not all songs can even make "the run", there have been plenty of songs where the beat is crazy, and the lyrics are worst than your 5 year old niece. Refer to Noreaga "Melvin Flynt Da Hustler", the album was laced with hot neptune beats but Nore repeatedly spit some hot garbage track after track.

Bottom line, lyrics are a very important part of a song. Listen to some of the old groups like Earth, Wind, Fire...Supremes...Dudes like Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Teddy P i can go on and on but you get the point. You can play their records this present day and people bug out like their CD dropped last week. Plus we sample their music like crazy you gotta love it. This is just my opinion, lyrics are most important. You don't believe? Listen to Lupe Fiasco's Dumb It Down, a simple beat brought to life with some of the illest lyrics I ever heard. peace.

gWiz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that I Believe (lol) that lyrics come first. You can only listen to a song's instrumental for so long before it gets boring and you turn it off, but a great a cappella record can stand alone. Hell, DJ's got a hold of Jay-Z's Black Album a cappella songs and turned them into 1000 different albums.

How many times did we say about a 2Pac or Biggie song, "man that beat was dope?" We always talked about those rhymes. Same w/ the greats like Wiz put it. when you hear Marvin's "What's Going On?", its the lyrics that get you all emotional.

The beats will get you in the club, the lyrics will get you in your CD collection...

Peace

Anonymous said...

First off the statement "Nore repeatedly spit some hot garbage track after track" had me dying..lmao..

But I must agree, lyrics are very, very important. When I'm listening to a song, thats what Im doing-listening to the WORDS. Feeling the persons joy, pain, anger-whatever. Words are what paints that pic for me. The tone of that persons voice is what helps me have further understanding.
Mary sings "if we look in her life and seen what she seen", well the only way I can do that is by listening to her words of pain. Even Foxy is telling me to look into her life and see what she's been through.. A beat can't do that for me. But the words can.
There are many songs I can go on about..Eve's "Love is Blind". How many of you SAW what she was talking about? I know I did. Words teach you a lot about an artist-they are storytellers. Sure they have some songs that they make with beats that are hot but as stated by JusHH beats=clubs.

But then again thats just my opinion...