Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, January 23, 2009

Need some answers...


A Few Questions
written by 4bars

So there were some hip hop questions on my mind, none individually warrant a full post but I think collectively they produce some good discussion:

1. Is Wayne capable of making another classic album or will his next one be below the bar that he has set for himself after Tha Carter 3?

2. Will 50’s new album continue to exhibit the decreasing level of sales that oddly enough is his biggest point of bravado? (Each of his albums has sold less than the previous, including his G-Unit group albums).

3. Joe Budden seems very calm and cool in his lane right now, where does his dough come from?

4. Jeezy’s “My President” a “coonish” moment that kind of makes you cringe but you jam anyway, why does Hov’s version have a TOTALLY different feel?

5. How do you feel about “Universal Mind Control”? I love the album personally, Common continues to amaze me a la the Kanye West formula, doesn’t hurt that Pharrell was an Exec, haha.

5 comments:

JusWritin' said...

1. Interesting. I don't think C3 is classic but it is probably his best album. I do think he can and probably will make a better album next time. I think his music will mature a little and it will help him be a better artist

2. Well, probably. But 50 still sells more than 97% of the other rappers in the game. I think the better question is will this album continue in the decline in music quality?

3. Man, great f'n question. I have no clue how he is getting any kind of money.

4. Do you really need to ask this man?

5. PTM #4 ... nuff said.

Mr. Hutson said...

1. I don't think Lil' Wayne is capable of making a classic now. I think he had a shot with the Carter 2, but I think he's out too much material (in too short a time span) since then to ever get there. If he takes a break for a while, possibly.

2. I think the quality will go up. I think he only sold as much as he did on his last album because of the Kanye challenge. He'll sell less.

3. Dude! I have no clue. I'll assume he got a lil' dough from Amalgram and doing a lot of shows.

4. lol. It's Jeezy. It's Jay.

5. Eh, not really a big fan.

K. Billy said...

1. Time will tell. I don't think he should come out with another joint for a while though. We'll see what happens after a short hiatus.

2. Likely. He doesn't evolve.

3. Probably shows.

4. Both versions are kind of that way, the remix, however, is a little different because of those first couple of bars: "my president is black in fact he's half white/so even in a racist's mind, he's half right...." Serious.

5. It's a good album, but it's not as good as Finding Forever. I'm not always confident in Com's lyrical ability. "Be" is still his best album to date. Better question is: don't you feel like he's had two different careers? Pre-Kanye on Be and post?

JusWritin' said...

There's definitely a line drawn in Com's career but I call it Before and After the Circus. Granted Kanye came around the same time but EC was clearly the turning point.

gWiz Musik said...

All this talk about wayne taking a break, but he is coming out with a rock album in april.