Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, January 16, 2009

Tell me...


Where’s The Love?
written by 4bars

On January 1, 2009 two unarmed young black men were shot by police officers; one did not live to see the rest of 2009, the other will likely live the rest of his life with a bullet lodged in his liver. These incidents happened in Oakland and Houston respectively and upon hearing about them and the subsequent commentary on hip hop stations, more than anything else, I was hurt.

I couldn’t shake the question: “why don’t they like us?” It seems as if young black males are generally threatening to the point where lethal force is the only solution. I know you’re wondering “Bars, the f does this have to do with hip hop?” my answer: everything.

The young man in Oakland likely listened to hip hop music, as did the one in Houston and they both probably dressed in “hip hop attire” which sadly brands one a “thug” in the eyes of many. But as my Brandeis brethren eloquently stated “every black dude wearing a hoody is not a thug”. Don’t get me wrong, hip hop is filled with tons of shit talking, violence, bravado, ignorance, and coonery that can put unfamiliar people in a cautious position. But all of us aren’t “armed and dangerous” and I feel some police are operating under the auspice that we are. How else do you explain a total of 4 shots being fired at 2 unarmed young men; one handcuffed on the ground and face down, the other in front of his home with his pajama clad parents explaining that “no officer, this is our son, our house, and this car is not stolen.

I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired, but I don’t know what can be done. Hip hop seems to influence everything else, when will the next Public Enemy emerge? I feel like the people are ready and def tired of the bullsh*t but is our community? There was an outrage when Sean Bell was tragically murdered, but is Al Sharpton and Co. our only voice?

I’m not trying to hold hip hop accountable for everything that goes wrong in our communities, but I’m not gonna lie, I need something more than it’s giving me right now. Rappers who actually speak up (David Banner, Ice Cube, Talib, etc) are often marginalized yet T-Pain and Akon are embraced with talks of Patron. I know I’m on my same old shit, but somebody tell me I’m wrong; am I expecting too much?

3 comments:

JusWritin' said...

Honestly, if these stories had anything to do with Hip-Hop, I'd say the problem would be easier to solve.

Hip-Hop is only the latest "justification" for this nonsense.

Young black males or YBM's (the opposite of IAN's)have been targets in this country since forever. Way before Rappers Delight thought about Hippity Hopp, YBM's have been getting shot, hanged, kidnapped and everything else under the sun.

The problem is bigger than music or hip-hop culture. I have to believe that the solution has to be closer after 11-4-08. I have to believe it as a black man.

But its soo hard to remain optimistic.

K Storm said...

Honestly, if I think about this I would walk around hating all police officers. Like Jushh said, YBM have always been the target. You are a threat to "those in power". If YBM realized this, and believed it, I think we would have less IAN. I can sit here and be pissed at the AKONS and TPAINS of hip hop, but I CHOOSE to be thankfull for the COMMONS of hip hop instead. If we were completely ignoring issues like this, then I would have to organize a riot and disown hip hop all together. SO to all the YBM....please know yall are and always will be a threat to "those in power".

P.S. ABDC is back and QUEST & FLY KHICKS ARE JUST TWO OF THE AMAZING CREWS. However I have to give it up for BEAT FREAKS (the all female bgirl...breaking....poppin) reppin for the ladies. THEY GO HARD!!!! This seasons quality of crews has improved and can't wait to see the rest of the season. O if you couldn't tell....I REALLY LIKE THIS SHOW :-)

Mr. Hutson said...

Man, I've read this post over and over this weekend and I've been thinking about what to say. Really, it's scary being a YBM out here. Seriously, I'm not sure if people quite understand it. You go to the wrong areas and you might get hit up by the IANS. You got to the "right" neighborhoods and you have no right to be there. Hip-hop ain't to blame, though. I don't expect every dude with a mic to truly understand that they have huge targets on their backs. I'm just grateful for the ones who acknowledge and mention it.

KStorm, I feel you on the ABDC. Beat Freaks and Quest are absolutely crazy. I like Box Cutters a lot as well. Shame that one crew had to fly back to Puerto Rico as soon as they got there. The talent is better than last year's, but I'm still not sure if it's seeing Season 1. Don't you think they're draining their talent pool by having two seasons a year?