Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Thursday, January 22, 2009

No Excuses...


I Don't Care
written by Just K

I can’t blame them for trying. I’m sure all the random facts sway quite a few people. I’m just not one of those people. Whenever a rapper’s about to drop an album they always go on a slew of interviews. During these interviews they end up talking about any and everything having to do with the album. Well, this is simply my opinion, but I truly don’t care about a lot of it. All of the random facts and stuff doesn’t impress me. Now if the album is dope, maybe after I hear it I’d like to know how such a masterpiece was created. Until the album’s actually released, all that blabbing about the process of making the album sounds like Charlie Brown’s teacher giving a speech.

I don’t care where you recorded your album. Seriously, what does it matter if you recorded in New York or Miami or your mother’s basement? As long as the sound quality is on point, I could care less where the tracks got laid. I’m sure a lot MCs get beats and write to them. Does it make a difference where the vocals are recorded? Nope. Sure as hell doesn’t.

I kinda care which producers did your beats. When certain artists and producers get together it’s almost guaranteed magic. And of course there are cases where I’d love to hear how one MC sounds over a specific producer’s beat. In general though, I don’t care. I swear people want to act like big-name producers have never made clunkers for beats. On the flipside, there are some solid beat makers that haven’t blown up yet. A great beat is a great beat regardless of who did it.

I don’t care whether you wrote your rhymes or not. Pencil and paper or your mental tablet, if your rhymes suck, they suck. If they’re hot, they’re hot. And what’s worse is when a rapper says he didn’t write anything and it really sounds like they didn’t. Unless you’re trying to go green and save the rain forest there’s no reason to hate on pencil and paper. Whatever the process is, I hope you’re coming with some tough lyrics.

I really don’t care what The Source or XXL has to say about your album. Once Benzino’s album got like 6 mics out of 5, they’re credibility was shot in my eyes. I don’t even want to rehash that Little Brother – Lil’ Kim episode. As for XXL – I spent a smooth $12.50 (after taxes) on The Clipse’s second CD. By no means was it a bad CD, but messing around with XXL I was expecting a flawless disc. Ummm…it was flawed. Screw reviews. Show and prove.

I don’t care how long it took you to make your album. If you say you managed to do your whole album in a week and it actually sounds like a week’s worth of work, surprise! – you got what you put in. And if I happen to buy your CD, which will eventually be converted to a coaster, I’m really pissed if I get what you put in.

I don’t care if you have a 150-piece orchestra on one song. I don’t care how many albums you’re trying to sell this time around. I don’t care who was in the studio with you to cosine that your songs are hot. I don’t care how many times Dr. Dre pushed your album back to perfect your project. I don’t care what you ate, smoke, or drank while you were recording. I don’t care if you read your rhymes off a blackberry, notebook, palm pilot, etch-a-sketch, or a bunch of dirty napkins. There are a million other things I don’t care about, I just don’t care to mention them right now. In the end, all I want is a good project with good songs. I don’t care how you get there. Just get there.

5 comments:

K Storm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K Storm said...

UMMM JUST K.. Are we (meaning you...but its best to say We to avoid pointing the finger) having a moment? WOOSAH!!!!
I agree with some of your points however, when an album is great and you find out the details of the creative process...I DO CARE that it took ole boy an hour to create a master piece. That says something to me about the artist and the work. I care whether he was in his Momma's basement or in SOUTH AFRICA or the WEST INDIES. It says something about the artists inspiration. Now when the work is garbage, and they say "I RECORDED 100 SONGS IN 2 HOURS SON" then you have a moment of (AHH HA) NO WONDER. But for the master piece project...some of the details shed light on the work.

ABDC ON MTV TONIGHT AT 10 (should someone be cutting me a check for this free promoting?)

Mr. Hutson said...

Are we having a moment? lol. Possibly. It's just odd to me when I hear they did 90 songs for the album and picked 12 and 11 out of 12 suck (@ least the interlude was funny). All of the "i did this" and "i did that" means nothing until a gem is produced.

As for ABDC, I'm much happier w/ these season's pool of talent. There were like 3 really solid crews out of 10 last year. This year it's up for grabs. Speaking of which, I gotta take a moment to clown the crew from NY.

"Can't nobody else dance like this 'cause they not from BROOKLYN!"

I could talk about ABDC forever.

JusWritin' said...

Tell 'em why you mad son. Tell em why you mad.

I'm a fan of ABDC too... can't wait to see what happens.

Yes Storm, you should get a check.

K Storm said...

-_- I feel you. Yea the crew from BK needs to step it up...as Little Mama would say. lol..