Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Monday, May 4, 2009

What? What? What?



I Really Can’t Help It
written by JusHH

Countless times on PTM I’ve made the claim that lyrics come first. I am from the old school where I put a premium on dope rhymes and rate my rappers based on their skills on the mic.

But I love Nore.

Correction, I’ve spent money on 4 different albums that Nore is apart of.

But I know without a shadow of a doubt that Nore can’t rap. He has no conception of flow and his lyrical dexterity can be compared to well, a 3 year old’s coloring book. Just K did a few joints about guilty pleasures and dag nabbit, Nore is definitely one of mine!

When CNN first dropped, my excuse was easy: Hey Capone is the rapper that I really paid attention to and Nore was the dude that brought the energy. Hell, PE made a Hall of Fame career off of that formula. Due to Capone’s incarceration, his appearance on the War Report was a bit scarce (he didn’t make his first appearance until track 4) which left Nore all by himself on a lot of tracks. With stunning rhymes like, “put the bogey out in your face/ now your face, laced like ash tray face”, what isn’t to love? But I still rocked heavy with him and that album.

Then Nore went solo; mainly because, well, Capone can’t seem to stay free. Nonetheless, Nore had to still eat on the run so he had to do what he had to do. So there went my only legitimate excuse to tolerate other classic lines like,

Ayo we light a candle
Run laps around the English Channel
Neptunes, we got a Cocker Spaniel

And…

All our whips got navigation
While your whips are just garbation

Yes, that last “word” was “garbation” and both of these lines are from the same song. You can’t make this stuff up.

Nore breaks every rule that I usually follow. There is no reason why I should like Nore or support his music but I do. I bought his second solo album and the next CNN project. He was by far the short bus verse on the classic DJ Clue joint, “Fantastic Four” but I can’t imagine that song without him.

He has an “it” factor that draws me. Perhaps it’s the honesty – Nore is who he is and has never tried to be anything more. He has never called himself a GOAT or talked about how his rhymes are better than the next man. Nore is just a dude who loves what he does and puts 100% into it. I am always entertained when he’s on the mic and in turn…

Nore turned me into a walking contradiction.

Thanks.

9 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

This might be one of the funniest posts PTM's ever seen. We appreciate you owning up to being a walking contradiction. He did alright on that I'm Leaving joint off The Firm album, though.

"Yo what we talk about. THUG SH!T"

JusWritin' said...

Thank you Just K. It was a much needed intervention. I had to get that off my chest.

I'm tired of feeling the pressure that I can only like dope emcees with witty punchlines and deep content. Sometimes a brother just wanna dumb the f**k down.

"Yo its a symphony/ without me on it, it ain't a symphony..."

simply brilliant.

JusWritin' said...

On another note, can we take a look at the picture. If this isn't comedy, i don't know what to day. He has a blinged out chain of a Newport pack of cigs!!!!

And now he kinda looks like Biz Markie.

Mr. Hutson said...

I really want him to lie and say he gained weight for a movie role. And if you really want to talk about him coming up short, let's look @ Nore, Canibus and DMX on the classic Funk Flex freestyle session. Now THAT my friends is an example of an MC out of place. That's beyond short bus. It was seeing someone riding a bicycle on I95.

But I must say, I do agree. Never tried to be anything other than just Noreaga.

Stuprint said...

AHA! I KNEW IT!! haha, nah, i love that mf too yo. me and Wiz rode through mount vernon for like 3 days bangin "head bussa" and other classics off that God's Favorite album.

I think a huge part of his appeal is that so many classics are neptunes beats (ahem) or other fire tracks (Blood Money pt 3).

Also, is it just me or does capone look like Fab? and Mario Chalmers looks like both of them

JusWritin' said...

Yes Bars, with Nore... the beats come FIRST!!!! HAHAHAHA. I can't even lie about that one.

I stopped copping nore projects after the Melvin Flynt album. I couldn't take the ridiculousness anymore lol

Lady J said...

He DOES kinda look like Biz Markie lol...I quote his Twitter page -- "Fung wah!!" (http://twitter.com/noreaga)

Professor X said...

Wow Jus.....this is classic comedy here. If I didn't see that picture you posted...I would have said that at least Nore has some swagger going for...put that's out the window. I ain't mad at ya for making an exception. True hip hop fans are always entitled to a few of those. Way to keep it 100 on your opinion.

Mr. Hutson said...

Seriously? He didn't feel the need to keep his shirt on? Not even a little bit?