Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Monday, June 8, 2009

I want to, but I just can't...




Rage against a Machine
written by JusHH

This past Thursday, Jay-Z once again made headlines. Props to Hov for still being able to do more with one song than most are able to do with a whole album. He made an event out of the release of his new song and turned the Hip-Hop community upside down. (Note: its 2009 so I can't say how many people outside of the tri-state area actually cared, but NY is still NY and it was a big moment.) Now I was as excited as the next man until I realized that he was making this huge event to battle...

Autotune?

I just have a few thoughts on the subject...

I know in the eyes of many Hov can do no wrong but after the opening line, he lost me. First of all, is autotune even a used anymore? Save for T-Pain and Ron Browz, you don't hear it like you did at the end of last year. People were already getting tired of it and were moving forward. Why pick now, to make such a "bold" statement? If he did it 8 months ago, now we're talking.

Second he says that his songs don't have melodies? Umm, really Jay? Hard Knock Life, Show me what you Got or the litany of hit singles for the club that you have in your catalogue.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the call for everyone to step their rap game up but its kinda easy for you when you are already rich. If you tried to come out today, you'd have T-Pain on your song too. You also hated on ringtones and itunes as if your music isn't for sale on both and you haven't pocketed some change as a result.

Then the jist of the rest of the song was that this song was more street and gangster than what everyone else is putting out right now. If that is true, couldn't you have picked a harder beat? I'm sorry but the jazz, saxophone thing didn't scream out hardcore.

And of course the biggest irony is that Kanye produced this song? Umm, so Hov were you just s**ting on Kanye's entire career in 2008 and his last album. Keep in mind that album was released under your umbrella.

I'm just asking that the next time you stop NY in its tracks to listen to your next record, you gotta come with something better Hov. And if you want to battle something, go at something that talks back.

7 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

Wow. Just...wow. I have thoughts. I disagree to an extent. lol. Not even sure where to start with this one.

Bold piece, my dude. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Stuprint said...

wow indeed, I was gonna write something of my own but my homie said it best, list form of course:

1. theres still a good amount of people out there autotuning...you can go through the top singles chart and youd be surprised how many still have it
2. hov doesnt sell his stuff on itunes
3.
how is that beat not hard? the drums knock on some old school boom bap he's really trippin there
4. in an interview kanye acknowledged the song and agreed the time for autotune was over
5. who does hov need to battle anymore? if anything this is toughest battle yet as he's going at the industry rather than just some rapper...gets alot of props for this one

JusWritin' said...

Haha, i figured I'd be in the minority with my position on this song. And its not like i think its wack, it just didn't really blow me away like that. And I still don't really see the need for it.

I didn't know Hov's albums aren't for sale on itunes. is there a reason for that?

Anonymous said...

hmm...not that you guys read my comments, but anyway... 2 cents worth: this song is trash. I love Jay. Always have. But remove his name from this song and you wouldn't even listen until the end. There's no development of his style. Nothing breathtaking, nothing pushing any preconceived notions of what a superior lyricist should sound like, nothing arrogant or aggressive about that beat. You can’t compare that to something produced during the early nineties, because good boom bap had soul.

Very disappointing.

JusWritin' said...

One more on team JusHH... haha

so is that 2 against 2 now?

Stuprint said...

(sigh) wow, i think you make great points about him not pushing the envelope lyrically, but if i'm the best and what i do works, do i have to change if what i'm already doing is great? Stylistically: see previous comment.

As far as the beat goes, i TOTALLY disagree, the soulful saxophone on the breakdown, not the looped one, gives me goosebumps and the bass hits hard, the snares are hot...

yeah, its 2 on 2 alright, but we're wesley and woody, ya'll are the cat trying to rob the liquor store and his teammate...

JusWritin' said...

Oh word? Aiight, I'm gonna go to my car and get my gun...

LMFAO