Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, July 17, 2009

4 Bars- 50 Cent: Philanthropist?


50 Cent just put out a new mixtape, 2 actually, but the one of topic is “War Angel”. 50 goes back to this original GRODT style and kills approximately 348 people in his 11 songs. This does not surprise me but his outro has me torn.

He is sponsoring an event called “Family Day” where there will be a huge cook out and concert put on for free in the 40 projects of his native Queens. There will be several Queens celebrities like Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, etc, and he’s even “taking the hood to Great Adventures” the day before. WTF!!! I’m not sayin dude can’t do right by his hood but I find it ironic that he raps about constantly killing and selling drugs to people like the ones that he will feed and take to Six Flags.

Does this philanthropic act on August 31 make up for the damage that has surely been done, not solely because 50 promotes/supports it, but because he helped perpetuate it on a grand scale? This whole thing just reminds me of Nino Brown in New Jack City giving out turkeys on Thanksgiving, sponsoring AAU teams, and handing out dollars to the little kids running around as he took over buildings driving residents out of their homes and directly causing and committing violence and turning the community into an impoverished slum.

Ya’ll know my self righteous ass had to comment on this. I was truly caught off guard when I was listening to it the other day and for a second there I was like “yo, thanks Fif, finally doing something for the hood”. And he certainly is, it’s just that I remembered that for the previous hour or so I had listened to him blast, kill, and pop these same “niggas in the hood” so like I said, I’m torn. Queens Nino Brown or story teller extraordinaire?

2 comments:

JusWritin' said...

Well one, 50 isn't actually committing any crimes. So the Nino Brown comparison isn't really fair. Is he promoting crimes? Probably, but is its more or less egregious than Denzel playing a role in American Gangster?

Im happy he's doing what he's doing for the hood. Especially since he's profiting off the pain. Violence and Sex sells, i'm just glad he's giving back.

Mr. Hutson said...

I gotta disagree with Jus on this one. I'm pretty sure he did some of that craziness he raps about, and he sure as hell promotes it to an extent (despite his defense of just speaking on the realities of the hood - does it all really have to be in first person?).

It's cool that he's doing something for the hood. After all, how many MC's took similar paths, but aren't viewed as hypocrites? Jay, T.I., Scarface, so on and so forth.