Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, July 10, 2009

4 Bars- Scurred


So I was around a lot of inner city young black males the past three days at a basketball camp and I observed what I perceive as our “future” and had a few issues. Now I know you’re asking “Bars, the f does this have to do with Hip-Hop” and my response, as usual is: everything.

Hoops and Hip-Hop are intertwined forever; there is no way around it. This is mostly because the audience/creators/artists are interested/dominated/deeply invested in both of them. I constantly would hear the kids with heavy Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York accents loudly and publicly rap lyrics of everybody from Wayne to Gucci Mane to Nas and I couldn’t help but think, what are they getting/learning from all this?

I know this is the same ish I’m always on, but a recent chat with my man D made me think about our “future” and what it will be made up of. Hip-Hop is commercially and monetarily driven and besides feeding the inner circles and families (distant and immediate) of the artists, what is the music actually building within the culture?

The emphasis on money and getting paid or whatever variation of this mantra is engrained in each popular rapper’s lyrics are disturbing not just because of their shallow nature, but because the kids aren’t being taught anything different. I’ve touched on this before but after seeing it reflected daily in the youth that will represent our culture in the future, I cringe. It parallels a site like PTM with sayyy Bossip. Now I’m not trying to compare these two because they are in COMPLETELY different lanes, but what I do notice is that the masses are much more concerned with a tabloid site about the latest dirt on black celebrities, mostly Hip-Hop entities, yet a site like PTM, where thought provoking questions are asked, there is minimal love. Now, I know there are a lot of other factors involved but this dynamic is similar to what the kids are getting from Hip-Hop.

It’s not what they are listening “to” it’s what they’re listening “for”. Hip-Hop once “taught” its listeners. Whether it be simple social commentary or the addressing of major issues in the hood (Brenda’s Got a Baby, 9-1-1 is a Joke, etc) Hip-Hop was more than just music, it was a positive representation of culture. And don’t get me wrong it’s still a representation, but now it represents a culture that says “I don’t give a f#$k, I’m trying to get paid” (more cringing).

With all that said, there is a still a persevering spirit that remains and is shown daily from the “nothing to something” stories we continue to get. This is why I will continue to listen to, be critical of, and hope for the best from Hip-Hop; I just hope it’s not in vain.

4 comments:

TheRipestPeachisHighestontheTree said...

I have been reading this great forum for a couple months now, I love EVERYTHING I read & this is actually my 1st time commenting! Please keep up these great dialogues that fuel the fire & lifeline that is Hip Hop. My friends & I have very heated (but friendly) debates based on many of the topics you bring forth. Just copped that Back to the Feature yesterday and [[in Joey from Blossom voice]] *WHOA!* ...was SOOO it refreshing. I heart PTM!!!

Stuprint said...

Thanks for the comment, you should do it more often :)

Yeah that Wale mixtape is ridiculous, by far my favorite joint is Um Ricka wit ka'naan (sp?) The beat is SO soulful and they both are f'n spittin. Wale's verse on Wordplay is sublime and yeah, i'm looking forward to his album.

We'll see how long we can keep the party goin, but the more people who respond/comment the better

JusWritin' said...

Well Bars, this is without question your best post EVER!

Not what they are listening "to" but listening "for" - wow.

I wouldnt even know where to begin. I try not to sound like a dinosaur when i talk about HH as a kid but yeah it used to MEAN something. Sure we had our booty, gangster music but there was some balance. I know we've said the word balance here a bunch of times but that's what it comes down to.

Your PTM points were dead on. I feel like i'm only writing for like 3 people on here and its frustrating.

@ The Ripest - thanks for the love. But if we don't get ur comments we don't know people are reading. I'm glad you enjoy it though.

TheRipestPeachisHighestontheTree said...

I'm definitely going to make a habit of it from now on :) So you know the beauty of your commentary isn't going in vain!!! I'm infatuated with the approach: Let's not even TALK mention Back to the Feature, just address the real issue at hand & post the Mixtape Cover image. *loves it* I'll be back!!!!!