Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, July 31, 2009

4 Bars- F&%k Thaaaaaatt


So with all the sad goodbyes and all that other mushy ish on the PTM calendar this week, I’m officially sayin I ain’t down wit it and ya’ll gon get more 4 Bars (shit, I hope ya’ll want it though, haha). I’ve had a lot on my mind in regards to hip-hop, sans my usual soapbox antics, almost, haha. Enjoy.

1) 50 Cent, I’ve listened to both his mixtapes and I’m not gonna lie, a couple of the tracks make me wanna pick my gat back up and rob, blast, and murk niggas, but is he becoming a gimmick?

2) Trey Songz or Drake? Singer/Rapper, Rapper/Singer, do we throw T-Pain in there? The more I listen to Songz, the less I have been hatin. He’s really stepped up his game by doing a plethora of works over all kinds of stuff and he even went at Kellz, hard (pause). He put out a really hot mixtape himself, but I personally like it when he spits/sings over other people’s tracks. But my questions were first…

3) Eminem vs Mariah, wow, did anybody else completely miss that she was talking about Em in “Obsessed” before they saw the video? I just watched the video and the remix video (GUCCI!!) about 5 mins ago, after I heard Em go in on she and her “husband” (chuckle) and it all makes sense now, haha. Where will this go? Will he air her out past this “warning”? Is he bluffing about having tapes/pics?

4) Speaking of Gucci, this cat is in jail currently (so I heard) yet the more I hear from him, the more I wish he wasn’t a hood nigga (I’m using the N-word blatantly btw from now on, it’s applicable) because I think he’s talented and his flow is “Ridiculous”, even with the speech impediment and likely learning disability. That wasn’t so much a question as a prompt for comment…

5) Wale, OMG, yo, I REALLLYYYY want this cat to succeed. The more I listen to him, and not just his music, but his commentary, I feel like a) he could be in Slaughterhouse and b) he’s a really charismatic cat and COMPLETELY embodies the unique yet ignored nature of everything that is DC. Now don’t take that comment as a diss, I got this whole notion on the neglect of DC style, music, etc, by everyone outside of DC from a native of the area so this is how they feel about themselves. And I’m sorry for doing it, but does it not exactly replicate the neglect of DC politically as they still don’t get recognition as a state, it’s as if it doesn’t exist…

6) Oh almost forgot about this one. I posed this question to Wiz a few days ago (he didn’t respond) Rank these in order of best “rapper”: J. Cole, Wale, Drake.


PTM4L…

1 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

(Over the Jay-Z instrumental) 4 Bars, he goes hard, he goes hard.

50's been a gimmick

Drake is a much better MC. Trey is a much better singer.

I can't believe they're having a cross-genre beef. Seriously?

lmao @ likely learning disability.

I don't think Wale has the aggression to be in Slaughterhouse. Dude's really something. And you're right, we have been very much underappreciated and underrepresented as a region.

Drake is the most marketable (and I'd say all around talented). Wale is the most unique. J. Cole is the hardest pure spitter, I think.