Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Monday, November 3, 2008

Fresh Eyes...


On Second Thought…
Written by Jushh

The term “fresh eyes” refers to the idea of seeing the same thing with a clearer perspective that allows you to notice something different. Whether you got a good night’s sleep, changed your scenery or adjusted your attitude, seeing something with “fresh eyes” can change your entire opinion on a particular subject.

I hated “Love Lockdown” when I first heard it. Every time it came on, I’d suck my teeth and express my continued disdain for Kanye’s latest effort. People would mention how they liked the song and I’d look at them like they were crazy for even suggesting that this was somehow acceptable. But one day, I was listening to gWiz’s radio show and I heard this dope bass line and Jin was killing it. I knew it wasn’t his song per se but I was just rocking to it. I was all in my zone until I asked myself, “wait, is that Kanye?.” That’s right, Jin finished rapping and Kanye took over and I didn’t notice it but I was still enjoying it. I had heard “Love Lockdown” with fresh eyes. So now what do I think? I kinda like the song save for the sped up hook (still can’t get into that) and I dig Ye’s emotions on the record. Maybe it was my distaste for the use of the voice box (still don’t know its real name) or my not wanting to hear another rapper sing but the first times listening to the song, I didn’t like it. But with fresh eyes, I was able to appreciate it and my views changed.

It got me thinking. What else changed because of “fresh eyes”?

A Million Changes

Before: What the F is “A Millie”?

Fresh Eye Moment: Back in 2007, I had probably gone through 2,345 different Lil’ Wayne songs. It seemed like every day Wiz was sending us a new song that he was on. And I’d throw it on my playlist and it would blend in with all the other songs that I had. Then this year, the Carter 3 leaked and somehow I ended up with it on my computer (lol). I was so excited because of all the hype. I put it in the headphones and just rocked out. When track 3 hit, my eyes popped out of my head. Hearing Wayne just go crazy on it had me on the phone with all of my boys… only to hear them tell me, “son, that song came out last year, you late.” Yes, yes it did. And I even had it on my computer (the version with Cory Gunz, who killed it by the way). I probably heard it or at least sampled it during one of my music ciphers, but its greatness went right over my head. Hearing it as a part of that album instead of one of a thousand songs on my “C” drive freshened up my eyes just enough to appreciate the ridiculousness that Wayne song is.

After: Still get chills when that song comes on.

Joe Budden’s debut album

Before: This album was a near classic; a must have in anyone’s collection

Fresh Eye Moment: So by now, everyone knows how I feel about Joe Budden. He’s definitely one of my favorite rappers and I look out for his new music like Pookie for his next fix. When I read about him, I loved his back story and heard him on a few songs and just loved his lyrical prowess. So when his album dropped, I ran to the store and became an instant evangelist. When people wouldn’t drink the Kool-Aid, I quickly reminded them that they were buggin’. But then some time passed and I was going through the collection and noticed that I hadn’t heard the album in a while and threw it on the mp3 player. I started to notice that this “amazing” album had some suspect songs and some that I completely skipped. Time, gave me fresh eyes.

After: Umm, not so much. I’m glad he brought it back with Mood Muzik 2.

Nas – “Ether”

Before: Song was aiight, but not enough to compete with “Takeover”

Fresh Eye Moment: When I first heard Hov tell Nas that he fell from top 10 to not mentioned at all, I said to myself, “there’s no way Nas is coming back from that, period.” So when I first heard “Ether” my first reaction was to say that it wasn’t enough. But one day I had a conversation with one of my boys and I was making the argument that Jay was still winning and he kept hitting me with lines that Nas said. As he was reciting the rhymes, it was like I never heard them before. I guess when I was listening to the song, I wasn’t really paying attention because of the opinion that I had about the “Takeover” verse. I remember when I got back, I put the song on with fresh eyes and lost my f**king mind.

After: “Ether” is one of the 3 best diss records of all time and it helped Nas win the battle.


Are anyone else get a Ben Stein moment?

3 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

I had a few fresh eye moments, actually.

One, unfortunately is with Weezy. When he had those million and one mixtape joints coming out before the C3 I found myself getting hyped about all of 'em. Dude was REALLY spittin' My brother isn't so much of a Lil' Wayne fan. So he swings through and is like, "go ahead and play this song you been hyping." I found myself really listening, then having to justify some of his low quality lines and even trying to figure out what he said sometimes. Then I popped in the first Carter and C2, and my fears were confirmed. Dude was REALLY going in then. Now I think he's realized that whatever he says is gold, so he doesn't have to say too much too often.

Hell Hath No Fury by the Clipse. I read the reviews. I wanted to give it the same reviews as the magazines did. Initially, I did. Then I put an unbiased ear to it...

And finally, listening to Drake, the Canadian that was on Degrassi. When I first heard him I had a moment. No way is this mediocre actor killing bars like THAT, son. So I tried to brush him off a lil' bit. Then I kept hearing more and more stuff from him. Yeah, dude's on his way to being official. He ain't 100% there yet, but he's really a problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lxWaBf9T6M

JusWritin' said...

Ahh, you had a Weezy moment in reverse. I think alot of people are having that with the Carter 3. Once the hyped died out, the long term quality was exposed.

I never thought Hell Hath was good. Peep my 3rd post on PTM.

I gotta peep Drake. Never heard of him.

Mr. Hutson said...

Oh yeah. I definitely remember the HHNF post which is why I mentioned it.

As for Weezy, I been telling people it wasn't that good. I thought it was average from jump. The more I listen, the worse it gets. Dr. Carter, Mr. Carter, Tie My Hands, La La, and maybe one or two more joints out of A Millie songs on the disc. The bars are so half-assed at this point I don't know what to do. It's all style now.

Drake = solid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thuy1XgrwCk

That's another joint. Dude's aight. I think he's just old enough to drink. A lil' more work and he'll be something special.

I think it just hurts when you go into an album really wanting it to be a classic (or just really good) and you get let down. It's a painful time. The only reason you got fresh eyes sometimes is 'cause there's so much water in 'em. Oh the agony.