Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Working with the boys...


To Snitch or Not to Snitch
written by Just K

So a homeboy of mine recently got his car jacked. Not that it should matter, but he’s a college-educated family man pushing 30. When the cops pull up to his place of residence, he’s standing outside and waves the cops over to where the car used to be. Sure enough, he ends up handcuffed and kissing the pavement with a pistol at the back of his dome. This makes me that much more reluctant to give popo a ring next time something happens. Then I see this video:




Wow! Clearly Tip, a former no snitching advocate, made this video as part of his community service sentence. The Tips phone number just adds insult to injury. So, Mysonne went in on Tip in this video:




Shoutout to Mysonne for spending eight minutes talking about another rapper’s 30 second commercial. Double shoutout for dropping more “niggas” in his video than a klan member at a rap concert. Honestly, I’m not mad at T.I. Technically it looks like the ad is meant for the average citizen and not criminals pointing out other criminals. Technicalities aside, in my opinion, dude is mature enough to understand that he’d be losing millions and, more importantly, time with his children by not doing a stupid commercial. Was the commercial lame? Yeah. Is it totally hypocritical when you look at some of his past work? Hells yeah. But I can appreciate a man that puts his family in front of “the code.” Maybe if we had more people willing to make such sacrifices we wouldn’t have so many fatherless kids getting ready to father soon-to-be fatherless kids.

Now, as far as the code goes, I’ve always been conflicted. So, as an upstanding citizen I’m supposed to call something in if I’m aware of a crime that has been committed, right? First of all, where’s the guarantee that I don’t get viewed as the criminal? Secondly, people tend to forget that police have their own “code.” (If you haven’t seen Serpico, you’re missing Al Pacino at his finest.) When other cops participate in unsavory acts, they’ve got a badge code that works the same way the street code works – don’t talk. In fact, the code goes higher up with the boys in blue. Hell, sometimes it’s the police chief or even the judge that let’s a shady cop off the hook. Hypocrisy, I tell you. Regardless of the crime, it’s just hard to be responsible for watching one of your own go to jail. We even rooted for O.J. like we didn’t see him try to peace out in the white bronco (ride ‘em cowboy). But the point is, it’s hard to listen to the cops tell us to call in when they don’t do the same.

But there’s always a flip side. God forbid something happens to a friend or family member, I don’t know how I’d handle it if half a community saw what happened and nobody said anything. So, shouldn’t that same thought process apply if I see a crime? Shouldn’t I think about whose friend or family member something just happened to and put a call in?

So, yeah, I don’t know what to do. But if I decide to drop a tip, the good news is I know what number to call.

7 comments:

JusWritin' said...

smh...

I won't even attempt to give an intellectual response to that video.

...I'm sick of niggas

Obama '08 - "the nigga killa"

K Storm said...

SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING. I understand what you are saying about bad cops and the law doing the most dirt. But like u said if something happened to my family member and I knew my entire community knew about it and no one said n e thing....best believe I would SET IT OFF something serious.
Its really known as the bystander effect "the reluctance of bystanders to intervene in an emergency, especially when a person appears to be in distress or when a crime is being committed. Scores of experiments have shown that people are much less likely to intervene in an emergency, and are generally slower to respond, when other people are present than when they are alone, and this phenomenon is sometimes called group inhibition of helping...."

People tend to think "WHY DO I HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING, IM SURE SOMEONE ELSE WILL" If we keep thinking like that, nothing will get solved. But then again, no one wants to put themselves out there like that and become a walking bullseye themselves....ITS A HARD....

Stuprint said...

one word, 4 syllables: education.

I'm just saying in general, I feel like this dude isnt' even clear about the code that he claims he lives by. This is disappointing, the "moral fiber" of our people is diminishing with each day, Obama 08- "the nigga killa" i really gotta stop sayin "nigga" btw, wtf...

Mr. Hutson said...

Bystander effect as evidenced by The Kitty Genovese Story. Yeah, that tripped me out when I heard about it in psych class.

Mysonne is hurt 'cause he did a bid for not talking. Ok. It just trips me out that he's talking about the "moral fiber" of the streets. There are too many things that happen to too many innocent people (in quite a few cases, just wrong place/wrong time) for him to go on this rant.

And really, does he have nothing better to do than yap about a 30 second commercial? Again, I'm just glad that T.I. is smart enough to weigh the pros and cons and do what he had to do.

By the way, I definitely got my vote on or as my sticker says, Yo voté! Obama 08. By the way, has PTM officially endorsed Obama?

Stuprint said...

you betchur ass we have, f&^k daddy yankee!! :)

JusWritin' said...

LMFAO!!!!!

Mr. Hutson said...

Yeah. the smiley face was a nice touch.