Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"Like Cochran...you'll never keep me boxed in"



Take A Ride
Written by K. Billy

I hate boxes. I really do.

Why? Well, they represent a sense of confinement, a kind of encapsulation. Boxes are meant to contain. So, that being said, I abhor boxes whether they be of the cardboard variety or on the U.S. census.

This is especially true when it comes to music, even more so when it comes to hip-hop. I’ll never be one to admit that I was always a hip-hop fan. I didn’t really start following it until the 6th grade; the year that “Crossroads” came out. That alone should tell you where I come from as it pertains to this genre. Bone Thugs at their core could be called hip-hop, but they could also be called a rather neat fusion of gospel and R&B with some old school scat influences. Having that as my benchmark, I find it easy to see why I am so psyched about Kanye West’s latest project “808’s and Heartbreak.”

I’ve heard quite few people talk about the tracks he’s released (officially and unofficially) so far and the reception is quite mixed with very little middle ground. It’ll either be his worst album or his best, depending on your point of view. Personally, if one is going to put hip-hop in it’s own box of lyrics + bass heavy beat = dope hip-hop, then one will probably be disappointed, at least from the tracks I’ve heard (“Paranoid” and “Street Lights” come to mind). However, if one is willing to accept that, at this point in his career, Mr. West is attempting to build something bigger than hip-hop in it’s traditional sense, then “808’s” is a much easier pill to swallow, especially if you look at his progression from “College Dropout” to “Graduation.”

In a time when formulas are so rampant and artists tend to be afraid to just try something new, what I’ve been hearing from ‘Ye, while not always “dope” is always refreshing to my senses. Yet, you are reading the opinion of someone who has on his play list The Doors, Fall Out Boy, OutKast, Jay-Z, M.I.A. and Johnny Cash in that order. I’ve always preferred it when artists went away from the norm and tended to like it when no one else was really digging what said artist was releasing. Kanye, from what I have heard, is beginning to make a sort of “world-hop,” incorporating styles from the electronica heavy songs of UK pop, tribal drums and lilting rhythms from the streets of South Africa and Madonna-esque dance pop into his “brand” of hip-hop, which is what his has become.

I’ll reiterate, if you’ve been paying attention, you could kind of see this album coming, especially considering the terribly daunting circumstances that led up to his performance of “Love Lockdown” at the 2008 MTV VMA’s. There are some who would stand pat in their affirmation that “his music is not hip-hop anymore.” But, then didn’t hip-hop start as a raw expression of emotional struggle and mental despair? Listening to the lyrics of “Heartless” and “Street Lights,” it sounds to me like that’s exactly what Kanye West is doing.

I’ll never fault anyone for disliking any music. Hell, the first Jay-Z album I bought was In My Lifetime, Vol. 2. My musical tastes really run all across the spectrum. However, it certainly becomes rather tiring to opine for “classics” and ignore the dope new stuff that’s being put out. I love The Cool Kids for their bare-bones, snare-heavy beats and smooth 80’s flow, but I also dig Kid Cudi hard (pause) for his desire to move in and around the musical spectrum. His is the type of music that truly blends genres.

So, on November 24th, I will be purchasing “808’s and Heartbreak” and I can’t wait. It’s a musical journey that I am eager to embark on.

Besides, I’m almost positive there will be no box to check off in an attempt to categorize it.

K. Billy



3 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

I'm a simple guy. I either like it or I don't. Loved the Love Below. Can't stop listening to the One Republic CD. I think Esthero is the bomb. I like all sorts of stuff.

As for Kanye, I think Heartless is tough. Really didn't like Anyway. Robocop...extra ungood. Love Lockdown, not really where it's at for me.

I love passion, but people forget that passion can lead to a movie like the Hulk. Instead of being a fun comic flick it turned into a 2.5 hour case study. Passion = passion. Passion doesn't always equal dope music.

But I feel you on being boxed in. To each his/her own.

K Storm said...

K. Billy=dope. I love all types of music....(EXECPT COUNTRY...I JUST CAN'T GET WITH IT...ILL WORK ON IT FOR 09 THOUGH) If it makes me feel something, Its entertaining to me, I can't help but give it a chance. Even if its in a different language, there are some songs that just take u past that. ONE of my favorite songs is from the MOVIE Ali's soundtrack, I think its called TOMORROW. I have no idea what is being said, but the way I feel when that song comes on/ when it came on in the last scene of ALI....WOW.....SPEECHLESS. I think Ye is going to take HIP-HOP to another level. HIP HOP IS ART. Ye said in an interview that he just wanted to express himself in the most therapeutic way he knew how. With his moms death and him breaking up with his FIANCE...he said this was the best way he knew how to express his feelings other than killing himself.....
I will definitely support and listen with an open ear/ heart.
PTM !!!!!!

JusWritin' said...

I feel what you're saying kid but just because I have a definition for what Hip-Hop is, it doesn't mean that I've boxed it in to the point where I don't allow anyone to get creative.


Like Just K said, The Love Below was a dope ass album but It wasn't a Hip-Hop album. Neither was Miseducation and that was one of my favorite albums ever.

My problem with Ye isn't because he stepped out of the box, its because he's making music that I don't like. I don't like that vocoder or autotune or whatever its called. He's using it way too much. I'm just not feeling the music, i don't care what category it does or doesn't fit in.

When the album drops, I could tell everyone how great of an album I think it is but in the next sentence i will say that it wasn't Hip-Hop.