Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, February 6, 2009

Let me hold that beat...


Photo by Ron Thompson
When Sampling Goes Wrong
written by 4Bars

I’m listening to the radio today (as I am a lot during the week, sadly) and I hear the piano riff and drums from the T.L.C. classic “Baby, Baby, Baby”. Naturally I’m hyped to hear an oldie but goodie, but all of a sudden something strange happens: F’n BOW WOW starts rapping about some chick, WTF!?! Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time a great song has been sampled and not only is it done poorly but does the original a complete disservice. Below are a few more that come to mind, I’ve included R&B songs that butcher hip hop classics as well and a couple of other travesties, feel free to add:

1. Jay-Z and Beyonce- “03 Bonnie and Clyde”: I love Hov and B, but this was just wrong, on so many levels, it honestly disgraced two hip hop legends: Pac and Ice Cube, honorable mention to Yo-Yo.
VS.

2. P Diddy ft R Kelly “Satisfy You”- I know some of ya’ll liked this joint, but it ruined another classic, shout out to the Luniz.
VS.

3. J-Lo “I’m Real”- How you gon sample a damn song for your song “I’m Real”, the very definition of a hypocrite, R.I.P. Rick James.
VS.

4. Chingy- “One Call Away”: I don’t think Chingy has ever done anything right in hip hop, certainly not his blasphemous use of a good SWV song.
VS.

5. Ashanti- “Baby”- now you KNOW I was heated about this one, I almost liked the song on the strength of it being a Face sample and she actually used him in the song a little, but at the end of the day, this was just wrong.
VS.


Honorable Mention: Beyonce - “I’ma Diva”, whoever produced this joint literally just took the “A Milli” beat and added a different voice sample. I was SO disappointed when I realized it, shiftlessness at it’s finest.

4 comments:

JusWritin' said...

GREAT POST MAN!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

1. Yo, i'm still mad at jay for messing with that 2Pac classic. I didn't even want to hear the rest of the album after that. Extra props for the Ice Cube reference, i never though of that. Him and Yo-Yo killed it!

2. damn, that Kelz and Diddy is a guilty pleasure for me man. I kinda dig that song. The Luniz is by far a classic upon classic but i can't be mad :)

3. the J.Lo joint (c. #2) I just wish that she didn't say nigga at the end. Ruined the whole damn song when i heard the unedited version.

4. Don't care enough about Chingy (or SWV for that matter) to have an opinion about this song.

5. See the Ashanti song that pissed me the F**k off is Foolish. I have a story behind this. I was driving in my car a few years ago in Boston and i had the radio on. I heard the beat for what i thought was Biggie's One More Chance and i was losing my mind - GOT HYPED then...

"See my days are gone without you"

WTF?

I was soooo pissed that i turned off the radio and cursed all the way home. I refused to listen to that song for 6 months. (i didn't even see the video until much later after that too)

I was soooo pissed they messed w/ that joint.

K Storm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K Storm said...

LMAO!!! JUSHH... I can imagine u getting all hyped and cursing ur radio out...

The worse part of sampling is the psych out fans get when they are listening to the radio. U GET ALL HYPED LIKE OMG!!! THEY ARE THROWING IT BACK...AND THEN...... U hear someone else either singing or rapping some crazy $hit and messes ur entire vibe up...
I LOVED SATIFY U...SO IM OK WITH THAT ONE....

Mr. Hutson said...

Can't begin to tell you how pissed I was when I thought an old skool Janet joint was coming on and I found out it was Bust it Baby. Son, Bust it Baby!!! The anger. The rage. It was real.