Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Monday, February 23, 2009

When everyone was sleeping... I peeped it.




Tuesday: Hi, My Name Is...
written by JusHH

You ever called someone? Nah, not on the phone, I mean to be the first person to recognize the greatness in someone and say something like, “yo, dude is sick, he’s gonna be one of the best.” That feeling is the best – especially when no one agrees with you when you first call him. That gives you bragging rights forever. I can’t say that I’ve called that many people but this one in particular will hold me down for the rest of my life.

I remember when I first saw him. I was watching MTV and I caught the song in the middle of the second verse. Although the flow was slow, the way he put his rhymes together, I knew that this was no accident. It was weird because it was difficult not to judge this book by its cover but something about the rhymes seemed authentic. Another thing that threw me for a loop was his co-signer.

Wait, was that Dre?

If there was one thing for certain, when Dre put his name behind a new artist, you better pay attention. And pay attention I did. So when that video came on again, I was ready and peeped it from start to finish. The way he mixed comedy with complex raps was something that I really hadn’t seen before. At that moment, I knew dude was nice and I officially called… Eminem.

Of course I took s**t for it. “Who the white boy that Dre signed? Please. You trippin’ Jus.” None of my boys had my back. They thought I was going crazy. They also laughed at my affinity for Korn and Aerosmith as well. No one I knew saw the skills that Em had.

So the day the album dropped, my boy Ill, who always went and bought albums with me, and I headed to this spot on Long Island called CD Warehouse. It was the only place I knew at the time that bought and sold used CD’s. We get there and we go through all of the used albums looking for some hidden classics. I get to the counter and I ask the clerk, for that new “Slim Shady” album (I’m not even sure that I knew that his official rap name was Eminem). Ill immediately gives me that look that I’m about to throw away $15 and he’s gonna laugh his ass off if the album turns out to be wack. The funniest part was that the clerk, who was white, literally laughed at me like I was from another planet or something. I shrugged it off and took my Slim Shady LP to the crib.

I of course, was not disappointed. The cartoonish, over-the-top content obviously jumped off the page, but it was the raw skills that drew me. Hearing Em open up on “Role Model” with, “I’m cancerous/ so when I diss, you wouldn’t wanna answer this/ if you responded back, with a battle rap you wrote for Canibus”, gave me a straight up Fanatic moment! The sheer brilliance behind the “98 Bonnie and Clyde” where he talks about killing Kim (for the first time) in “baby gibberish” to his young Hallie, is impossible to ignore. Hearing stories about poppin’ pills, getting beat up by bullies and horrible parenting was refreshing during a time where everyone was blinged up and thugged down. The back and forth with then unknown Royce the 5’9 was off the hook. The album just blew me away and its still in rotation today.

So yeah we all know where the story went. Eminem burst onto the scene sold 3 million records with his debut. Then he dropped the Marshall Mathers LP and changed the game forever. This led to Grammy’s and ultimately people giving him the title of one of the best to ever do it. Well, guess what, I saw it a long time ago when everyone was still laughing at the white boy trying to rap. I called Eminem and I’m damn proud of it because he is still in my Top 5 and produced one of my favorite albums of all time (The Eminem Show). You gotta love what Dre and Em did back in ’99. They knew what they were up against: Vanilla Ice set white rappers back 15 years with his display of “talent”. They both knew Eminem could rap circles regardless of his lack of melanin. So they introduced Em to the world in the most straightforward way…

Hi, my name is…

And the skills did the rest.

10 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

Damn. Good call, pimpin'. I thought he would do ok, but I didn't eventually see him becoming that great. I didn't realize people would take to him, but I knew he had skills.

I'll tell you who I've been hyping since the first song I heard from him: Drake.

Yes sir, wheel chair Jimmy from Degrassi. Way back when I first saw Replacement Girl I knew he had talent. If you go back a while, you'll see me mention him a few times in my comments. Now he's getting the Weezy cosine and he's signed to interscope. Drake will blow. I can feel it. And I love. 'Cause I called it.

JusWritin' said...

I also called Lupe. The moment i heard "Switch" on allhiphop, it was a wrap for me. You couldn't tell me nothing.

Mr. Hutson said...

Word. When I first heard Touch the Sky I knew he'd be a star, which is pretty odd. A lot of times those features don't go anywhere.

I'm not gonna mention the times I missed the boat, though. It hurts when you call one and keep riding out w/ him/her and it never happens. It's a painful thing.

Anonymous said...

Slim, became a believer when I heard "Rock Bottom". At the time I was an avid Canibus fan, thought Canibus was short of the messiah of intelligent hip-hop. And yet the second I heard Em the only thing on my mind was, "its over for Bis".

Drake is a good call, Ive been stuck since "Brand New" about a year ago.

Delvin said...

I agree with the Dre bit. Anyone that dre has an interest in is bound to be a star whether big time or not. Eminem, 50 Cent, The Game etc
And damn yeah, when this dude came out, i was like wtf man! The 90's rap had advanced the hip-hop genre by atleast 50 years and another white rapper aint gonna do any good.
BUT Eminem's first debut single (my name is) just caught my attention so much that i HAD to buy his new album.
And boy, i wasnt dissapointed. TMMLP was one of the greatest album ever selling over 70 million copies. And the lead single The Real slim shady was even popular on the non hip-hop people. From then on, eminem gained global recognition with his "pop" singles and emotional songs.
THere was just no stopping him.
His hit film 8Mile with Britany Murphy also proved to be a great hit.

Anonymous said...

You definitely got it right on that one. I thought he was "nice" but didn't think he could sustain it. But like you said...when he dropped Marshall Mathers...it was a done deal. That's when I really paid attention. Good job for sticking to your guns!

Anonymous said...

You definitely got it right on that one. I thought he was "nice" but didn't think he could sustain it. But like you said...when he dropped Marshall Mathers...it was a done deal. That's when I really paid attention. Good job for sticking to your guns!

JusWritin' said...

DJ Deuce... yo, "Rock Bottom" is crazy. But when i heard "Just Don't Give a F**k" I lost it!

"... you little like that Kim lady/ I'm buzzin', dirty dozen, naughty rotten rhymer/ cursin' at you playas worse than Marty Schottenheimer."

WKDSENSE... yeah that 8 mile is of course crazy. And "Lose Yourself" is legendary.

X... u know i stick to the guns. Would I be me, if i didn't? haha

JusWritin' said...

Just K, I think you should write the yang to my yin post and talk about the people we attempted to call but fell on their face. haha.

K Storm said...

That would be a long post.
Sometimes you call someone and they just mess that $hit up something serious....either bad management or personal issues always mess up the shoulda coulda woulda's off hip hop....