Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, February 27, 2009

Where's Miss Cleo when you need her?




Where Do We Go From Here?
written by Four Bars

I thought about my favorite rappers right now (Hov, Ye, Killer Mike, Face, Kast, UGK, LB, among others) and how I often answer the question of “yo, do you like ___” with “I haven’t really heard him, I kind of just listen to a handful of people I know will make good music and pick up the other stuff if I hear it and like it.” This seems unfair and close-minded, I know, but I honestly don’t have time to listen to EVERY new “hot” rapper that comes along. Lately, however, there have been some cats that are catching and keeping my attention and it just makes me think: “Where is hip-hop headed?”

Honestly, in 10 years, 3-6 of my favorite rappers probably won’t rap anymore cause they’ll be in their 40s and while that hasn’t stopped some hip-hop legends from rapping today, seeing Hov and Face rap at 48, might be like watching Roy Jones Jr. well after he should’ve hung them up: painful and sad.

Excluding the current superstars in their prime (Ye, Wayne, T.I., Luda, etc.) there are two who really stand out to me as young and up and coming. I downloaded two mixtapes by Drake and Kid Cudi and was honestly blown away by both, especially considering I hadn’t heard one of their songs on the radio previous to hearing their mixtapes. I’m impressed by their originality and charisma and I see great things for them both. My only fear is that there won’t be enough torch bearers to come along with them. I hope I’m wrong and acts like The Cool Kids can tow their line as well but I come back to my original question: where is hip-hop headed? I honestly don’t know, but with the current group of talent and the young bucks coming into the game, I’m optimistic.

2 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

Along with those two, I kind of dig Charles Hamilton's stuff too. There are a few promising acts that have the potential to do some bonkers stuff. Like Asher Roth is on his college kid thing. If he really grabs that audience, then grows with it, he can go to a good place as well.

I just wish I understood the process a bit more. Like really, how much of a buzz do you need before you take a potential hit to radio stations? I feel like those guys and even Wale have potential gems that are lost in the underground shuffle.

I will say this. The new class is pretty diverse and they each have their own distinct styles and personalities that would help them stand out. Soooooooooo cold that Drake wasn't in that New Class XXL.

Stuprint said...

Yeah man, I've been on Wale for a min, and I just peeped that Asher Roth mixtape as well, I chose Drake and Cudi because, to me, they have the diversity and charisma to really reach that upper echelon of hip hop artists (read:crossover and street appeal). Artistically, I would liken Wale to Jadakiss and Roth to Bubba Sparxx. All are great lyricists (yes bubba sparxxx is nice wit it) but none really have the potential to blow like a kanye (cudi) or a...well, really couldnt think of a parallel to drake off top, but you know what i mean, haha.