Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

confession...


Aight so I download...
written by gWiz

After reading JusHH post it was easy to write this. I remember my first real CD I was able to buy by myself (I bought a couple bootleg tapes first), it was DMX, "It's Dark And Hell Is Hot". I was hype not only because I got the CD but it came with a bonus disc. It had some EPMD tracks on there, some ONYX and other artist. Now to my point, in 2008 to get an album off the Internet takes no effort, but to me its like everything else. I wouldn't buy sneakers without trying them on first then walking over to the mirror and see how my jeans fall on them. Then I try to picture them with some other clothes to see if they are worth copping. When I go buy some clothes same thing, I try them on and see if this is something I want to drop my money on. Why is music different?

We all know we can't judge an album off the single they put out. There has been plenty of strong singles followed by weak albums. Now I actually get my music from legal source but I am still downloading it. To me it is like trying on those sneakers, if they fit right I'm getting them. If I like the music and the music is worth paying for I go to the store on the release date to pick it up. When some Jordan's come out (some retros) I know what I am gettng, I know the quality, so I don't even try those on I just bring them to the counter. Why? because years of consistency I know the product I'm getting. Artist consistent with the quality of their music? It is a no brainer I'm going to the store to get the album.

One more question. I can download and also buy bootleg movies just as easy as I can get the music, but why do I continue to pay to see certain movies? I know the quality of a Denzel movie, a Spike Lee movie etc etc you get the point. I feel if the artist is consistent with the quality of their music then people don't feel robbed when they buy their CD. Be consistent with the quality people who know me know I will go buy the cd till then So What I Download!!!!....

9 comments:

Mimi said...

EXACTLY.
And thats why artist's bitching and moaning about leaking... so what! Take the Nas approach, "they're leaking... they're leaking... and I'm so fuckin excited." Thats right... cause if you know your product is crack... people will buy that shit anyway. Rappers kill me talking they have to support families too.. but its okay for us to spend our $15.00 on some weak shit?

Or if you're in some odd gray area-- a la Carter 3.

too many rappers/artists are okay with putting out a 1/2 assed project and them blaming the label for fucking it up before the 1st week numbers are out... NO... how about you make your next move, your best move....

..cause if not... I got ones for the chinaman hollering "CD FYE-dolla"

Mr. Hutson said...

"So What I Download!!!"

Wow. Got a little confrontational at the end there.

So you gotta see how the jeans fall, huh? Well, as a guy who has not an ounce of fashion sense, these falling jeans references are lost on me. I like to hope my jeans don't fall when I'm walking, running from cops; you know, things ni**as do.

Seriously, though. I get you completely. I don't disagree. The only problem is there are a lot of people who download and don't buy the product. Yeah Luda, T.I., Kanye, etc. will still sell, but nowhere near as much as they could've back in the day. That means people are downloading but ain't copping.

Anonymous said...

I was seriously walking down the street yesterday thinking about all of this after j's post. I've come to this conclusion. I've never fired a gun. I've never been involved in a drug transaction. I've never had a woman cross state lines with my stash where her thong go. A majority of lyrics these days center around these actions. You don't let anybody tell you what to do. But get most of these underselling artists on the real and the bad guys out there are the ones downloading their music and not paying for it. I'm gonna put out a song about not buying any albums and it'll be the hardest track out, cause I'm the criminal. And I learned it by watching you.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA...

Wiz you my boy but you know you can't compare stealing music to buying clothes in the store. You might be able to try thme joints out but you can't walk out the store, go to a party and hang them up in your closet unless you pay for them first. (lol) It would be one thing if we sampled the music by streaming it on the website and that's all we could do, but we taking the music, throwing it on the MP3, burning CD's w/o paying for it.

(hypocrite meter rising to 10 - unstable levels)

I'm not saying I don't do the same thing but don't make that excuse. (haha)

But nah, I agree with all y'all about not wanting to buy bulls**t albums. Like doesn't matt r said a while back, Kanye and Wayne proved that people are willing to cop albums if they think its going to be good.

The only thing i have a beef with is people who DL an album, love it, and then won't support him/her in the store, that's not cool. We at PTM def want people to support that real s**t.

Remember GP? Being able to cop albums just off GP? That's the problem, there's no more GP albums out there anymore. Save for a few, you are risking your $15.00 with just about everyone... I want GP back.

... I see a post coming.

I'm with you tho Wiz, make better s**t and I'll buy it.. till then
So what if Wiz downloads and then I ask him to send it to me?!?!?

Stuprint said...

Ditto Jus, as a dude who downloads albums mercilessly, theorhetically speaking (they might be watching), if an album is good, i'ma cop, maybe not right away, but i will buy the album. BUT i do know a lot of cats who are like "i already got it, why buy it?" I would mention names but Juan would be mad at me. So it is mostly about quality but also about the individual. I think we're witnessing a backlash at this point of 1)people being tired of copping bs records and 2)the market being opened up by lots more ways to consume the music, bs or not.

Anonymous said...

yea yea JusHH you cant walk out the store before paying for it (clothes and stuff), but I know what I got when I go to the register to pay for it. I cant speak for everybody else, if I like something I will go get the CD. Nah I dont agree with just downloading everything and never buying an album especially when its good, but im not going to be dumb go to the store and buy your CD after hearing the mediocre single when you have not delivered quality work in the past.

How many times you see a shirt or something online and want to order it and be like damn I want to try it on first before I just order this? I can compare the music and clothes JusHH damn man

Anonymous said...

Also the reason why we still go to the movies to watch a movie despite having access to the bootleg is because of the experience. Unless someone has a 200ft tv screen in their house with access to popcorn and sour patch kids, you can only go to the movies to get that same experience. I can't imagine watching certain movies for the first time on my 27" screen (lol).

Music on the other hand, same experience no matter where you get the music. Unless its a live concert, music sounds the same everywhere.

Anonymous said...

damn Wiz fine. Compare it to clothes. jeez.

by the way, folks... check out gWiz' radio show monday nights at 7pm at www.worldcastradio.com (hope I got that right) Quality s**t!

Anonymous said...

haha Thanks JusHH for letting me do that I feel better. I feel you on the movies even though The bootleg directors cut of American Gangster looked pretty nice on the 40 inch flat hahaha.

thanks for the plug too haha