Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, July 18, 2008

Face Mob...


Last Real Ni**a Alive
written by 4bars

Since I could form a decent argument about the best rappers alive, Scarface has ALWAYS been in my top 5. My argument has always been that he is the one successful rapper to NEVER sell out or crossover just to sell a record, not even once. The closest Face has ever come to a “crossover” record would be these three records: “My Block” (nothing pop about it, an even more hood “Hard Knock Life”), “F**k Faces” (any song with Tela and Too Short with Devin the Dude on the hook can’t ever be ‘pop’), or the Geto Boys hip-hop classic “My Mind Is Playing Tricks On Me”. The phrase “keeping it real” has always applied to Uncle Face. I know what you’re thinking, “what about ‘Girl U Know’ with Trey Songs? Hmmm?” Honestly, while it looks pop from the title and feature, go and listen to the lyrics, it’s an ode to the single life but more importantly, a cautionary tale about falling too quickly into marriage or a commitment. For that added mmph, watch the video, Bun-B’s face at the alter is PRICELESS!!

I can remember listening to “Look Me in My Eyes” on an airplane flight and mean mugging the stewardess when she asked me if I wanted peanuts or pretzels. I remember watching the video for “Never Seen a Man Cry” and damn near shittin myself when the dude got snatched up. “F**k Faces” was my anthem for a summer in which I saw none (cruel irony). The Fix is one of my favorite hip-hop albums of all time. I still enjoy hearing Scarface’s rendition of the Itsy Bitsy Spider come on my Ipod: “Mr Mr Scaaaarface come walkin down the block, out jump some fiends and steeeeaaallls all his rocks, pullllsss out a guuunnn and shoots down all the fiends, and Mr Mr Scaaaarface went up the block again....” I listen to “Now I Feel Ya” ALLLL the way through cause its such an honest song. I could go on and on about how Face’s albums, singles, concepts, persona, and overall influence shows through and through in all facets of hip-hop but the legacy he’s left speaks for itself.

Face has never had a smash single since his Geto Boys days yet is one of the most revered rappers from any coast. The amount of respect that Scarface garners from all has always surprised me, in a good way. He’s a southern pioneer and has worked with everybody from Jay-Z to J-Prince. UGK, Outkast, and Scarface are three parts of hip-hop that I simply cannot live without, but without Face and the Geto Boys, the other two don’t come about. The original southern “gangsta” rapper, his authenticity and refusal of conformity make him unique on so many levels. His lyrics are always honest, most times revealing sadistic and dark parts many artists never dare even discuss. I realize I’ve typed waayyy more than I had planned, but I want you to listen to The Fix and Last of a Dying Breed and tell me that Face isn’t the “Last Real Ni**a Alive”.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scarface is no doubt a living legend and I expect VH1 to give him his just due on one of their next couple award shows.

Bars, I'll add his most recent album, "Made" (PTM #10 in 2007) to that list of Face albums that you need to check out.

Scarface is probably the best rapper in terms of visual imagery. His rhymes are so descriptive; you can literally picture in your mind what he's talking about.

And he did Smile with 2Pac which is one of the best songs ever!

And yes, he's never "sold out" during his entire career. No videos with nekked chicks and poppin' criss, nothing. And he's been able to do so because he's an incredible business man too.

One of his biggest money making moves. He was hired to run Def Jam South and the first rapper that Scarface signed was....

Ludacris.

FACE MOB'

Mr. Hutson said...

Most slept-on, easy. You think it's his refusal to ever "crossover" that usually keeps him out of the convo of GOATs?

Stuprint said...

this comment is two fold cause i just watched arsenio's interview and i had forgotten how hard he went HHAHAHAHHAHA, but as far as Face goes, i think the reason he's never mentioned has several factors, him being from the south is DEF one of em. His refusal to crossover probably contributes as well, i cant say what single thing keeps him out, but its a damn shame that he's out, period. Pac, Jay, Outkast (3 and 4), and Face are my top 5, in that order