Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Monday, July 28, 2008

Fanatic...


THAT’S MY S**T!!!
written by JusHH

I can’t lie, I had nothing for this week. At 8pm on Sunday, I didn’t know what I was going to write for tomorrow. So I decided to do some non-related work hoping that not thinking about it will some how lead to inspiration. I decided to put in 2Pac’s All Eyez on Me to rock out to and what I did next gave me more than enough to write about…

“I won’t deny it, I’m a straight rider. You don’t wanna f**k with me, got the pol-…”

Stop. Repeat.

“I won’t deny it, I’m a straight rider. You don’t wanna f**k with me, got the pol-…”

Stop again. Repeat.

“I won’t deny it, I’m a straight rider. You don’t wanna f**k with me, got the pol-…”

See when the bass line drops when Pac says “police”, that’s my s**t!!! I did that stop and repeat thing at least 5 times. Keep in mind the album came out 12 years ago and I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve heard it but it still makes me do it, every single time.

When you are a fan, and I mean a real fan of Hip-Hop, it makes you do some ridiculous things. For example how many times have you been listening to that joint and you grab the remote control, a brush or fork and act like it’s a microphone. And if there’s nothing around, you ball your fist up and act like you’re rocking a crowd at MSG.

Or what about when you are in the car with your people and that DMX song comes on and you smack your boy in the arm and spit the lyrics in his face like you wrote them yourself. Hell you might even throw the “Arrff, arrff” in there as well.

How your head drops and bobs when the beat for “One More Chance (Remix)” comes on.

How you and your girls made a dance to every song that was played on Hot 97 and did a part of it every time you heard that song.

Or when your G-Dep’s “Special Delivery” came on in the club and you laughed at the kid who ran to the middle and couldn’t really do the Harlem Shake but really acted like he did. But while you were laughing at him, your shoulders started speeding up on the low (haha)

The times you are alone in your crib and Meth & Mary’s “All I Need” came on and you put on a one-person video shoot.

How you close your eyes and stop moving when “Dear Mama” comes on and you just vibe.

Or one of my favorites, you are listening to a Hov joint, catch a line and you have to get up, walk to the other side of the room, and pause it just to say, “Son, did you just hear what the f**k he said?” Then rewind it and analyze that punchline for the next 2 minutes.

What about the times when you’ll listen to 2 minutes and 30 seconds of a song just to get to that Canibus verse on “Beasts from the East”.

When you are rocking Bone Thugs’ “Crossroads” on your headphones and you don’t know any of the damn words except for a few but you scream those joints out! “…sumthin’… sumthin’… I MISS MY UNCLE CHARLES Y’ALL… sumthin’… sumthin’ … SEE YOU AT THE CROSSROADS, CROSSROADS, WHERE YOU WON’T BE LONELAAAYYY.”

I love this s**t. I will always act like I have a mic in my hand. I will always screw up my face when Pun says “flawless victory, you n***as can’t do s**t to me. Physically, lyrically, hypothetically, realistically.” I will always act like I’m in the “Doggy Dogg World” video. And I will always, always rewind the beginning of Disc 1 of 2Pac’s All Eyez on Me album because….


That’s my s**t!

6 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

Man, this post is beautiful.

I remember when I first understood that Jay line off of Volume 3.
"The Mike Jordan of rap, outside Jay working//Now watch how quickly I drop 50."
Yeah, definitely a pause, tap my homeboy and bug out moment.

My new hip-hop moment comes whenever I'm in a white neighborhood and I'm blasting the new Nas joint. Yeah.

K Storm said...

You are official.... GREAT POST

Anonymous said...

y'all should have seen me standing by the radio stopping and repeating that CD over and over again. I really couldn't help it. It was really funny.

Mimi said...

You are so dope.
Your posts always make me smile.
This part made me laugh:

Or one of my favorites, you are listening to a Hov joint, catch a line and you have to get up, walk to the other side of the room, and pause it just to say, “Son, did you just hear what the f**k he said?” [Like you havent heard it 1000 times... but its still THAT dope] Then rewind it and analyze that punchline for the next 2 minutes.

Aww man... this was what I needed in my life today. Great post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the love HustleHer...

yep on the 1,001 listen you still stop it and you still are like, "did you hear that?"

Here's another one...

Using your fingers to count the number of "Too's" in 22 2's.

Butter. Love. lol.

Anonymous said...

I feel you jus. I was listening to illmatic the other day and I bugged out when I heard him say "my style switches like a faggot" even though I heard that line a million and one times haha. I can't count how many text and phone calls I get when a new jay-z song or come out LOL.