Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Thursday, August 7, 2008

"I leave you riddled with basics..."


“He Just Said What?”
written by Doesn't Matt R'

As hip-hop heads we all can stand on common ground despite the differences of race, wealth, geography, gender…all the factors that serve to keep us a part. But a love for the culture brings us all together. Sometimes it’s the only thing you have in common with someone. Bonds are formed and friendships reaffirmed over the shared appreciation of a hot track. You know the scene. It’s high school and you’re sitting in someone’s basement, with a bunch of friends of friends and acquaintances. Some mixtape is on, pumping the current hot tracks—Biggie, Busta Rhymes, early Eminem, DMX, or some Big Pun. Then all of a sudden DWYCK by Gangstarr comes on and your head jerks up. You look around the room and nobody seems to notice. But then there’s one person in the opposite corner of the room mouthing out, “You say Muhammad Ali, I say Cassius Clay. You say butter, I say Parkay.” And that’s that.

It’s a real slice of heaven to throw out some obscure track and have someone eavesdropping fill in a line. I thought I was one of three people who was on to Smoothed a Hustla’s Broken Language until JusHH started spitting lines from it back in the day.

So here’s a few of those tracks that brought people together in my life. Maybe you heard them before.

Cunninglynguists - 616 Rewind



This may be the hottest underground track I’ve ever heard. You want to talk about lyrics, these guys have punchlines like Tyson’s competition in the 80’s. “I make headlines like a courderoy pillow” Come On?

Eyedea - Pushing Buttons



I first heard of this kid right when Em first got signed and I found out what a hip-hop battle was. This was the only track he had out.

Del tha Funkee Homosapien - Mr. Dobbalina



I bought the Source that had the 50 greatest albums of all time and tried to buy all of them. Del’s was on there and this track stood out like Dan Quayle at a spelling bee.

And for those of who never heard it before:

Smoothe da Hustla - Broken Language



These aren’t top 10 tracks on any list except songs that are important in my life. So enjoy and shout em out if you know them.

2 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

Dude!!! The Eyedea song?! That's crazy. I'm really buggin' out over here. I stayed up late one night to watch this huge freestyle battle that was supposed to air on HBO or Showtime. Yup, Eyedea won. Right after that I started looking for songs from him. This was the only song I found. Damn, dude. Damn.

And btw, Broken Language is an absolute classic. No hook, grimey beat. NY hip-hop at it's finest.

Anonymous said...

I left my philly at home, do you have another? I want to get blunted my brother... Subtract, delete.

that's my s**t!!!!!

Yeah Broken Language was on the very 1st Nyquil Mixtape for that very reason. It's so dope its retarded.