Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

We all got em...


Guilty Pleasures
written by Just K

It’s ok. I see your struggle. I understand what you’re going through. I, too, have gone through the same inner conflict.

I’ve seen you in your cars, nodding to the beat before you abruptly change the station.

I’ve seen you at the clubs bobbing your heads, but refusing to join the mob on the dance floor.

And why is that? Because you don’t want to give into your guilty pleasures.

Yeah, I know. It’s hard when you hear that song on the radio. The beat is mesmerizing, the hook is infectious, but they ain’t rapping about a damn thing. I know it hurts. Your inner music elitist doesn’t want to like it. Where are the lyrics? Where’s the substance? What about the social awareness and blah blah blah?

Eh, it’s ok. All that has its place, just as the Young Jocs, the Shawty Los, and SouljahBoys have theirs. I know it’s hard, but repeat after me:

“It’s ok to like music that does not have a deeper meaning. Walking it Out does not mean I am walking away from ‘real hip-hop.’ I am not ashamed to Two-Step, rev my pretend motorcycle or point out that David Ruffin-lookin’ boy. I am a three-dimensional person with three-dimensional music tastes. Umma Do Me.”

Intervention over. Until next time…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I own the Hammer album The Funky Headhunter. Ahh, the truth will set you free.

Anonymous said...

That "Lookin' Boy" track is hilarious, though!!!!

JusWritin' said...

I bought Ahmad's album... you remember him. "Back in the day when I was young, I'm not a kid anymore. But some days I sit and wish I was a kid again."

Yep. Bought the whole shabang. Couldn't just get a downloaded single back then.

lol.

I do feel much better.

Mr. Hutson said...

Wow. Not the Funky Headhunter. Anything but that. Well I bet some money on the horse he owned before he went bankrupt. Yup, Dancehall one me some money.

Freedom is a beautiful thing.

K Storm said...

I secretly loved on AMERICAS BEST DANCE CREW.... when Fanny Pak danced to Vanilla Ice's ICE ICE BABY.............I LOVED IT AND BOPPED TO IT AND SECRETLY WISHED I KNEW THE MOVES AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Dont judge me.....

omg, that feels good...

Mr. Hutson said...

By the way, I hope you guys still got some confessions left. It's gonna get uglier real soon.