Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, August 22, 2008

Straight to press...


Tho’d In The Game
written by 4bars

Recently Mos Def’s “wife” published a book about her sexcapades with various musicians and athletes a la Supahead called, “Breaking the Code of Silence”. Alana Wyatt-Smith is a 7th grade dropout who claims that she did not write this tell all book to gain compensation from sales but to help women, who are living similar lifestyles, reevaluate the way in which they live. Now, I don’t know what she could do to prove that this is truly her intent but after listening to the following conversation in which she repeatedly compares her own story to that of the infamous Supahead, I have my doubts.



To sum up the recording: this chick is out to get hers. Now normally, I wouldn’t have a problem with that cause everybody has to eat and the price one is willing to pay is their own, BUT, it raises the question in my head, are these chicks violating “the game”? If I’m a multi-million dollar athlete or entertainer and I get involved with a chick I’m clearly just trying to have relations with, is it not inherent that we keep our arrangement under wraps unless otherwise instructed? I mean, maybe I’ve got the whole game f’d up but I feel like this is a violation of trust. Some would say that this “forces the media to take a look at the commercial aspects of the Hip Hop industry as it firmly stands in its comfortable nest of greed and misogyny”. But I don’t see how a female further objectifying herself does anything positive besides fattening her own pockets a bit. Is there a problem with rappers and ball players out here tricking relentlessly on these hoes? Yes. Is there rampant misogyny in hip hop? Yes. Is the way to go about combating any of these problems to put on blast the dudes who do foul shit for monetary profit? I think not.

I wouldn’t have as much of a problem with any of these chicks if they were at least honest about what they were doing. If Supahead was just like “I’m tryna get paid, f#%k whatcha heard” I wouldn’t wear any pro-Supahead propaganda, but I would reserve judgment because, at the very least, she was being true to herself. But when chicks like Ms. Smith admit to all kinds of debauchery on a whim but then claim that their tell-all is “a self help book” I have to start questioning not only their intellect but that of the audience they expect to consume this as truth (read: we the people). This shit has got to stop, we gotta do better, we gotta teach the youth better, we just gotta do better, damn….

5 comments:

K Storm said...

As a female the following comments may cause one to shake their head disapprovingly. However, Ill say/ write it n e way. I do not. I REPEAT, DO NOT blame the hip hop artists for treating these "women" like they do. Honestly, if some big booty hoe wants to go on a search for a rapper to get caught up, and later feels some type of way because he started treating her like a piece of meat, then she has to realize thats not the artists fault. Some of these women try to trap artists. If Im not mistaken, doesn't this "woman" have a kid or two with MOS DEF?
Either way, I do NOT blame the artists. RELATIONS, does not mean something different because hes an artist.
If they were in a relationship, then maybe I would look at it differently.
I think the artists need to protect themselves a little better because they are serious targets for a CASE... Its sad to say, but once u get a little bit of fame, u are no longer considered a regular person. U ARE NOW A WALKING ATM/ BANK. So if artists want to act naive and pretend some of these women are just going to go away quietly, then they are sadly mistaken. IF NOT 2,3,4 Years down the line, don't worry, a tell all book has no expiration date. Some years down the line, some ex video girl is going to try to cash in on u.
SAD, BUT TRU...

JusWritin' said...

I lasted 9 minutes, a feat that I'm very proud of, before I couldn't take anymore.

12 years ago Pac made a song called "Wonder why they call you Bitch" and everytime I hear of something like this I always say to myself, "that's why people call these girls bitches."

the game is the game. but part of the game is having a clearly defined role. Now how a person gets paid is their choice and they have the right, but if you put your stuff out there, then we have the right to call it what it is.

I'm with you Bars, I can't see how this helps women in Hip-Hop or in the black community for that matter.

S**t I'm waiting for the tell all book about how a girl went to college, got a degree and got a great career. Then perfectly balanced her family and professional life... yeah that book wouldn't probably sell but she wouldn't be called a Bitch - I betcha.

Mr. Hutson said...

Thank goodness I'm not famous. That way I can lmao at all this without thinking, "damn, that could've been me in the book, kid."

So...lmao!

Now I have to agree w/ everybody here. My biggest thing is don't put pictures of your kids in the book. Seriously, I remember seeing pictures of the video vixen's kid all over her book. All I could think was, "damn, that's supahead kid." I'm pretty sure some of the kids on the playground are gonna think the same thing. I then she had the audacity to say stuff like:
"You're my inspiration, son. You're the reason I do what I do."

Again. lmao. This chick here, no different.

Mimi said...

I seen this Tube a min ago. Shes wrong bc she married him. He shouldnt have married her ass that fast... was the ___________ that good pa?

Im telling you... the new come up is to be a hoe.. get saved.. or get paid and then tell everyone. SMH... tacky. And who wants to hear about Mos Def? NOT.

Anonymous said...

Personally, while I agree it's misleading to act like she's trying to help anyone but herself with this book, I don't see anything wrong with calling these niggas the fuck out.

Fine, rappers/athletes/etc treat these girls like they treat them, but maybe these girls having some treating of their own to do. The good book says what you do in the dark will surely come to light, and if these artists and athletes don't want their business in the street then maybe they shouldn't do that kind of business. Perhaps there is the expectation of privacy, but if you want people to be good to you, you have to be good to them. And hoes are people too. You can't really believe you're gonna fuck her, lay in her hair, put her raggedy ass out and she's not gonna feel some kind of way about it.

Yes, these ladies need to do better, but so do these dudes. She wouldn't have anything to write about if they'd left her hoe ass alone.