Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas rap...


Aight, so I'm watching tv the other night and I see consecutive "Christmas" videos by none other than Jim Jones and the Skullgang and Juelz Santana with some average looking chick singing the hook as Juelz spits rapid fire.

Now, I"m not hatin on either of the Dipsetters but I am a little perturbed that the quality of Hip Hop Christmas songs has been reduced to singing in fake snow about buyin a whole bunch of stuff as you sit on a really expensive

car with a little eye candy in the shot as well. So I thought I'd give props to 3 Hip Hop Holiday joints that really capture the essence of both the holiday and the music.

Run DMC's Christmas in Hollis is the first one that comes to mind.

The beat, the original idea, it's priceless, gotta give props to the pioneers

Death Row's Santa Clause is Comin to the Ghetto.

The title itself is great and the video and lyrics with Nate Dogg soulfully belting "SANTA CLAAUUSEE OOOOOHH OOOH OOOHHHH..." cannot be duplicated, truly a classic.

Quad City DJ's Whatchu Want for Christmas

This one packs serious southern flavor and from the first time I heard this when I was about 12-13ish, I was hooked, my man opens the songs with

"AY PLAYA WHATCHU GONNA GET FOE, FOE CHRISTMAS, WHATCHU GONNA GET THAT BOOOYY....", needless to say, once it had gotten to the 12 days of christmas hood style "FIIIIIVE MMOONTHS FREE REEENNNTTT!!" There

wasn't much left to be said.

These are 3 of my faves, which ones did I miss? Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to errbody.

4bars

2 comments:

JusWritin' said...

dawgs, this post was awesome... Everytime I hear DMC say It's Christmas time in Hollis Queens, I BUG OUT!!!!

I completely forgot about that Death Row song.

The Quad City joint is FIRE... i never hear it before... too dope.

I love Hip-Hop!

Mr. Hutson said...

Daaaaaaaaaamn. Quad City DJs. Wow. Talk about the throwback joints.