Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, December 12, 2008

YOOOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!




4 Bars- I F’s wit Soulja Boy
written by 4Bars

Ok, so in the past few weeks I’ve seemingly gone against everything that I’ve ever stood for as far as hip hop, endorsing the likes of Jeezy and T-Pain and this week will be no different because lately I’ve been really impressed by the one, the only YOUUUUUUUUUUU know who I’m talking about: Soulja Boy Tell Em.

Most thought he was a one hit wonder with his debut “Crank That” which is still a hit nationwide among drunken college coeds. But over the past few months I’ve noticed that this 18 year old is REALLY smart. Now I know what you’re saying, “didn’t you hear what that stupid mf said about the slavemasters, tattoos, and ice?” and my answer is yes, of course I heard that ignorant ass ish, I was appalled. But everybody makes mistakes and he’s a teenager thrust into success and a spotlight well beyond his years and so far he has handled it well.

He survived the initial haters who compared him to acts like “Dem Heisman Boys” or “Dem Franchize Boyz”. And recently he has handled beef with rap legend Ice-T and a former manager who apparently stole $40k. SB could’ve easily crumbled or pulled some classless stunt to sully his name but what does he do? He utilizes his brain and the internet to further propel his success while simultaneously squashing these apparent “beefs”. No bloodshed, no dis records, just truthful words.

With no formal training or experience in an industry that has countless pitfalls SB’s success as a musician is commendable; he wrote and produced his own successful debut album while marketing himself and utilizing the greatest tool musicians have today: the internet.

I recently saw the video for his new song “Bird Walk” and was literally drawn out of my seat trying to do the dance. Soulja Boy continues to produce an extremely attractive product to his target audience and while his message is questionable at times, it’s coming from an 18 year old kid living a dream. SB is a guilty pleasure for most over the age of 21 who have found themselves “Supermanning” or “Super Soaking” a hoe or two in the club but it is honestly fun, dance music by a young cat doing his thing.

3 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

Can't say I've supersoaked any hoes recently, but I definitely get what you're saying.

I don't really have a problem with SB. I just don't think he can actually rap well (either that, or he just chooses not to). But in terms of making himself a household name, for a young'n to do it the way he did is all sorts of impressive. I can't quite endorse shouting out slavemasters, but I can say I'm happy to see another young man making money and inspiring people to just have fun.

K Storm said...

Ok...... I give him credit for not taking the violent route and doing it his way.

And I do think he is a smart kid.
I can't feel his lyrics though and I still don't...or won't fully understand the whole supersoaking that .......

I too danced to CRANK DAT....but I'm afraid I am getting too old to cont. dancing to it when it comes on in the club...

JusWritin' said...

well you know how i feel about Mr. Superman. I've written two posts about him pretty much riding for him. Like Just K said, he can't rap, but i respect him and root for him to be successful.

In a commercial they said he's had over 5,000,000 digital downloads. At $0.99, you do the math.

Wow.