Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Couple bars...


Today I do a simple post, full of simple quotes

‘Cause too many times, hot rhymes are defined by similes and punchlines

I mean, don’t get me wrong, those are fine

But what about the kind that speaks to the soul instead of the mind?

Might not make you say oooooh or press rewind

Instead, you simply say, I was just there

Or he’s speaking what I’m living ‘tween the bass and the snare

Or this is my life that I’m hearing on these tracks

Or he’s feeling what I’m feeling I can hear it in his raps

Funny when you realize you’re not alone

You find a friend in the person on the microphone

Something you can relate to in something they wrote

And it wasn’t complicated, it was just a simple quote - Just K

My prayers seem too long
I fall asleep before the ending, don't even get to say Amen - Andre 3000

They say a white man’s yes is a black maybe - Common

And they say it's the white man I should fear
But it's my own kind doing all the killing here - 2pac

Niggas fear what they don't understand, hate what they can't conquer - Nas

Do you really want to win or just look good losing? - Phonte

Sometimes you’ve gotta stand by your failures to recognize your success -Joe Budden

See Martin See Malcolm

See Biggie see Pac see success and its outcome
See Jesus see Judas see Caesar see Brutus
See success is like suicide
Suicide is a suicide
If you succeed, prepare to be crucified - Jay-Z

Picture me inside the misery of poverty,
no man alive has ever witnessed struggles I survived - 2pac

Standing on stage in front of thousands
Don't amount to me not havin my father
That's real talk, I know a lot of y'all got 'em
But you need him way more when you gotta go without him
And I'm without him, but that's life y'all
Sometimes you gotta learn to swim with no lifeguard - Lil’ Wayne


I remember being kicked out the house
'cause I looked just like you
Said I'd be nothing but a crook
just like you…

But dog I can't see it at all, sh*t
We never kicked it at all
We never pitched or kicked at a ball
dog, you never taught me sh*t
how to fight, ride a bike, fix a flat
none of that sorts of sh*t - Beanie Sigel

All my life I been considered as the worst
Lyin' to my mother, even stealin' out her purse
Crime after crime, from drugs to extortion
I know my mother wished she got a f*ckin' abortion - Notorious BIG

I turn my TV off, cause I don't wanna look at the news
Hard times seeing people crying, Arabs and Jews
Fighting for they religion, niggas living like niggas
Mexicans on the border, white boys saying kill em
Politicians playing puppet, gotta answer me this
Do you believe you really God? My answer is this… - Scarface

10 comments:

JusWritin' said...

Ladies and Gentlemen... Just Mother****in K!!!!

This post is exactly why I've said since we started PTM, lyrics come first. Without knowing the beat or flow to those songs, you can still feel those rhymes.

Great job.

Stuprint said...

(sigh) lyrics are great, these are all wonderfully poignant quotes about the hard times that inner city youth and people in general go through, but hip hop cant be all pain and negative reality. (this comment is geared more towards JusHH) ass shakin is sometimes a welcome release to all the shit that "we" go through; no father, welfare, poverty, jealousy, etc. if life was all bad and pain, wtf would be the point? I'm f'n with shawty in the apple bottom jeans, as long as she let me give that big booty a slaaaapppp ("HEY!")

JusWritin' said...

gear it as much as you want you shortsighted southerner. no where in my comment did i say lyrics have to be all about pain. You can talk about fly s**t and gettin a** without sounding like Young Joc.

"she liked my necklace, started relaxin', now that's what the f**k I call a chain reaction"

"When it comes to sex, I'm similar to the thriller in Manila, honeys call me bigga the condom filler"

"I wanna see you satisfied inside out. Once I'm in you ain't gonna want me to slide out. You tell your girlfriends they gonna wanna try it out. A lil more of this will losen you up .What we can't do in the club, we can do in the truck"

So stop making excuses for corny ass rappers.

Stuprint said...

"i'm hearin ring tone this, and ring tone that, tryna label southern dance music ring tone rap, they hatin on the cool but aint a damn thang funny, they aint hatin on the music, they hatin on the money..."

K Storm said...

YO!!! IS THIS A LYRICAL BATTLE I C FORMING? USING PREVIOUSLY USED LYRICS OF COURSE...

Jushh, I know u have a response.... :-)

gWiz Musik said...

haha damn man im tired yall with this same argument for the past 5 years, there is a balance.

JusWritin' said...

I don't even talk to Bars, he's always bringing my name up. Damn Bars just let a brother live!

Plus he's just puts up this front on PTM, he makes different points on IM.

haha.

JusWritin' said...

I agree there's a balance and if the balance is 100% i just have it somewhere around 60/40 for lyrics

:)

Mr. Hutson said...

So, I wouldn't exactly consider Phonte's quote to be sad. Nor Nasir's quote. Nor Joe Budden's. They are poignant quotes, almost facts (aside from Phonte, who just asked a good @$$ question).

Lyrics are lyrics. I mean, the boasting and the bragging and the fly ish and the booty slaps is all lovely. I'm a fan of all that, but sometimes I just wanna hear something that makes me think or feel something deep. All of these quotes do that.

And something to consider, lyrics this deep and the artists that produce them never get forgotten. Can't really say the same for the others.

Mr. Hutson said...

Side Note: the Nas quote was from Hate Me Now.