Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Monday, December 15, 2008

Don't Stop, Believin'



I Believe Too
written by JusHH

My first entry on Past The Margin, I introduced myself by sharing by beliefs. So one year later, I’ll go back to where it all started. As usual, shouts to Scoop Jackson.

I Believe Hip-Hop music is better now than it’s been at any point since 1998.

I Still Believe that lyrics come FIRST.

I Believe that Ludacris will rap circles around Lil’ Wayne

I Still Believe Joe Budden is the best rapper no one wants to pay attention to.

I Believe that UGK never got the shine that they deserved.

I Believe that Pimp C lack of skill held Bun B back from superstardom.

I Still Believe that most female rappers don’t sell because they are female; they don’t sell because they aren’t that good.

I Believe that Lil’ Mama is the only one that can save the female rapper.

I Believe that it is still okay to like Snoop’s music.

I Believe that he forfeited any GOAT points when he let someone else write his rhymes.

I Believe that if Eminem were black he would have sold half but would have been considered the GOAT.

I Believe that the major labels will not control Hip-Hop ten years from now.

I Believe that Dame Dash should be an example of what not to do when you make money.

I Believe that Busta Rhymes is an underrated icon.

I Believe that he handled the Ramirez situation like a punk.

I Believe rappers should put more effort into their videos.

I No Longer Believe mixtapes have helped artists get discovered but also hurt the quality of their albums BECAUSE too many artists never get to put out albums and we’re only left with their mixtapes.

I Believe, sadly, that Mickey Factz will be one of these artists.

I Believe that all of this autotune use has actually made me appreciate T-Pain’s artistic ability.

I Believe that we need to reclaim the definition of “Freestyle” and come up with a different name to describe what these rappers are doing.

I Still Believe that if you like that album then its your responsibility to go to the store and buy it

I Believe that Barack Obama will change Hip-Hop.

I Still Believe that Hip-Hop can change the world (if only we can get out of our own way)

5 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

Wow. 98 was a good year. Possibly. People do tend to focus on the negative.

Word.

Luda!! Yup yup.

Damn right. Joey Jumpoff is that dude.

Sure didn't

But Pimp was nasty on the boards, though.

Indeed.

Wow. Lot of pressure on the ABDC judge. Something's just going wrong w/ her career. Maybe she needs to market herself as a real spitter instead of a dancer.

I guess.

I agree.

Prolly.

Yeah. Something major will change that.

Remember DDMG? ha ha ha.

Word.

Word.

Like Busta.

Ask Weezy about how great mixtapes can water down album quality.

I really hope not.

T-Pain's actually an artist. lol. Wild.

Yes, one definition would be helpful.

I buy all the ones I like.

Yes we can!

It already has. It still is. Hopefully it will continue to.

Dope post. Happy one year PTM!

K Storm said...

LIL MAMA? DAMN THIS IS SAD.

RIGHT NOW FEMALES DO NOT EXIST IN HIP HOP.. :-(

JusWritin' said...

You sleepin' on Lil' Mama Storm. That girl deserves your respect.

Mr. Hutson said...

She can spit, but people will never know if she keeps putting out these quarter-decent attempts at crossover/pop records. I think mainstream would actually get excited over a female that could spit some bars.

Some hard rhymes, a catchy flow and hook (yes, it's a hard combo to pull off) and she'd be set.

Stuprint said...

I believe that you wrote that UGK line to make up for that pish posh about lyrics coming first, haha, but if they had gotten their "due shine" they would've been an oxymoron as a group since they were in fact the Underground Kings

and yeah Pimp was nice than a mf on the boards and he was making "country rap tunes" not no mf hip hop records, and I dont think Bun would've ever been a superstar, he's an awesome rapper but will never have that pop appeal (nor does he want it) that it takes to make it to that status.

Tpain is awesome and what did Dame do?

i dont think luda would outrap lil wayne, i think it would be an incredible battle of lyrical and artistic skill that not many could ever come close to (Eminem comes to mind though).

Ur exactly right about Em being the GOAT if he had some melanin

GOTTA COP GOOD ALBUMS!!!