Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, April 17, 2009

Can't get enough of the Boss...




Irony
written by 4 Bars

Irony:

- incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result
- the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning

Key words in the above definitions, to me, are “incongruity” and “opposite”. I know you’re thinking “Bars, I’m not stupid, I know what the f irony is…” but for my own sanity, I needed to clarify before I go in on Officer Rickey one last time.

Today I was talking with my barber about how good “Mafia Music” and “Maybach Music 2” are. He hadn’t heard either song but we had just watched Rickey’s new video featuring John Legend and all the Mafioso bs sent me over the edge.

Ross’ new album is entitled, ironically, “Deeper than Music”. This concerns me for obvious reasons, namely the fact that the persona of the “rapper” Rick Ross is actually no deeper than William Roberts, the rapper. William Roberts is not a drug dealer; in fact he was a corrections officer. Ricky Donnell Ross actually sold drugs, never rapped about it, and was actually setup and sentenced to life in prison. I find it ironic that not only has William Roberts created a character that is based on an ACTUAL person but he has proceeded to claim this character’s life as his own and continues to reflect this in his music.

Rappers embellish, ALL the time, but blatantly telling an untruth is completely different.

I think Rick Ross is actually a pretty good rapper. He will never be mentioned in the same breath as the greats but he certainly has the talent to have a successful career. I disagree with everything he stands for as an artist, however, and don’t appreciate his blatant dishonesty. I’m gonna give the album a good listen, but should we take him seriously if he continues to lie? That is actually the opposite of being “Trilla” or a Boss of any sort, ironically.

1 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

To me Rick Ross was such a cartoon character of raper when he first dropped that I never took him seriously. It's like when I first read "A Million Little Pieces." Dope book, but I didn't think it was true at all. I just felt kind of bad for all the people that were genuinely hurt and shocked when they found out it was a fabrication.

Rick Ross is like a 300 pound lie. Maybe I don't have a big deal with it because I wasn't blindsided. That said, I think his CD has classic potential thus far. Deeper Than Rap could be a classic from the guy that is only as deep as rap. Eh, ironic indeed.