Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, April 24, 2009

The other guys


I’m F’n With The White Boy
written by 4bars

In case you haven’t figured out the topic of this post, I’ll state it clearly: I’m f’n with Asher Roth AND Eminem. Truth is, both are very good rappers and they both have a solid grasp of what they’re trying to do. Obviously they’re in two COMPLETELY different places right now but the fact that they are both talented white rappers that sounds EXACTLY alike, coincidence? Maybe.

Fact is, the new Roth album is hot. I purchased it after downloading and I’m really pleased with his lyrical ability. The one concern I have is his maturity. I hope that he can evolve as a rapper once the novelty of being a young, brash, college kid wears off. His “father” however has a far different road.

Eminem is arguably the greatest rapper of all time, period. He’s evolved from a loud mouthed lunatic to an angry father and divorcee but his quality of music has never fallen off. He has been on hiatus for almost 5 years now, though, and while his first two singles have been good lyrically, I think the jury is still out on whether or not he’ll be the same Em that had the game going crazy. I will say this though, he’s always led off his albums with a cornball single with a crazy video so I’m not REALLY that worried, but he’s also taken a ton of time off, so we’ll see.

I really wanna find out from ya’ll whatchu think about these three questions:

1) Asher Roth and Eminem sounding EXACTLY alike, coincidence or something more?

2) Will Asher Roth develop as an artist or will he get stuck where he is?

3) Em’s album: as strong as his previous offerings or time off hurt permanently?

2 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

1. I think it's coincidence they sound alike, but I sure don't think it's coincidental that he may have gotten signed because of it. Rhyme pattern, flow, and content-wise they're really not similar to me.

2. I see him developing. I get the feeling people actually took a little time to handle Roth's career. See how he managed to drop a CD while his music is buzzing unlike many new artists?

3. If you heard 3AM, Em will be just fine.

JusWritin' said...

1. Probably no coincidence. there's probably dozens of other white rappers that can spit. I doubt the label heads didn't highly consider the fact that his voice would draw so many comparisons. Not that, that's a bad thing because dude can really rap.

2. Who knows man?

3. Double who knows man? And i have to disagree Stu, his music has fallen off. Since Encore came out (clearly the worst of the 4 albums), other than his performances on the Re-Up album, everything he did was bland. But he gets GP privilege and I'll be checking for his new album