Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, April 10, 2009

Im the ish...


Who’s Hot?
written by 4bars

There are a lot of up and coming acts in hip-hop nowadays, which I’m really excited about. I personally can’t wait to cop albums from Kid Cudi, Wale, and Drake and if I get one more hot single I MIGHT go ahead and give the white boy in the bread aisle some of my hard earned money too, but I digress. I wanna talk about who’s the shit right now and I want some votes.

I figure with Mr. Harris going to the slammer he’s technically not in the conversation but he def gets honorable mention cause he’s done a whole lot pre-jailbird and he’s definitely gonna come out with some ish upon release. But here are my top candidates for the “hottest”:

Hov- Bottom line, he’s still a huge deal not only in hip-hop but music in general. His business sense and rhymes are still top notch and whatever he touches turns to gold, he’s still the G.O.A.T.

Wayne- Arguably the hottest rapper in the game right now, his talent is undeniable and his venture into the rock world will certainly prove to be, if nothing else, interesting.

Ye- The most innovative and creative artist in the game right now. Whether he’s rapping, singing, chanting, or producing, cannot deny that he’s as original and quality as it gets.

Em- The anticipation builds as his new album is set to be completed and I think absence definitely makes the heart grow fonder. He might not be the hottest but he sure is getting warm.

50- His “defeat” of Officer RICKEEYYYYY has yet to be solidified but his antics have always been if nothing else memorable, but his music has been suspect lately as fans simply demand more. Time will tell if he will or won’t ‘Self Destruct’.

My vote is for Ye, honestly, he’s just a bad mofo. The DJ Class track says it all but add on the fact that he’s putting out Cudi and I’m sold but I wanna hear from ya’ll.

3 comments:

JusWritin' said...

In Order... You pretty much described it in my order.

As of today (of course)

1. Hov

2. Kayne

3. Wayne (tie w/ TI but obviously not for long)

4. 50

5. Em - (he just hasn't been around I'm not even sure you he's still considered "hot")

But those are easy, who's next after this list?

Mr. Hutson said...

Being hot is defined by a pair of fine lines and artists have to choose which one they want to walk. There's being gone long enough to be missed, but not irrelevant. Then there's flooding the streets with enough that your name is constantly being mentioned, but not oversaturating.

My list is actually the same as 4bars. However, I guarantee that one hot song from Em would put him above 50. I have no clue why Em put that song out; maybe it's so he can do that fun video or something. I don't know. He's been in the game long enough that he can release real music and it would get played.

Stuprint said...

Jus, your guess is as good as mine about who is AFTER the heavyweights, i think it's wide open and filled with everybody from underrated dudes like Busta, Common, and Mos to rookies like Lupe, pretty much all of slaughterhouse, haha, and anybody else you can name. Depends on what you basing "hotness" on.

Just, I agree, I was having a conversation about this the other day, but we were talking about Darius Rucker comin out with new music and my boss didnt understand how he was still successful. Its like what Jus was sayin earlier this week about that core fan base, once you hook em, they wait patiently for whatever you got for em and their gonna at the very least give you a chance/benefit of the doubt.

and em doesnt give a f btw, he does what he wants, haha, i love it