Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, April 3, 2009

The use of words...


Who you callin' a bitch?
written by 4bars

I’m listening to the new Slim Thug album, which isn’t bad but personally I’ve always been turned off by his lack of lyrical depth (the usual Houston trio of thug, drugs, and drank) but I digress. What really caught my ear was one of his songs, creatively entitled “My Bitch”. Now I’m not Oprah getting on all rappers for the use of the words “bitch” or “hoe” in reference to women (or “nigga” for that matter) but something about such a blatant use of the word towards a woman he’s not only doing a song about but also actually cares about and appreciates just doesn’t feel right.

I wanna start by quoting the great Phonte when he said “like ya’ll wasn’t callin' women hoes before Rapper’s Delight”, cause I’m not on some Al Sharpton shit, I’m just taken back sometimes by such brash titles for women in hip-hop. I also watched a video today by the one and only Plies (that’s a whole other “niggerdom” post) about a reality show he’s coming out with about what he calls a “Goonette” which, to him, is an honorable term. Oh did I forget to mention that the show is about a single mother of two who is a MIDGET STRIPPER!!! I think I’ve figured out why the female rap game is dead and might never recover: we honestly don’t think shit of our women; more importantly, though, they don’t think shit of themselves.

I’m not gonna sit here and say that the word “bitch” or “hoe” alone can do anything because as we know they’re just words but I think the comfort that has come in the words and the embrace that they’ve found in our culture is part of the cause for the devaluing and objectification of women in hip-hop.

We’ve talked about video “hoes” and queen “bitches” etc etc, but I wanna know what ya’ll think of the actual use of these words. I’m not gonna lie, I use the words and I jokingly sing “Bitches Ain’t Shit” from time to time, but I’m joking. I don’t ACTUALLY think or refer to women as bitches or hoes, not even when I’m talking about how crazy they are. Am I way off base or have we embraced the bad and turned it “good” as our culture so often does (“nigger” = not ok, “nigga” = ok)?

5 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

The B-word is the female equivalent to the N-word. It's all fine and dandy based on who uses and when. The wrong people say it and it's a problem. There's no point in having a funeral for this word either. I have noticed that the women that are very comfortable with these words usually end up in the same positions in life. And the guys that are extra comfy with these words, usually have pretty similar personality traits. And these women and these guys end up together and it's oh so goontacular.

K Storm said...

This is a hard one. Bitch is thrown around a lot. I agree with the comparison of n!gga and B!TCH. Its really not ok, no matter who uses it, but we tend to give certain people a pass when they use it, depending on who they are. The show "Girlfriends" (used to be on CW)...They use it all the time, like B!TCH PLEASE. Or, yall
B!tches are crazy... and it doesn't bother me. I use it, but its not only for women. If a guy acts like a B1tch, Ill call him a
B1tch. The N word is just not that easy to justify...I can't call a white person a n!gga... IDK, the N word is worse to me.
Prime example...Q on DAY 26 is a
b!tch...he displays constant
b1tchassness....and b1tches all the time.... Thats the PERFECT example of the b word being used in the PERFECT way :-)

Mr. Hutson said...

Lmao. You done went and pulled out the 17th letter on 'em. Yeah, I don't know what's wrong with Q. He's having some awfully special moments.

Back on topic. The same can be said about the N word, though. When someone is acting particularly ignorant and completely enjoys it with no attempts to learn how to do better, I say they're acting like a n!gga regardless of race or gender. Is that just me?

Stuprint said...

Nah, I TOTALLY agree with a "nigga" bein of ANY race, creed, or color. I feel like asians, latinos, and (gulp) "whiggers" use it more than black people trying to embody whatever culture goes along with the word, sadly its black culture that is and always will be tied to the word so in the words of Paul Mooney "everybody wanna be a nigga but nobody wanna be a nigga".

On another note, like my gf said "does Q have a vagina on the low? 'He looked at me and I felt uncomfortable'... really?" havent seen bitchassness like this on tv in a while, but I called him a bitch from the moment he sold Donnie out with Aubrey and then wouldnt even admit to doin it, bitch indeed.

JusWritin' said...

Man I dunno. I probably say the word bitch way more than I should. But i'm like you Bars, i never referred to any woman that i cared about or even think that women are bitches in general.

It has alot to do with our comfort with the word and we all have probably gotten too comfortable with it.

Not sure what the solution is. I guess since the history isn't nearly as painful and not enough people are pissed off as when nigger is used, bitch will still be apart of the vocab.