Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Front row...


Live
written by Doesnt' Matt R

So check it, I went to see Jay-Z last night. It’s probably the tenth time I’ve seen him live in the last twelve years. Also at the show, D-Block, Neyo, and Lil Wayne. Normally I would give a song-by-song recount of the night’s events. But for most of the night, I was kind of bored. And that bothered me.

I go to a lot of concerts. Within the last year, I’ve seen Jigga twice, Kanye and Summer Jam. That’s actually a slow year. There was a time in my life when the thought of going to a show was an exciting event. I wondered if any special guests were going to come out. I pre-planned set lists in my head. Well, if Busta Rhymes is gonna be there, and Diddy, maybe they’ll do Victory. The idea of showing up late was maddening. How could I risk not seeing Cam’ron run a sound check and bust out 357? These were major concerns of mine.

All of that has changed in recent years. I’ve found that Jay-Z more or less puts on the same show. Always entertaining. All the hits I want to hear. I leave with no voice and a headache from screaming, But I was there the night he brought Nas out. No show is going to live up to that, short of him bringing Biggie out for Brooklyn’s Finest. But at least HOV realizes people pay good money to see him. I’ve never left disappointed, even if most of the shows have blurred together into one big memory.

It’s funny that one of the best concerts I ever attended was Cash Money / Ruff Ryders back in the day. That was the last time I enjoyed Weezy live. It was also the last time The Lox put on a solid show for me. Back then, Jada, Sheek, and Louch were so happy to finally get off Bad Boy, that they rocked the house. I’ll never forget the feeling of the stadium shaking as 30,000 Tims all stomped at the same time for Wild Out. It was the loudest noise I’ve ever heard at a show. Cash Money had the hottest songs of the summer at the time and were living it up on stage, bringing girls up and having them Drop it Like it’s Hot and Backing that Azz Up.

Now, Weezy is lucky to be able to get through a set and have people comprehend him. He pulls out his guitar, bangs on one chord, and humps the ground with no shirt on. I’ve seen Youtube of him storming off stage, getting things thrown at him, and generally underperforming. I’ve yet to see D-Block get through an entire song in the last ten years. They bring out their entire entourage and do one verse from a couple of recognizable tracks. In all fairness, I’m a huge fan of these acts. But they just don’t rock the mic live. Is it that I’ve seen too many shows? That I’m jaded to these experiences? Or has the art of live performances become a lost art? I know Weezy is grateful for his fans, he thanks us enough in his live show, but I’d much rather him actually entertain me like I was out in the park, circa ’83, Bronx.

3 comments:

JusWritin' said...

I feel you. Some rappers just don't get how to be great performers. Back before videos were poppin' and artists got exposure on the internet, all a dude has was his live performances. It's why KRS can always rock a crowd. I saw Big Daddy Kane and MC Lyte last summer and they murdered it.

Busta Rhymes is that dude. He's probably the most entertaining performer that I've ever seen.

I feel you on the anticipation of a surprise guest. That s**t alone would make me come out. I saw Lupe at S.O.B's and he brought Kanye out... OMG! We went crazy. FYI - It hurts my soul to know that I missed Hov bring out Nas. I could have went to that concert but I chose not to because he said it was an "I Declare War" concert and I didn't wanna see that.

The Roots, of course, are ridiculously dope in concert. They are so good that they made Jay-Z's shows better. I saw Nas, he sucks live, but 07 was the first time i ever heard "It Ain't Hard To Tell" performed so I wasn't complaining.

I also love seeing artists at different stages of their careers. I saw Kanye right after College Dropout came out and then again for the Glow in the Dark tour. Great symmetry. I saw Hov when the Blueprint, BP2, Black Album, and AG came out.

One of my favorite shows was a Common, John Legend and De La Soul concert. It was hosted by Razhel so you know it was crazy.

The only two concerts that I wished I saw was Up In Smoke and Hard Knock Life

Anonymous said...

I've never really been a big concert person per se but everytime I have gone to one I've had a great time...simply because I'm the type to just leave it it aint poppin.

JusHH you said Nas sucks live, and that may be true but he ripped, wait no RIPPED that FREE, yes FREE concert at Central Park summer stage a few years back. He brought out everybody in the damn industry, an Busta was the hypest.

I've seen Dead Prez in concert like a good three times and every time they kill it. I think all the anger and hatred for "the man" drives the show too though. Not to mention all the drunk and high white people screaming kill whitey in the front row, LOL.

I needed a little PTM love today =)

Anonymous said...

Dope