Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Thursday, October 23, 2008

New directions..


My Kanye Conundrum
written by Doesn't Matt R

As Kanye’s singles start to leak out for his new album, I’m stuck with a dilemma. Do I want to hear him sing? In full disclosure, I’m a huge fan. After I listened to College Dropout for the 400th time, I swore that I’d get down with whatever Mr. West put out there. So far he has not disappointed me. It’s all been hot.

It took me a few listens to get down with Love Lockdown. I wasn’t feeling The Coldest Winter, but I feel like this was never guaranteed to be on the album. Artists make a lot of songs, and sometimes the ones that are sub-par and wouldn’t make the final cut can leak too. I’m really feeling Heartless, but he only really sings the chorus of that. The verses are more hip-hop than R&B. So it’s not even that I don’t like the new stuff he’s playing around with.

I guess my major questions would be: Is this what we need from Kanye right now? is this a vanity project, like Eddie Murphy or Bruce Willis doing an album because they got so big in one entertainment genre, they feel like they could cross over to another. Rappers start to act. See Will Smith, Ice Cube, Ludacris for major successes. Actors sing and can make it. John Belushi and J Lo. Singers act (Elvis), actors rap (Brian Austin Green…yuck), and sometimes singers do stand up comedy (John Mayer). So it’s not like jumping between genres is rare.


It’s proven that you don’t need a great voice to have a hit record. With Britney’s production team, you could probably make a hit record with the tracheotomy guy from the TRUTH about smoking commercials. As a matter of fact, I think that’s where T-Pain got his early influences. But Kanye is arguably the hottest all-around act in hip-hop (because his verses and beats are so high in demand). Weezy may be a hotter rapper at the moment, Polo da Don may be a hotter producer. But nobody does the full package, puts on a show, sells albums, and sells his image like Kanye. So yeah he’s maybe talented enough to pull of an R & B album.

Michael Jordan is probably one of the most talented all around athletes of all time. And maybe if every swing he took, every ball hit his way, every base he ran wasn’t being watched by every media outlet, he may have turned out to be an alright baseball player. But at that time, he was the BEST basketball player in the world (not counting that kid, in that park, who never got a break). Yes, I understand why Jordan had to do it. Yes, I understand why Kanye would want to try this. Yes, I’ll probably listen to it, and yes, it may be as hot as Kanye claims it to be. But that doesn’t mean I won’t be wishing for the rest of my life that this was Valedictorian coming out instead. So that’s just the truth of the matter.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

No comments? Wack.

JusWritin' said...

Yo, Matt. I swear it wouldn't let me post this morning...

what i was going to say was that I compare this post to how I felt when I found out that Lauryn wasn't going to rap on most of her album and later on when 3000 sang through the Love Below.

Eventhough i wanted them to rap more, i liked both of those albums. I'm still not a fan of Love Lockdown but Ye has enough cred where i'll give him the benefit of the doubt and cop the album.

gWiz Musik said...

I feel that as an artist you do what you are feeling not necessarily what you think "the people need".

This album may not be for everybody but hey, its his product...

Mr. Hutson said...

Ok. Here's how I feel. I think Love Lockdown is whack. That's just my opinion. If Ye is gonna autotune and sing through the whole CD, I'm not coppin' it. Not because I'm biased against the rapper trying to sing (props to Queen Latifah, Dre 3K, L Boogie, and kinda sorta Mos Def). I'm not coppin' it because what I've heard is whack in my opinion.

An artist has to do what's in his/her heart. Hopefully they have a fan base that will tolerate or enjoy it. Jus and Wiz will probably cop the album. I probably won't. But if he sings a few songs that I think are hot, then I'll be sure to run to the store.

It always amuses me when artists complain about when fans don't allow them "to grow." Dude, we don't mind you getting taller. We just mind that you stopped playing like Jordan and started playing like Bradley.

(Swear I didn't let me post either. Tough post.)

gWiz Musik said...

I don't buy an album just to buy it. I buy it because I like it. Like with any other album I will hear it before it is released and make my decision there. The name of the CD is 808's and Heartbreak and thats what you hear in the songs.

To me if this is what he feel then that's what he does. Its like when Jason Williams AKA White Chocolate stopped throwing all the crazy passes and started playing like a true NBA player, he became garbage in some peoples eyes.

Maybe I'm biased because I like the passion he has for his work, but he has given too much to the game in a short period of time to start trying to call him out before the album in whole is even heard.

JusWritin' said...

True, like I said I'll give Ye the benefit of the doubt. However, if every song is like Love Lockdown, I probably won't spend the bread on it.

(I'll gladly save the digital version on my hard drive though)

Plus, I don't think I can listen to him talk about heartache for the entire album. I thought that was just a title not the theme to every song.

Happy Matt? LMFAO

Mr. Hutson said...

and it was whack