Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, October 24, 2008

instruMENTAL...


Same Song
4bars

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been a HUGE fan of Timbaland as a producer. As I got older and started to be exposed to more hip hop, I realized that the music itself is what I loved about it the most. It didn’t really matter to me (kind of) who was rapping or what about, if the beat was hot, I was at least letting the track ride. Of course when a hot MC got on and ripped a ridiculous beat, I was in Heaven.

It’s still like that with me today, you can catch me air guitar/keyboard/drumming to any of the various tracks that I can literally feeeelll. I was driving and thinking about how the game has been flooded with producers trying to make a name and I thought about 10 years ago, there were giants in the game and the up and coming dudes were named West and Blaze. Now there are half a zillion “beat makers” out there and a lot of em are getting put on. I’m not hatin but GWIZ CANT GET NO LOVE!!??!! Haha, I joke, but for real, is producing gonna turn into the next “fad” or has it already?

I love hip hop “music” a whole lot. I used to get teased about listening to instrumentals all the time, but there was a point where all I heard out of the lyrics was bs but I couldn’t shake my addiction to the music. The beat making game has devolved as the rap game has, sadly, but what’s the next step? Do they hold the same fate?

Stay tuned next week btw, more on the production game.

2 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

I mean, as more people end up with big names (Polow, Nitty, Bangladesh, Scott Storch, Danja, Chad West, etc.) more people feel like they can do it. I think producing is going the way of rap where fans think "I can do that...and better" as opposed to just enjoying the music. First of all, it's probably easier to get on that it was in the 90s. Secondly, it's easier to make a hot beat with all the access to technology. Some machines practically snag the sample, add the drums, and loop the beat up for you. With all these people just slapping stuff together, it's harder for somebody with consistent, reliable talent to break through.

Anonymous said...

I tried to make a beat with Garage Band on my Mac. After about five hours, I had something that sounded like it belonged on a Boot Camp Clik mixtape. No bueno.