Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Gimmee what he got...


Fads & Trends
written by gWiz

It’s funny how things come and go, I still remember when Cross Colours dropped and my sister got some jeans. I was tight! Why? Because since she was older she had more access to stuff and that was the “trend” for all of those 30 minutes that it lasted. Looking back I am not mad at all that was denied that trend, but they continue on. From Kriss Kross rockin’ jumpers backwards to everybody rockin’ starter caps to the episode of New York Undercover when they all had Bear coats on.

How about when Puff had all the different color Yankee fitteds in the “Mo’ Money Mo’ Problems” video. I don’t know about your state but that summer I must have seen every color Yankee fitted imaginable with the matching jerseys in the streets of NY. (I had red, blue, and green haha) Speaking of jersey we fast forward to the throwback epidemic, I guess I would put Fabolous at the forefront of this one. Now I know this one was a trend that was universal because no matter where I went I saw walking sports figures everywhere. You still got old dudes rocking jersey now because they still think “That’s Cool” haha it is what it is though.

Then Jay-Z said “Change Clothes and go…” and so everybody did. Button ups and jeans flooded the scene, which wasn’t a bad thing at all. What happened next? Everybody was a “rock star”, wallet chains hanging size 28 jeans but their real size is a 36. So we went from the baggy joints to borderline spandex? Ok

Then the Kanye’s of the world stepped in and kind of mixed the rock and Hov look together. It’s just funny to me how I can see somebody on the street and I can match his or her exact outfit exactly with what ______(insert a rapper/entertainer name here) is wearing. There so many to talk about this is just a few. I know you’ve seen it. That box on top your TV stand is powerful huh?!?!

4 comments:

JusWritin' said...

haha.. size 28 when you really a 36.. .lmfao

I remembered when LL first started rocking the one pant leg rolled up. I along with many people who lived in Queens did the same damn thing.

Or when Oakley's came out and you just bought them to rock on the TOP of your head. That was only to be outdone by buying ski goggles to wear on TOP of your head. Awesome.

Mr. Hutson said...

Yeah, I didn't really understand the goggles. That was wild.

How 'bout when they hit the doo rag w/ the goggles over top of 'em, then added a matching jersey and matching wide receiver gloves? Yeah, the gloves kinda put me over the edge.

Stuprint said...

wait, whoa whoa whoa, ya'll ACTUALLY wore the whole ski goggles thing? I thought that was a joke that the wayans bros used for emphasis when they did stereotypes, wow, and ya'll said down south cats were country, hahaha

Anonymous said...

Yo, was that really a Cross Colours advertisement?

OMG

Yo remember the T-Shirts with the black people giving each other dap? That was the joint!