Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"Do my ladies run this mother*#$!"


What is happening to the female hip hop game?
written by Dot

Missy's new single "Ching-Ching" is very stereotypical of what's popular in hip hop (Money, Jewelry, and the exploitation of women) right now but I at least respect that she is keeping her music hip-hop with the beats and dance flavor. In the female rap world sex has been what has catapulted artists like Lil Kim, Jackie-O, Foxy Brown, and many others. Lyrical MC's like MC Lyte and Salt and Pepa even took their sexual routes but at least they were trying to educate people about sex to some extent with songs like "Let's talk about Sex" and "Georgie-Poorgie".

With lyrics from Missy on "Ching-Ching" like, "Talk like exlax, if ya game wack, /Then you ain't sayin' jack, /Just like that, ya, ya, to get axed, /Cause I got more hits than you can get out of a bat" I wouldn't say Missy is crazy lyrical but she gets the job done in a day and age where people don't get caught up in actual alliteration and poetry when it comes to music. Back in the day women artists had to fight just to be heard. Missy is extremely successful and lucrative in the music industry and she is hardly what I would call a lyrical genius but she is definitely a musical genius. Is that enough, or should we expect more from the new age of female rappers.

Kid Sister is a fairly new rapper from Chicago who I believe to be lyrical in an old school sense. Hip Hop and rap was founded on the beat, and the ability of the MC to move the crowd to the beat with they're lyrical ability. When any rapper can pull that off they get props as a real MC. Many people may think that Kid Sisters single "Pro Nails" is cheesy and that she can't rap because she's rapping fast on the track but with lyrics like "I aint rockin' stupid bapes/ I aint trippin'/ I juke all day!" and "Girls be so thirsty thirsty/Fast forward to the end of my song/And say third verse me verse me/Whenever I hit block I see/Tricks try to rehearse me hearse me /From manicure sets to silky weaves/They be so grimey, nasty,/bogus/Germy, dirty/Uh oh/Shol did/you ain't slick/Naw, let the pioneer blast my ****" Kid sister is telling men what they "gotta" do if they wanna get that girl they're after and she's telling the ladies they can hate but she's still the sh*t! I can't knock that especially when the beat is knocking and Kid Sister is going her hardest.

If the future of hip hop lies with artists like Kid Sister and Lil Mamma I think we'll be ok. They bring innovation and freshness to the game for the ladies while still keeping it lyrical. If Missy is gonna keep us dancing at least we have Kid Sister spittin' something worth analyzing…simply because it's different. And she's cute too! Haha…

… And if you still don't respect kid sister check out her backstage pass on MTV.com and I guarantee you'll have a different respect for her as an artist.


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was feeling this joint precisely because the lyrics were very
un-pretentious and it's a joint that's very easy to bop your head to...Kanye being on the track helps of course...but u def. have a point. If Kid Sister and Lil Mama can parle this mild success into something bigger, I like where the female hip-hop game is goin...

K Storm said...

Its so sad,that there are only 3 worthy of even being mentioned as respectful female artist in the hip hop game. I understand its a male dominated game, but what is going on with female MC talent out there? Are ladies not motivated? Where is our love for hip-hop? I think its partially fear of not being respected/ not getting any attention if they don't have sexually explicit lyrics.
Missy is a musical genius, and she keeps me bobbing, but I WANT A FEMALE MC WHO SPITS HOT FIRE!!! I want to get excited by hearing a lady freestyle on the radio and go hard. The last female MC to excite me on that level was Remy Ma, but then she herself got mixed up in the negative flashing lights and got caught out there. Im just really mad I don't have any pride for the females out right now, lyrically speaking.
Trina is making a comeback, but shes coming with the same, badest bitch mentality and flow she had a couple of years back. I appreciate her new single, SINGLE AGAIN for the female empowerment factor, but shes SOULJA BOYING IT right now. Hot Beat, TALKING ABOUT BLING, and how good she is in bed. I appreciate that, BUT I NEED TO KEEP MY LYRICAL SANITY AS WELL.
I hope Lil Mama develop more and learns to get her lyrics up to the level of a Jada Kiss, or Jay-Z...

Kid Sister is fly, I need to check her out.

WHERE ARE THE FEMALE MC'S?

Anonymous said...

I mean I honestly feel like majority of the female MC's that come out, well that we get to hear all follow the same format as a "Lil Kim". I think thats why Missy stands out because she has always been outside the box. Kid sis and Lil Mama are also following their own path. Now I wouldn't say there isn't more female MC's out there but the powers that be, at these labels are not taking the risk on them. It's all about the dollar at the end of the day to them.

K Storm said...

And I don't know if its just me, but wasn't Eve supposed to be coming out with an album? Does n e one know what happened to her project? I remember someone on PTM mentioned Aftermath and their inability to promote, did she get dropped?

Anonymous said...

Nah, she ain't get dropped. It's just an Aftermath thing. lol. You think Dre got my letter?

Anonymous said...

Oh and Lil Mama is tough... I support her plus it seems she's got a good head on her shoulder and can be a positive role model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ0bADRXWB8&feature=related

Anonymous said...

make sure you don't sleep on estelle either! she's john legend's new artist and she's also a sickkkkk rapper on top of her soul/neo-soul tunes. i know this is an entry bout females...but talkin bout young talented rappers with an old school flair got me thinkin bout two groups i'm DEF feelin right now (although they are men...but as a woman, i can appreciate right?! hehe) --> the cool kids and pacific division!!!!
oh and lil mama? hmmm, gotta think bout that one...i'm still warmin up to her.

Anonymous said...

Good call on Estelle...I'm really feelin' that "American Boy" joint with Kanye...

Anonymous said...

most definitely! my boy donnis (the one with the glasses at 1:35 in that music video) is also on his grind in the rap game...dude's from atl but his sound is different...influenced by streetwear culture/a mix of outkast, ti and n.e.r.d. watch out for him too! :)

Anonymous said...

Per your request G. A link to Jean Grae performance. She's the truth. Best chick spittin right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kl0biJLkmc

Anonymous said...

actually that Eve album was dropping on Geffen, it kept getting pushed back. I guess they didn't believe in tamborine lol.

Estelle raps? all the songs I heard from her she is singing, I like her style though.

Anonymous said...

yeah i've heard her on a remix...not sure whether or not she's going to go that direction but i'm assuming with that talent, she won't wanna be shy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks JusHH. I found other music from that link. If there was ever a first lady of Wu Tang Jean Grae is her. Her flow kinda reminds me of a combination of U-God and Inspectah Deck with a nice feminine touch (sometimes without it, lol). I LOVE the sound of that song "Each Morning." And her freestyles are sick. Yeah now I see what the hype is about, and rightfully so.

Anonymous said...

And she swears like a sailor! Mmmm mmm mmm, my type of lady, LOL.

Mimi said...

Not familiar with teh new young'ns. Lil Mama is nice though... although... her image... I'm a lil concerned. I want her to be a kid rapper... but she wants to be grown. No?

I'm rocking with Nicki right now though... but she still screams.. had a lil flow in teh hood and some big time drug dealer gave me a crash course to teh streets and now I'm certified.

Bottomline... The female hip hop game is dying. Some like Rem wanna be hardcore thugs--well she is--... and others want to sell sex.

BUT. I'm viva la Lil Kim. Sex or not.. she's hot.

Anonymous said...

stepyourpostsup.com