Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sincerely Yours


Dear Dr. Dre,


I know you don’t know me but my name is JusHH and I write for a blog called Past The Margin. Let me start by saying that I think you are a living legend. You have given me almost 20 years of dope music. You have discovered some of the biggest superstars of all time and have been apart of some of the most influential movements. People no doubt consider you a musical genius and that title is well deserved.

Having said that, I have a bone to pick with you. Aside from the music, you are starting to develop a bad habit of signing artists to your label only to have them sit on the shelf and rot. (Rakim, Knoc-Turnal, Eve, Raekwon, Stat Quo, and Truth Hurts only to name a few) Now I know its not all your fault but you get us excited that they’ve joined your camp and then you leave us hanging. However your most recent artist is what forced me to write this letter. Last year you signed Brooklyn rapper, Joell Ortiz only after hearing his mixtape once. You flew him out to L.A. for a face to face and you even told him that he could release his debut album on Koch first! In a time where talented emcees are an endangered species, Joell is a breath of fresh air.

Combined with your ability, I know you can not only put him on the map, you can also give New York another rapper to be proud of. However, many months have gone by and nothing. No album, no single, nothing. Recently Joell said that the reason was possibly because Jimmy Iovine doesn’t want him on the roster. That can’t be it. You’re Dr-f***ing-Dre for Christ’s sake. You’ve made that man millions and if you want Ortiz, Iovine definitely won’t step on your toes. Joell also said that since being signed he hasn’t even had the opportunity to work with you in the studio. So I ask, what’s the point of even signing him? Why get an aspiring rapper and his fans’ hopes so high just to ignore him? All I ask is that you give the boy a chance, put your beats and the machine behind him just once and I know you won’t be disappointed. Do this one thing for me and I promise I’ll forgive you for jerking the world around with the Detox thing.
Sincerely yours,

JusHH


P.S. If you haven’t noticed, steroids are being investigated left and right. I saw you at the BET awards and there’s no way you did that through just exercise and diet. Don’t be the next Barry Bonds man. Even that chick Marion Jones got 6 months!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aight now, I gotta step in on this one JusHH. You leave Dre the hell alone man. That dude is THAT dude. We don't know why Joell Ortiz is "shelved" right now. And I honestly hope Dre reads your article so he can provide a valid explanation. But honestly, rappers and producers won't always do what we want. But Dre has done so many great things for us in the name of hip hop. Let's not be like ungrateful children.

And by the way, yes a few rappers and singers have been reported using performance enhancement drugs. But it was also reported that there would be no legal ramifications; they aren't athletes.