Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Ghost


“Alone in the Street”
Styles P. Super Gangster, Extraordinary Gentleman

Written by KT

So, I remember when the LOX was a more relevant rap group in hip-hop. This must’ve been around the time that I was in junior high school, 1997 or 1998 I believe. I’m sure most of us can remember that. The “shiny suit” era of bad boy was in full swing and here you had this hardcore rap group, bent on informing us how gangsta they were. Although I had never really been up on them like that, “Money, Power, Respect,” their lead single from the album of the same name, did catch my attention in a major way. Most intriguing of this trio, however, was this man who called himself “The Ghost,” David Styles, or as many of us know him, Styles P. I still find myself beguiled by his rough exterior whenever this dude rhymes. He has to be one of the most introspective dudes in the game right now. And although people, from a commercial stand, remember him most for “Good Times” from 2003’s A Gangster and A Gentleman,” you’re doing yourself a disservice if you don’t cruise by your local music store and give a listen to his 3rd album in 3 years: Super Gangster, Extraordinary Gentleman. Never a slouch on the mic, Styles delivers in a very good way on this joint, particularly however, he has this one joint: “Alone in the Street” that truly stands out from the rest.

My word I got a little crust in my third eye

At the song’s start, there’s an ethereal quality to the chorus as it lilts in over Styles’ voice. Even then, it’s clear that this is going to be a little more than just another song. He starts off sounding like a man who, fed up with false pretenses and impressions, is simply trying his best to be as genuine a possible: “I, don't really care/what I sell or what I sold/as long, as I give my soul, whenever my story told…” The whole verse follows the path of a man who has lost someone very near and dear to him. In this instance, it would be Styles’ little brother and as his memory lingers, the strength of his feelings comes through in the music: “Still feel him in the passenger seat/I can’t see him/I wish that he could chatter with me.” Even in the face of despair, however, it’s clear that this man is still ever defiant: “Try to stay away from beef/but shit is gettin deep/I restin right it's like I'm on lay away from sleep…”

Robbed a lot of people like I never was baptized

He transitions from the deep emotional trauma to his misgivings about the life he has chosen in the 2nd verse. And yes, while it’s all things that we’ve heard before, one cannot but be impressed with the delivery of such sincerity: “Have I ever thought, of my life as a bad guy/made a little money, sellin rocks that was cap sized/Robbed a lot of people, like I never was baptized.” This is a man who has hardly begun to reconcile the choices he has made and as a result, is at a loss to really cope with all that he has seen. Although he struggles to find some spiritual clarity, it is clear that this still eludes him and he is left to fight on his own: “If the lord call/who got the phone for callin him back/These, are man made/why dont'cha tell man to do that?”

I would be fallacious to present this song as something more than what it is: a manifestation of a hustler’s displeasure with the life he lives and his frustration as he tries to find a way out. A tune we’ve all heard before. However, I cannot deny the strength of Styles’ lyrical prowess and haunting delivery. The stark quality of writing that is clearly present on this track permeates through the beat and the guy is definitely on my radar again.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what, I always had a certain affinity for Jadakiss like many other people who tuned into the LOX. But there was always a certain grittiness that Styles has that you can't help but feel. Ima admit, I never bought any of his albums. But I think now I need to give him a keener listen.

Anonymous said...

Correction: "Super Gangster, Extraordinary Gentleman" is actually Styles' 3rd album in 4 years.

Anonymous said...

Styles is definitely one of those rappers who music is maturing along with his age. While he still makes that Super Gangster music that makes you question how much he is committed to change, he is definitely making more thought provoking verses and songs than many.