Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"Never on schedule, but always on time"


“Can’t Forget About You”
written by KT

You know something. I like Nas.

Fairly recently, he’s been catching a lot of flack for the questionable title of his forthcoming album (I’ll refrain from typing it for my own reasons), the relative mediocrity of his last two albums (in my opinion anyway).

Still, I like Nas.

And I think most of you who read this now do, too. And even if you don’t, maybe I can convince you to give him a listen or two (just start with Illmatic). That’s why I want to take a moment to reflect on his best joint since his first joint.

There were a lot of things about Stillmatc that I – and just about everyone I knew who listened to hip-hop – liked about that album. The production value of it was very high (highlights include: “Got Ur Self A Gun,” “One Mic,” and “2nd Childhood), he obviously killed off the dude who wrote NaStradamus and came with something serious that time around and let’s be honest, after “Ether” we were wanting for this entire album to be as good as that song was.

For the most part he delivered.

I’ll be honest; there were some joints I just couldn’t rock with. The hook from “The Flyest” wasn’t very enjoyable and “Braveheart Party” was terrible, with it’s overly jerky and annoying beat underneath some boring lyrics. Still, there was a lot to appreciate about it. In particular, “Rewind” really opened my eyes and reintroduced me to the creativity he still possessed. Not only did the track Large Professor threw down on it remind me of Biggie’s “I Got A Story To Tell” (in a very good way), but to start a song from the end AND throw in lines like “The bullet goes back in the gun/The bullet hole's closin' this chest of a nigga/Now he back to square one/Screamin', "Shoot don't please.” This was the joint that proved it for me. He was back.

I think it speaks volumes of the effect that music has on you to be able to reference specific times in your life and reflect on the feeling you had listening to a particular song or album. I can tell you to have “One Mic” be the second single off of this one, was probably the best career move he’d made up to that point. People were feeling this one…seriously. There was something powerful in the song that made you want to start yelling the lyrics after the beat kicked and the tempo picked up “IF YOU REALLY THINK YOU READY TO DIE/WITH NINES OUT/THIS IS WHAT NAS IS BOUT/NIGGA THE TIME IS NOW! "

Cathartic, right?

The point here is not to suggest that Nasir somehow lost his ability, never that. Street’s Disciple and God’s Son were two good albums to follow up Stillmatic with (in all honesty, I can’t wait for the new one). I’m simply reminiscing when everyone knew how good he was. Maybe it’s a sign that our generation’s artists are becoming what our parent’s generation artists are. “Classics” and “Old School Joints of the Day” (Really? “Hypnotize?!” I remember when that came out. I saw the premiere of the video!). Yet, I’m strangely comforted in that. I want to be able to look back at hip-hop as I knew it growing up. When a lot of it was still pretty meaningful and even in the drug tales and gun toting, there was authenticity to it.

Makes you want to press rewind doesn’t it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a fan of Nas' music. I have most of his albums and I think I will always be a fan just because of the foundation of music he has already laid out. If Nas was to suddenly become a horrible lyricist I would hold on to the good times, LOL. Now "I Am" and "Stillmatic" HAD to be great albums (and some people feel differently about I Am) because they were long awaited. And then there was Nastradamus....

The single was whack and the album as a whole was weak. But I will defend Nastradamus to an extent, and everyone who knows me have heard this before. While most of the songs did not deliver, the songs that you liked, you LOVED. You can't deny "Last Days" and "Shoot Em Up." Those songs were sick. And despite what some think, Nas can flow pretty decently over a fast track like he did on "Big Girl."

With that said, I think he HAS to deliver on this new album. It is another long awaited album and he CANNOT let it falter like Nastradamus. I honestly don't think he would ever go that left again. But now he has something to prove. He has to show everyone who is doubting and questioning the integrity behind his choice of a title that he has something to say that's actually worth listening to. I believe he can do this and I am truly hoping that he chooses to.

Anonymous said...

Oh and I know many people didn't cop the "Exit Wounds" soundtrack (don't even ask) but Nas' joint "Gangsta Tears" on that is ill. Just by the way he enters the track you know it's gonna be a dope song.

Anonymous said...

We almost never disagree KT but this is one of those few times. I'm in the minority on this one but Stillmatic (as a whole) disappointed me. It was half a great album; after track 9 it was completely downhill. It was like watching your favorite team go into halftime with a 20 point lead only to find out that they ended up choking and losing at the end.

After the Nastradamus flop (sorry G), the Jay-Z diss, we were all fiending for Nas to bring back that classic heat and with the perfect title "Stillmatic", I was flying high. And for everytrack up to Destroy and Rebuild, he made another classic. He should have just stopped! Illmatic only had 9 songs (with one intro) and the 1st 9 songs on Stillmatic were ridiculous. It would have been so great if he just stopped there but he didn't and the album fell apart. So I try to ignore that there's more songs on that album and press the stop button at track 10.

With regards to his best since his first, are we forgetting Hip-Hop Is Dead? That album was incredible. I think its a toss up between that one, God's Son (again I think i'm in the minority with respects to how great i think this album is) and It Was Written to determine what Nas' second best album is.

G, I'm with you on I Am. I love that album. Except for a few duds, he really brought it.

I still love Nas and although he may not be the most consistent, since Hov brought it to his neck, Nas has been Nasty.

K Storm said...

I respect Nas as an artist, and I think that has carried my interest in his music till this day. Respect. I may not feel ALL of his joints, but he is much deeper than people give him credit for. I hope this album is more consistent and he proves that hip-hop needs to recognize him as one of the greats. Nas is slept on by many. Although I dislike the title of his up coming album, I may still get it...

Anonymous said...

Nas is great but he contradicts his self to the point where it makes me question his authenticity. Can't question his rap skills but his personality and business sense when it comes to hip hop confuses me too much.

Bottom line is I would much rather jam to a Lil Wayne track than a Nas track these days. I would definitely listen to a lil Wayne ft. Nas or vice versa track collabo too!

When it comes to Nas' more recent music, his collaboration with Game on Game's last album really let me know that Nas could hang with todays up and coming artists and appeal to the younger audience that would otherwise have no idea of who he is.

As long as he can keep up with the times I'll continue to support his music. But if he flops with this next one he might be goin into the hip hop retirement home according to this dude...