Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Check the ingredients...


The Image
written by gWiz

What's in the image? What are these big labels looking for? They want the dude with the story that has been shot before. If you served time in prison they want you. If you are a former gang member they want you, but even if you have not been through any of the above they still may want you. We often here about a rapper being exposed, somebody from the hood they claim on their records, letting us know this dude isn't real. The labels know that it is always more interesting to have somebody with an extreme story to put out there. All of 50's promotion for "Get Rich Or Die Trying" was based off him being shot 9 times. That was the story you heard all over the TV, radio, internet, etc. I was just sitting down thinking the other day and this crossed my mind. I thought about this whole Lil Wayne situation. Now when we see Weezy in his interviews, on the BET awards, or in videos what does he have? Yea his cup of sizzurp.

His cup of lean (prescription cough syrup, if you don't know you can go google it) Now here comes the image, we all eat it up. I know I did at first, you see Wayne stumbling on the stage. You hear his voice when he talks, his speech is slurred. I have to ask though, how do you know this dude is really drinking "the syrup"? All we know those cups can just have some fruit punch in them or some water and hes acting. It adds to his image. Wayne is smarter than that, dude is in college at the University of Houston. Sippin that before, during, and after class? nah i dont think so. Majority of these labels are owned by white people in suits. Would they take him serious if he walked in the meeting stumbling with his cup like "shorty say im just like a lolli lolli lolli pop"? nah! im pretty sure he walks in there pretty sober. All im saying don't eat everything up so quick, we are so gullible at times and don't even know we are. Think about it.

10 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

And all this time I'm wondering why I can't get signed. Once again, thanks to pastthemargin, everything is illuminated.

So the new plan, I'm going to walk around with a tupperware bowl full of cocaine. For maximum effect, I gotta have a slight dusting of powder caught in my mustache.

Let it be known, Just K said it first. Cocaine is the way to a record deal.

"Cocaine is a helluva drug"

K Storm said...

JUST K, LMAO..... ^_^ HA!!!!

Anonymous said...

Word word and i'm gonna walk around with all kinds of Schwarzenegger-type guns on me son for real... But check it tho, they ain't gonna be loaded. In fact, them joints are plastic so they don't weigh me down when I'm doing my dance on stage.

My image is gonna be the s**t!

"That is so not gangsta, Gangstalicious" - Riley Freeman

Mr. Hutson said...

Indeed. Nothing says street cred like lightweight, bullet-free guns.

Now do a jig...

Anonymous said...

The more i think about it the crazier it gets... I remember seeing in a recent video interview Wayne talking about how he had been drinking it since he was like 13 years old. Now we were introduced to Weezy around 14 and he's been doing videos ever since. Now all of a sudden we see him w/ the cup?

Did he just decide to drink so much now that he needs a cup with him everywhere he goes? Or is it because its an image? Ah ha! Thanks Wiz for putting that cup into proper perspective.

I think the more troubling question is whether it's worse that Weezy feels necessary to carry around a "lean cup" for his image or us the fans (word used very loosely) that eat it up, knowing its a bunch of crap?

Mr. Hutson said...

Well, you know, I used to feel sorry for this guy Lil' Wayne. I was hoping that I could attribute the decline in his prowess as a lyricist (or coherent rapper) to drugs. Alas, that may not be the case. I'd like to thank GWiz for exposing this fraud.

Furthermore, I'd like to recommend that GWiz take a job exposing medical frauds. Every year, there are at least 5 kids in the Make a Wish Foundation that fake illnesses to meet their favorite celebrities. Point 'em out Wiz, just like Weezy Lean Baby.

K Storm said...

O $hit!!! Ptm goes hard. Yall really went in. Lmao....

Diony Elias said...

Definitely an image. However, I use to HIGHLY doubt that Meth and Snoop use to smoke real weed and were high all the time. Until Meth shot the All I Need video in my neighborhood and watched (and smelled) him puff puff right before shooting...that ganja was REALZ!!

Is Weezy sippin it...I think so, as much as he leads us to believe, naaaaah! (especially after learning one can die from it!!) I think it's liquor most the time.

DNYCE

Anonymous said...

Shall we go back to the "What they do" video?! Remember the champagne in the cups was just ginger ale? The jump scene was faked (my sister's boyfriend was in that scene, it was indeed FAKE)? I think this is one of those times when I have a slight lapse in my senses and just think the shit is funny. Sorry but I think the shit is funny. Lil Wayne looks like a creature. Perhaps being on lean all the time helps him face the horrible mess staring back at him in the mirror a lot easier. I hope it IS real. We should all be sippin lean when we hafta look at his ass face on.

Mimi said...

I can't really say I agree with this post. I actually came across a YouTube of him mixing that shyt. Now unless something else clear was in that liquid penecillin looking container... I'd say the recipe for lean stands. I don't think it's about him walking in a meeting sober--- he's an addict. He's tolerant. He drinks that shit like kool-aid. Every pitcture--- its there and he's learned how to function with being on it (like any fiend does) so it looks "natural".

I don't agree with that being the image we ate up. I've been a fan of his since The Hot Boyz. Literally. Around the time Tha Carter dropped, he's reinvented his self as a more grown ass man... I LOVED that. I feel like females love a man secure in his skin... that's the best aspect of a swagger. The ego. The confidence. As for his addiction, I think that's his FLAW. I hate that shit. I really feel its why a lot of the shit he's putting out these days is hot flaming garbage. He may have 2 hot bars in a verse then people are oooohing and ahhhhhhhhing. PLEASE. The rest of it sounds like he was bullshitting in the studio with too much time.

His savior: Luxury Tax ...for me right now.

As for 50 being shot. Then, yeah that was "IN" for him. I strongly think, with the older consumer that shit is no longer cute. However, if you're a gangsta rapper... you can be caught on some ass shit... gettign robbed etc. But if you get shot the fuck up... or catch an ill case... who is celebrating that shit?! Not us when they are the picture Black men that are displayed to the masses.

I think the industry right now is in gimmick mode. It's like a dude seeing a fine bitch in the club who has a wife at home... he may just want a quick fuck, nut and then he moves on. Labels want the artist to already have a buzz so they have to spend less money (unless ur a Soulja Boy) and they'll fuck with u just long enough to cake... 10 second brotha versus wifin you and keeping you a long time... then they're done! They need a reason to sell ur record... but i dont necessarily think its violence and drugs anymore.

But hey... thats just me.