Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Sunday, May 4, 2008

VS.


Exception to the Rule
written by JusHH

I’m going to put it out there. I don’t like Fight Klub, Smack or any of these other “new aged” battles. Watching three long, drawn out rounds of rappers babbling on for 90 seconds with no apparent focus isn’t my idea of entertaining. The biggest problem is that they took out the fundamental element of a good battle, freestyling. Battles used to be a contest about wit and creativity. Rappers would have to diss people’s clothes, their looks and most of all, used their opponent’s rhymes against them. If you came in with pre-written rhymes, you would get booed off the stage. Today, with everyone having 5 minutes of raps already prepared, they’ll rap to the script regardless of who’s their opponent or what’s going on. So we get a bunch of random threats of violence and how your main chick “will do certain oral things to me” raps. Save for hilarious moments like the “snuff heard round the world” after Nyckz spat “Oh you mad cuz I’m stylin’ on you”, these battles are boring.

Having said all of that, there are a handful battles where this new style actually works. When each rapper knows who they are battling and they take the time to write creative rhymes about him. You get a “live in concert” version of diss records. Now I’m not converting over to the dark side, you can give me my freestyle battles any day of the week but I’ll stop and pay attention if any two emcees can do it as well as Iron Solomon and Math did it.

Peep the best “new” battle ever. Iron Solomon vs. Math (Round 1)

5 comments:

K Storm said...

And I definately forgot Jay had Mr. Bells fiance in the I WILL NOT LOOSE ROCAWEAR AD...

http://blogs.bet.com/music/soundOff/?p=308
Is this good enough, or does he still have to spit a hot 16?


Freestyle battles today are not the same. I hate when you can definitely tell when an artist comes with pre-written rhymes. Horrible...

Anonymous said...

Def k storm, jus and kt both already responded with this in the comments for the jay post. Props were given.

K Storm said...

-_- yea I saw that after I put this up.

Diony Elias said...

Two BEASTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good looks, Jus .. for going back to the future.

DNYCE

Anonymous said...

Now I'm definitely one for a genuine all out free style battle, but YOOOOOOO!!!!!! This shit was sick and I had to give it to my man Iron Solomon cuz I think he seriously killed it. Pre-written or not it was interesting to watch/hear.

I'm usually checkin PTM constantly at work but I'm glad I peeped this at home over a glass of wine :P cuz I had the volume on blast and that made it even more enjoyable.