Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Take a trip...


Gucci and Boosie Mania!
written by D.O.T.

Gucci Mane and Lil Boosie have to be the two most hated rappers on the East Coast and up North because of their simple rhymes and arrogant swagger. In a day and age when the rap game is consumed by bling and money rhymes these two rappers come off as two superb rhyme "slangers" with their unquestionable flow and catchy hooks. With debut bangers like "So Icy" and "Zoom" Gucc and Boos proved that they have what it takes to make music that if anything the people from Atlanta and Baton Rouge, can relate too.

There is a culture of music that exist down south that does not resonate 100% with the up north crowd. On the east coast we're use to pure lyrical ability but I feel like the East has forgotten that hip hop is for the hip hop community first and foremost and Gucci and Boosie embody hip hop if nothing else. They aren't the most lyrical but they provide some fun with their music during a time when everyone from the East would rather beef than make records people actually enjoy listening to.

For example Joe Budden might be one of the most talented East Coast artists and his talent will probably never be realized because of his inability to produce records that aren't consumed with lyrics slandering listeners for not being able to keep up with his lyrical precision. The bottom line is I'm not going to push the Gucci's and Boosie's of the rap game to the side simply because they are not as lyrical as I would like...especially when they continue to make mix tape after mix tape supplying my habit for something NEW to listen to every week, if not every day. Leave your critical mind at home when you listen to the artists from the south, take a trip down there or something, and maybe you'll see why they're so..."HOT"...in the south.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry D.O.T. but my critical mind kinda goes with me everywhere the rest of me travels, maybe THAT'S an East Coast (NY specifically) thing....

I'm not knockin other people liking their music, I just don't.

Mr. Hutson said...

It takes a brave New Yorker to admit enjoying the artists you so affectionately called Gucc and Boos. I don't know, man. I just haven't been able to hop on the Wipe Me Down train. Nor the spelling bee train (I-N-D-E-few more letters).

Whoever likes 'em, cool. Just ain't my cup. I don't mind catchy music or club joints. I just need a little more than those two are giving me. Luda and T.I. can deliver the catchy without making me feeling like I'm listening to Dr. Seuss on audio.

Anonymous said...

Good post kid.

But I like what I like. They can get their money and do their thing. I"m not mad at them for being who they are. I just think they suck and I would rather listen to Joe Budden over them any day of the week.

And Joey made "Pump It Up" which at the time was the biggest summer banger so its not like he hasn't had a big hit, Def Jam just f**ked his situation up. But that's another story.

And I'm not gonna feel bad because I think someone sucks either. It doesn't mean that I don't "get it" or "understand" where they are from. Like my man said earlier, Ludacris is from the same place but his music is soooooo much better.

Lyrics will always be important to me. Always. Otherwise lets just forget about rappers altogether and listen to instrumentals. lol.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the feedback guys. This is exactly the type of conversation that I wanted to strike up...

I mean, I def have heard Luda say some stuff where it was like wtf. "My livelihood/ is not Hollywood/ I'm still south side Atlanta/ that's a lively hood" or "if you wanna lean somethin?/ Bring ya mothers!" Lines like those leave me fiending for more. So I figure if Luda can get away with it every now and again why can't Gucc???

Stuprint said...

j dotta, i feel you on this article, hip hop cannot be boxed into one thing, but i also think that comparing Boosie and Gucci to a, in my opinion, top 10 current rapper, Luda, is not accurate. While luda occassionally drops a not so hot line, the Boosie's a Gucci's of the world are known for not comin with it lyrically. I appreciate you reppin for the south though, in the illustrious words of David Banner: YAY!