Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, May 16, 2008

Stay in your lane...


“Ignorant Ass Niggas: Why?”
written by 4bars

TI vs Shawty lo article

Today will commence my two part segment entitled “Ignorant Ass Niggas: Why?” Exhibit A: The recent TI vs Shawty Lo “beef”. Now please take the time to read the following summary of the niggerdom above… Keep in mind that TI was recently convicted on weapons charges and worked out a deal where he would be doing things in the community and making sure kids know that violence and the streets are not the way, etc. Now while it doesn’t seem that this is a beef that T.I. necessarily “started”, he clearly could’ve said “no comment” and let the whole thing go. My issue with this whole “beef” however is towards the end of the above article where Shawty Lo claims that TI “ain’t a real street nigga, we been letting him get away with it for a long time.” He goes on to say that he’s not gonna get into a battle rap because “I’ma street nigga, I’ma trapper, I really lived it, I got 28 arrests, four convictions…”.

Now, I think you can see where I’m going here, one of my top 3 rappers of all time, Andre 3000 said it best on Big Boi’s newest track “Royal Flush” (peep that if you haven’t, fuego) where he says “its unfortunate that if you come up fortunate the streets consider you lame, I thought the name of the game was to have a better life I guess it aint, what a shame, I don’t slang never slung but I’m one with the slum…”. Why is Shawty Lo infatuated and PROUD to be a convicted felon? And he looks at T.I. “like a disappointment” because he supposedly isn’t? The more and more hip hop develops, I just really get tired of the clowns allowed to be in it, is there a way that we can just stop wackness from being put out there? I’m not gon front “Dey Know” was an infectious smash and I got hyped when those opening horns dropped, but Lo’s true colors showed on his next single “Dunn Dunn” where it was clear that what most thought of him (flash in the pan thug turned rapper) was indeed true. Can we vote this mf off the Hip Hop Island or SOMETHING! While I’m just a dude who writes on a blog every week, there are some in hip hop who are addressing this type of ridiculousness. Let me know what you think and stay tuned for the second installment next week of “Ignorant Ass Niggas: Why?”.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peep:

The G is about to come out with a track, it's called "The Alphabet Song" (and it's really just the alphabet song, take that Dora the Explorer!) But in addition to that track I'm making a diss record and startin a beef with, u guessed it, the Notorious B.I.G. Cuz word I'm from the Stuy and I don't like how he USED to talk about slangin on the block and runnin from the P's. I NEVER saw that dude on my block yo (could be due to the fact that my parents, yes both and still married, woulda broke my ass, so I was never on the block). Dude was frontin. Plus it's easier for me cuz he can't respond. And Puff if you reading, go ahead and put a buncha different lines from BIG songs together and make a response track. I'ma come harder everytime, Bed Stuy stand up!

PTM I'm pissed that for the five minutes it took me to read this goddamn post and beef article you actually made me think about this stupid ass shit. Man fuck this dumb ass shit!!! What the fuck is wrong with people! Now I know that I'm not gonna be thinkin bout Shawty Lo, TI or their beef after I write this but still, why? Why? I don't usually swear this much so early in the morning unless someone's sleeping on me on the train, but I thought it was necessary to truly express my frustration with the dumb ass shit that's going on. Again, why?!

Anonymous said...

See I know y'all heard this from me before but this is why I value lyrics and guys who can actually rap. All of these "beefs" that we are always complaining about always deal with rappers who can't actually rap. Why does Shawty Lo exist, because our standards have lowered so much that a guy who STEALS, I repeat, STEALS Young Jeezy's flow can get a deal and a hit record.

See when you had to be nice to get a deal or have people give you props, "beefs" weren't beefs, they were battles and you got some good ass, "I'm better than you on the mic" diss records. Because these "rappers" (using the term loosely) can't rap they can't make diss records worth a damn so they say dumb s**t like, "i've been arrested more times and you might happen to have a successful career but i never seen you on the block in the last 5 years so you ain't real"

Remove wack rappers from the game and the trickle down effect will be amazing, I promise.

[Ahh Chooo]

my allergies are kickin' up.

K Storm said...

I think the title should be "IGNORANT ASS NIGGAS: WWWWWHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY?!!!!" So the pain of this dumb ass shit can be felt.
I don't even use the N word,but reading this just makes me want to scream NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA..... DAMN!!! I agree with Jushh lyrics can prevent this type of IGNORANT ASS SHIT, from letting these "rapers"?, "trappers"?, "actors" (cause he sure as hell aint making music)out of HIP HOP. It should be like immigration. They can get in HIP HOP for a bit, the only way they can stay is to marry their way in, or someone has to sponsor you. And the sponsor needs to be a reliable source. JAY-Z, KANYE, NAS... GREAT YOUR IN. FLORIDA (IM SORRY FLO RIDA), ROCKO, OR LIL BOOSIE, U WILL BE DEPORTED...

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA

Mr. Hutson said...

Actually, I'm gonna blame Jay-Z for this. Yes, Hova himself. He started this whole "I'm not a rapper, I'm a hustler" thing, but the difference is that he can actually rap!
These jokers. What does Shawty (I can't respect a rapper named Shawty, man!!) want for his felonies and conviction - a cookie? When I was in kindergarten, we got gold stars for good behavior. No gold stars for you Shawty. No stars.
You rep your hood though, Shawty. You let the good public know that rap ain't about rapping - it's about jail time (so if you get the death penalty, you're flow should REALLY be the ish). You let the world know that if you didn't personally see T.I. in "the hood" then he's not from "the hood." Show the world you can jack someone's flow and then put them on your remix. Smart man that Shawty is. Smart smart shawty.

Anonymous said...

Best line in the article.

"He did put Bankhead on the map. I can't take that away from him. But he ain't from Bankhead," Lo said. "He ain't no real street n---a."

Hmm?

He put Bankhead on the map. This must mean that at one particular point, TI must have resided in Bankhead. (I remember this because when I first heard TI on Bone Crusher's remix, he mentioned that he's from Bankhead) So Shawty Lo admits that but then follows up with "but he ain't from Bankhead".

And he's all salty because TI won't get on a song with him?

hahaha

like Hov put it... "Sensitive thugs, y'all all need hugs"

Anonymous said...

Yeah I think that's my favorite part of the whole thing. You're mad and wanna have a beef cuz u actually like me so much you want me to rock the mic with you? Hmmmmm.

Just K you at it again huh.

Mr. Hutson said...

lol. "My name is Carlo Walker. Look it up."

Man, this dude is truly a character. I mean if he's not a rapper, then don't rap! This sh!t is not that difficult to me.

I'm not really a rapper dog. I just make rap songs, dropped a rap album and founded a rap group. That don't mean I'm a rapper, though. Yeah, yeah I drop subliminals on rap records. Yeah I'm in a rap beef. You think that makes me a rapper, though? HELLZ NAW! I am Carlo Walker, of the infamous Bankhead Walkers. lmao. Google me. Wiki me.

Anonymous said...

Shawty Lo and T.I. are like the sand. And I'm the ocean. The sand always be trying to get into the ocean so I gotta run up on it and slap it back into place in regular intervals. Get back to your dune, sand. Just let the ocean wave.

There will always be whack rappers. No need to let it upset your day. It just makes you appreciate all the talented ones more.

There will also always be stupid people, regardless of race, wealth, or Darwinism. Because the instinct to survive doesn't require intelligence. It's not fight or flight or build a bomb out of gum wrappers and paper clips like MacGyver.

K Storm said...

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!LMAO....
YOOO!!!! MacGyver...NOW THATS TALENT. I bet SHawty Lo can't make one of his guns from gum wrappers and paper clips. I bet all he can do is aim... Like someone previously mentioned, he already said hes not a rapper. Im now getting mad at myself for even feeling DEY KNOW... damn the beat!!!! Its hard to separate the artist...excuse me, the "trapper" from the music. We talked about this before... how can I listen to his music when I know hes such an IGNORANT PERSON?

Mr. Hutson said...

MacGyver?! lol. How do you come up w/ this stuff?

And KStorm, don't be mad @ the infectious beat. Just be mad that it ain't original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbNO81wY1mM&feature=related

Stuprint said...

two things: 1)that beat def used the same sample etc but a tad diff, but i feel you, 2) WAS ANYBODY FEELING THE VERSION WITHOUT F'N LUDA, WAYNE, AND JEEZY? That's the other thing that makes this clown so terrible is that it took 3 of the hottest rappers out right now (i regret that jeezy is actually on this list, even though he ripped it "ladies how you dooooiiinnn...")to uplift this song to a hit (sigh)