Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Voice of the young people?


Reasonable Doubts
written by Kyle Turner

I know that my posts of late have drifted from the original vein of analyzing an artist’s songs and lyrics to try to find the deeper meaning within the words to a more analytical stance in interpreting hip-hop’s greater affect on the culture of which we claim to be apart. So, in light of the recent verdict in the case of the People v. Sean Bell, I choose to take this time to encroach upon the relative, selective neutrality that so many our very visible hip-hop artists choose to employ in situations like this.

I had the very distinct pleasure of having a discussion about this very topic with two of my closest and most intelligent associates over the past week. I’m not sure how many of you had the moderate “pleasure” of hearing Jay-Z’s diss track towards Washington Wizards guard Deshawn Stevenson; it was this frivolous use of lyrical talent that sparked the initial discussion. “Why,” my friend asked, “does Jay feel it necessary to make a song addressing such a meaningless topic?” I am paraphrasing, to be sure, but it was an interesting question. Why address the feud between two dueling millionaires and not a more pertinent issue?

No, Jay-Z, or any rapper for that matter, is obligated to address every current event that happens to grace the front page of the Post or the Times. As my other friend stated, “this particular issue didn’t inspire him.” Fair enough, people feel passionate about certain things and dispassionate about others. But from a man who claims to be “young vito/voice of the young people/mouthpiece for hustlers/ventriloquist for doublers…” he seems quite silent about this.

Is it my place to decide what any artist should and should not be writing – or not writing in Jay’s case – about? Absolutely not. These are grown men we are talking about and they are responsible for everything they do and don’t do. Still, I personally find it peculiar that a man who would take the time to include a song about hurricane Katrina (“Minority Report”) on Kingdom Come and criticize Al Sharpton (on “Say Hello” from American Gangster) wouldn’t find a moment to at least say a word or two about this. My friend told me that he isn’t a political figure and therefore, shouldn’t be expected to wax extensively on a topic like this. However, I would argue the contrary. Shouldn’t a non-politico be free from the reins of constituent alienation? Artists like him are in unique positions in that they command the ear of the general public and more so a group that often isn’t privy to the goings on of a system that tends not to favor them while also possessing nearly immeasurable wealth; certainly enough to shield them somewhat from any legal backlash.

Though my post may focus on Jay, I implore you, the reader to look deeper than the who’s and the what’s. Whether we want to admit this or not, many of the artists we listen to on the daily are seen by the greater public as representatives. It’s an unfair and even a foolhardy association due to the assumption that hip-hop culture and black culture are synonymous. Put simply they are not, however, we must acknowledge the influence that artists like Jay-Z, Diddy, Kanye West and Lil Wayne have. Though I won’t be presumptuous enough to assume they won’t eventually share their thoughts on the acquittal of Detectives Oliver, Isnora and Cooper, I will be bold enough to hope that they will. Jay is right, Sharpton doesn’t speak for all of us; I just hope that our artists are strong enough to do the speaking for themselves. I don’t want to keep asking if anybody makes real shit anymore.

17 comments:

K Storm said...

In all fairness, the verdict came out last Wednesday. Is Jay honestly expected to hop in the booth or call up our local radio station and spit 16 bars? Some of us place too much on the shoulders of these artist. It is up to us to get it out there. Yes its great when an artist speaks on topics that reach an audience it typically would not be exposed to, but thats just a bonus.

Diony Elias said...

Well stated, K Storm.

D.

Anonymous said...

I guess this goes back to the whole debate about whether or not a person should be responsible for the message that they send out. Michael Jordan was criticized throughout his career for never offering up a clear stance on social issues, largely because, like Tiger Woods, it wasn't in his character.

It is up to us to get out there, and I think a lot of the desire to see artists and athletes speak up is because we still long for a unifying voice to lead us in one direction because we are so fragmented. It's a responsibility that is inherently unfair, but one that is also almost impossible to escape.

So the question then ends up being 'do we lambaste them for not speaking up or not?' We can't deny the level of influence these people have and I can only speak for myself that if that level of influence, wealth, etc. was in my hands, I would feel an obligation to use it for something besides increasing my profit margin.

Maybe that's too idealistic though, and the reality is that we can't expect anyone to do anything. I'm still not sure how to feel about all this.

And you make a very valid point, K-Storm. I just long for more people, especially people who are in positions of power, to stop taking the easy way out when they have to answer a question about the social or racial condition.

I don't know, maybe I'm just projecting...

Anonymous said...

Although the verdict did come out last wednesday, i have already hear a half a dozen songs by other artists about this issue. Nas spoke on 106 and even Game had some "profound" comments on this issue on his own website.

But he did "hop in the booth" to spit a diss record against a basketball player in a much shorter span of time. I think the question is why rhyme about Lebron and not Sean Bell when you claim to be, "the voice of the young people?"

Now I don't think less of Hov in any way but it does upset me when people who have such influence either don't use it or make things worse (cam'ron)

And I don't think we're putting "too much on artists' shoulders by asking them to be social or political". Historically, its been artists who have been just has vocal as any political figure or social activist. Peep the music at the time of the Vietnam War or during Segregation. The top artists of that day contributed their talents to speak towards a cause.

We're not asking Jay-Z to organize a bus boycott, just "talk"... that should be right down his alley.

Anonymous said...

You ARE projecting, but that's human so go ahead. I agree with you though K.T. This Sean Bell thing has been bothering me since the verdict came out and I want more peolpe talking about it. It is kinda early to expect a track out about it but I haven't even heard the hip hop community merely TALKING about it.

I'm trying to have faith in hip hop that this will be addressed somehow. I'm truly hoping it will, because these artists have the voice that we (the people on this blog and in the community) don't. We can talk about it with each other and go out and make moves, but it would make so much more of an impact if they used their influence to help us.

The thing that is bugging me most is that I KNOW this isn't the only incident of injustice that occurred recently (Jena, LA) and no one in hip hop is really addressing this. My hope is that artists take the momentum and craftsmanship that they use to talk about their pasts to talk about our future. Cuz if this was back in the day Queen Latifah, the Last Poets, Public Enemy or X-Clan woulda got on a track.

I'm gonna stay optimistic about this cuz quite frrankly the situation is dire enough that it's the only way for me to keep hope about change.

Anonymous said...

Correction, as I was writing that JusHH posted a comment saying there has been talk about it....glad to hear it. Now let's take that somewhere productive.

Anonymous said...

Furthermore... the rapper/fan relationship is a two-way street. Earlier this week in another discussion, i said that we "can't" or "shouldn't" dictate what a rapper should rap about but I'm not so sure anymore.

Hip-Hop music was founded on one principle... giving voice to the voiceless. allowing people to express themselves who have been excluded from the mainstream.

If a rapper can say, "hey, listen to me, listen to what i have to say" and we spend our money on that, then we also have the right to express what it is that we want to hear.

Isn't it why many of us are drawn to artists like Kanye and Lupe in the first place? Because in the midst of all the stupid club music and drug and gang talk, these artists are speaking to issues that we actually want to hear about.

Jay-Z and these other artists, indirectly asked the Sean Bell's of the world to support them, is it too much for us to ask of them to support Sean Bell?

Like I said, I'm not askin Hov to get arrested cuz he sat in the middle of the George Washington Bridge but just "talk."t

Anonymous said...

Lastly, before it looks too one sided. I will give Jay props for the verses on "Ignorant Shit", "Say Hello", and "Minority Report". On his tour with Mary he does have a political set where he denounces President Bush and demands that we need change and "informally" endorses Barack Obama.

Anonymous said...

Tell us how u REALLY feel JusHH! LOL

K Storm said...

WHY? Why the hell are we expecting artist to speak on this? And specifically HOV? Yes, this issue is very serious and a scary situation for all men, young people, and minorities. But EXPECTING something from someone only leads to disappointment.
I respect Hov for even having a political set in his show, and even with all that he has talked about we are still upset that he hasn't spoken about a verdict that took place last week? DAMN YALL ARE TOUGH.

And I don't know how long it took HOV to respond to the Lebron beef, and Im not one to make excuses for others but isn't he and James BFFs? Give him a break, he could be like TIGER WOODS, like Jushh mentioned and not do shit. Then again, WHY DO WE EXPECT Tiger to do or say n e thing? I just think because we look up to these people we put A LOT on them. WE should organize something, or take part in a few rallies and get this thing going. Instead of waiting for 16 bars from Jay, lets talk about what we can do. Im down for that.

Anonymous said...

1) I didn't mention Tiger Woods - KT did.

2) I have a similar beef w/ Tiger in terms of the fact that he doesn't speak up when controversial matters exist (i.e. Augusta National's history of discrimination)

3) Storm, you wrong to say that Tiger "doesn't do shit". Tiger's charity work is up there with anyone you can name. He just built an entire SCHOOL in california for kids who are underprivileged and he has countless programs and events trying to get minorities into the sport of Golf. When it comes to using his resources to help, Tiger gets busy.

4) I am tough. I expect the best out of alot of people and I wouldn't ask anyone to do anything that I wouldn't be willing to do myself.

Stuprint said...

I think there is a difference in expecting a person to "do" something and expecting a person who is always speaking out about frivolous stuff to at least have something to say when something significant happens. Hov spoke on Cristal, defending his King of NY status, Nas' baby mama, etc yet some shit happens in his backyard and he says nothing, i think that's foul. same way i think jordan never sayin shit if foul while selling shoes to the same people at ridiculous profit, same as Tiger saying he's "not black" even though every f'n person in the country knows he is, in the words of Uncle Ben from Spiderman: "with great power comes great responsibility" whether you like the shit or not, you talk a lot of shit as a rapper, but when its time to say something, you hold your tongue cause it may put your money at risk, i think that's foul, period. This is as i'm having a conversation with my white coworkers (i'm the only black one) about race, as i continue to have no matter how awkward it makes em feel. (breath) rant over

Anonymous said...

Take PTM for example... We started this site to promote the positive aspects of Hip-Hop and add to the culture.

Although my influence is significantly smaller than say, Jay-Z's, If tomorrow our viewership jumped to 1 million each day, you better believe that i'm still going to write about how rappers need to clean up their rhymes, we need more respect and romance for the ladies and push artists that set a positive example.

Hov talks about how he's people's with Bono. Now I'm not a huge U2 fan, but Bono gets it in! He's the epitome of artist/activist. He understands the power of his fame and fortune and he uses it almost on a daily basis to help the poorest and most ignored people on this planet.

Now, I'm not asking nor expecting Hov to get to that level any more than I'm expecting anyone reading this to be the next MLK. I just want Jay to "talk". There hasn't been a social issue that hit the hood of NY harder in the last year and a half than the Sean Bell case and for a rapper who still reps BK whenever he gets and says he's still that same hustler from Marcy not to use his voice to help the situation is wrong.

Ok, that's enough out of me for a few hours :)

K Storm said...

Ok. I see what u r saying. But if he doesn't speak on it, then what? Do we look at HOV differently? That's like people who get mad when artist help kids in Africa but don't do enough in the US. Charity is charity. Or are we taking this a bit personal cause we are right in the tristate? And shots out to Tiger for his charity work... And thanks Diony...

Anonymous said...

Nah, not even. I don't think we have to think of him less but i don't see anything wrong with having high standards for people of influence and power.

Who knows, next week hov could make an entire song and make this whole convo null and void.

Anonymous said...

... Even better than a song

http://allhiphop.com/stories/news/archive/2008/05/02/19773445.aspx

Props given and well deserved. Benefits of the doubt will be officially given from here on from me.

Anonymous said...

I will gladly eat crow for this one. Hov gets a standing ovation from me.