Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Monday, May 12, 2008

Diggin' in the crates...


Knocking the Dust Off
written by JusHH

Since the MP3 burst onto the scene, I found myself listening to music more on my Winamp playlist, I often forget what CD’s that I have. So I decided to break out my CD collection and see what I’ve got. I obviously skipped those obvious albums that everyone has (Ready To Die, Reasonable Doubt, The Chronic, etc.) and really “dug in the crates”. Here’s the highlights…

TEN albums that I haven’t heard in years:

* AZ – Doe or Die
* Ludacris – Word of Mouf
* Xzibit – Restless
* Heltah Skeltah – Magnum Force
* Dead Prez – Let’s Get Free
* Funkmaster Flex/ Big Kap – The Tunnel
* Outkast – Stankonia
* Puff Daddy – No Way Out
* 2Pac – R U Still Down? (Remember Me)
* Fat Joe – Don Cartagena



NINE albums that I use to, and I quote, “get the drawers dawg!!!”:

* Maxwell – Embrya
* Chico Debarge – Long Time No See
* John Ledgend – Get Lifted
* Boyz II Men – II
* Jon B – Cool Relax
* Alicia Keys – As I Am
* Maxwell – Urban Hang Suite
* Donell Jones – Where I Wanna Be
* Brian McKnight – Anytime



BONUS: I even found some tapes, yes tapes, that I used to rock out to:

* Das Efx – Straight Up Sewaside
* A+ - Hempstead High
* Bell Biv Devoe – WBBD Bootcity! The Remix Album
* Ahmad – Ahmad (yes the guy who did “Back in the Day”, terrible album)


When I need that pure s**t, I can put on these EIGHT joints:

* Big Punisher – Capital Punishment
* Joell Ortiz – The Brick (The Bodega Chronicles)
* Big L – The Big Picture
* Canibus – Can-I-Bus
* Raekwon – Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
* Redman – Muddy Waters
* Smoothe Da Hustler – Once Upon a Time in America
* Cassidy – I’m A Hustler



SEVEN classics that people don’t talk about:

* Beanie Sigel – The Truth
* Bone Thugs N Harmony – E. 1999
* Ghostface Killah – Supreme Clientele
* Blackstar – Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Blackstar
* Little Brother – The Minstrel Show
* Onyx – All We Got Iz Us
* The Roots – Illadelph Halflife



If I had to pick SIX under the radar albums to recommend, this would be the list:

* Kurupt – Streets Iz A Mutha
* Scarface – The Last of a Dying Breed
* Def Squad – El Nino
* Capone-N-Noreaga – The Reunion
* Killarmy – Dirty Weaponry
* Terror Squad – The Album



BONUS: So what I bought these joints, I like ‘em and I ain’t gonna apologize for it

* Nelly – Nellyville
* Sisqo – Unleash The Dragon
* Camp Lo – Uptown Saturday Night



FIVE albums inspired by a movie:

* The Best Man Soundtrack
* The Nutty Professor 2 Soundtrack
* Streets Is Watching
* Life Soundtrack
* DJ Clue Presents… Backstage



The FOUR albums that make me grab my guitar and rock out!:

* Korn – Follow The Leader
* Kid Rock – Devil Without a Cause
* Limp Bizkit – Significant Other
* Linkin Park – Hybrid Theory



These THREE are truly timeless:

* Rakim – Paid In Full
* A Tribe Called Quest – Midnight Mauraders
* Slick Rick – The Great Adventures of Slick Rick



TWO Albums I forgot I even had:

* Michael Jackson – Invincible
* Fatal – In the Line of Fire



BONUS: Here’s a few that used to be in the collection but I sold back to the store (lol)

* LL Cool J – G.O.A.T.
* Boot Camp Click – For the People
* Busta Rhymes – Anarchy



If I had a fire, this is the ONE album that I’ll save above all the others:

* Nas – IllMatic

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious. You woke me up this morning. A few things to say:

I just watched Chico DeBarge's "Virgin" a few weeks ago and lost my mind at him and these two corny dudes in the back dancing in a f-in barn with their shirts open. Classic 90's style you gotta love it.

Donell Jones "Where I wanna Be" was the slickest album. His first album was tight too but this one really put him on the map. Never stop rockin that.

ANYTHING Maxwell will get you the drawals!!!

I'm mad you said tapes, but A+....you already know what Ima say :)

Did that BBD have "Tell Me When Will I See You Smile Again?"

Um, EVERYBODY copped that Sisqo so don't feel bad. And Camp Lo? Are you serious?! Don't EVER apologize for a Camp Lo copp, I love them dudes!

Any Michael Jackson, yes even the latest albums, is worth having. I have Invincible too and I love some of the songs on it.

And as far as rockin out...I admit I love this song out right now by Flyleaf called "All Around Me." I honestly think it's a hot track.

I hope that's an air guitar by the way......lol

Anonymous said...

And I know PTM is about Hip Hop but I have to admit that if I had to save ONE album in a fire it would be and R&B classic for me. Playa "Cheers 2 U" has to be my favorite album of all time...Yes in spite of Lil Wayne's Lollipop Static truly was a great singer/songwriter.

K Storm said...

This is great.

I agree with the Maxwell statement the g made... But something about Janet, and 112 just makes me wanna throw the "drawers"... (DONT JUDGE ME :)

I love Linkin Park, they are the truth, and whats good with NO DOUBT OR EVANESCENCE? Love them...

Anonymous said...

Yean Evanessence is the truth, I just don't have their CD. All their stuff is on my computer.

A+ is the s**t!!!!!

that BBD song is one of my favorite "sing in the shower" songs ever!

Mr. Hutson said...

Yeah, Janet makes me wanna toss the "drawers," too. And I'm a dude. I can only hope it makes the chick wanna do the same, or else I'm just standing there, butt-naked, looking @ a fully-clothed chick. Awkward.

Yeah, and don't apologize for Camp Lo. Sisqo, though...I guess as long as you didn't have a platinum thong hanging over a poster of him in your room...

I wish you had done a section for complete duds in your collection. The "why the hell did I buy these" CDs. I've got enough of those to feed a small third world country.

Anonymous said...

Well I got the Refund post... I didn't want to go down that road again. There was alot of good allowances wasted on some of those albums and I don't want to bring up bad memories.

Mr. Hutson said...

Deep. Painful. Understandable.

Anonymous said...

Juat K you stay having me laughing madd loud at work. Stop it!!!!

JusHH, singing in the shower, hmmmmm.....I guess I can't front, I think I'm Beyonce meets Anita Baker when I'm at home cooking by myself.

Mr. Hutson said...

(Channeling my inner Diddy)
"Can't stop. Won't stop. Take that, take that."
Excuse me as I go PMS (preserve my sexy).

Smoothe Da Hutsler. Wow.
Also, it's amazing that you found a way to mentally mute the beats and just listen to the Can-I-Bus lyrics.
Any chance you got the tape where him, DMX, and Noreaga were just on the radio, trading bars back and forth? Absolute classic. I would pay decent money for that joint.

K Storm said...

YEAH MAN. I gotta stop checking PTM during work. Yall are too funny.... LMAO!!!

Anonymous said...

I think me and G were talking about that Nore, X and Canibus session as one of the greatest "radio dubbing" moments in the history of the world. I remember losing my mind over that.

Yeah I would give up a few friends to hear that one again.

And Canibus' 2nd album is the one that i am talking about and the production really ain't that bad... Wyclef couldn't f**k it up.

Anonymous said...

just k I got you, I think I got it on one my hard drives. I'll check tonight.

Anonymous said...

Just K I said stop it!!!! LMAO! No one can preserve their sexy like Puff lol

Anonymous said...

JusHH I don't know if you're a fan (of Mary) but wussup with ya Mary and L-Boogie collections? They are serious crossovers in the realm of hip hop and R&B but you didn't mention em in ur cd collection. Do you just not own?

Anonymous said...

Of course I own the Miseducation. I was trying not to name all of the obvious and most popular joints... plus i have a couple hundred CD's and i couldn't list them all (haha)

I love Mary but not enough to have bought her albums. Like i enjoyed 4 or 5 songs on each album. I would buy a greatest hits joint.

Anonymous said...

:/ Poor Mary....couple hundred, ur actually worse than me. When the music fell off so did my cd buying.

Anonymous said...

Not for nothing Wiz but did you actually look at the CD's in the picture for this post?

Not quite sure Avril Levine is in my CD rack and I definitely don't own any of the "Now" series... Not a PTM picture lmfao j/k

Anonymous said...

not for nothing jus, you just send me some words. I spent a good hour trying to find a picture. Deal with it word up. One

Haha

K Storm said...

THAT IS TOO FUNNY. Jushh you pay attention to details, nice... If you didn't mention that, I don't think n e one would have noticed. But since its on BLAST!!!! KELLY CLARKSON !!!!!!! 40 Year Old Virgin moment.

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha K-Storm I was thinking the same thing but wasn't gonna say anything. I peeped that Kelly Clarkson and Ashlee Simpson.

G-Wiz you always have the best pics for the posts, lol

Mr. Hutson said...

Man! If you can give me access to that Canibus, DMX, and NORE joint (on mp3 no less!)...what you want man? Friends, I'd sell 'em. Kidneys, I'd donate 'em...or maybe just one. My autographed Mr. Marcus baseball cap? lol. I'm bugging. Yeah, that joint was the greatest. Remember NORE kept trying to leave the studio?

As for the Miseducation...Lauryn is in a real special place right now. I don't even know if she remembers making that CD.

lol. Ahhhhhhhhhhh KELLY CLARKSON!

PTM, the home of hilarity and hijinks.

Anonymous said...

Talk about favorite albums that I forgot I had on CD. Soundbombing 2 is 27 tracks of gold diamonds. Pharcyde Bizarre Ride II--even the interludes are solid. And I loved it back in the day but the critics hated it and I still love it now-- The Firm. I couldn't make a mix tape without a track from that on it.

Anonymous said...

Eminem destroyed Any Man on that album... and yes thats in my rack too.

Anonymous said...

Hold up, hold up, hold up....I just realized--I GOT GOT off that Maxwell Urban Hang Suite. And yes, soon after that man "got the drawers dawg!!!"

(Hey what can I say Maxwell does it everytime. Smart man)

Mimi said...

I loved this... I cant even comment like I want to. I LOL @ A+. I think If I cleaned out some boxes... Id have that too... authographed! He was mad cute when he came to Boston. hahahaha. I think the SEVEN one... real music heads DO talk about... good list though.

Ps. GOAT... yeah I wasn't feeling it too tough. But LL cool J is one of the best that ever did it--- he remains true to himself... and I cant be mad at him.