Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, May 23, 2008

MTV at it again...


The ridiculousness that is the “10 hottest MC’s” list
Written by 4bars

Quick bit of business: the 2 part series I.A.N. will be continued next week, but after I saw the clips that were posted of MTV’s supposed “10 Hottest MC’s of 2008”, I couldn’t let this ride. There was a lot that occurred that had me legitimately pissed off, a bit is low lighted below:

* debating T.I. or Soulja Boy on the list?
* Andre 3000 ranked below Rick Ross? Big Boi wasn’t even on the list?
* Ludacris, Bun-B, and Joe Buddens are not even on the list yet Young Jeezy is?
* Jeezy is higher on the list than Lupe Fiasco?

I could go on and on about the different ridiculous quotes from the “panelists” but the one thing that spoke volumes about the glaring flaw in this list is that “lyrics” were an afterthought in the criteria. If I’m not mistaken the word “lyrics” wasn’t even used until they were talking about Jay-Z at #3. I’m no conspiracy theorist, but I gotta call a spade a spade, follow me for a second: MTV/BET (read Viacom) is a huge part of what I think is wrong with Hip Hop, everything being about image and bling etc. It just so happens that the group of hip-hop “experts” happens to be producers and executives from MTV’s hip hop faction. Pushing an agenda are we?

Bottom line is, there was a panel of “experts” who discussed and voted on a list of the “hottest” MCs in the game and lyrics were almost seen as a bonus for comparing and rating the artists (I use the term loosely); this is foul to me and makes no sense. Hip-hop is indeed more than just lyrics but when you talk about the hottest rapper, things like swag, persona, image, and sales should be things that are discussed in case there is a tie between two rappers who have similar lyrical ability. Hip hop should be about the music, all that other stuff takes care of itself. Maybe I’m blowing this out of proportion but this really had me pretty upset as I watched these so called informed panelists talk about Rick Ross’ persona of “the boss” as something to aspire to and something “fresh” and “new”; or the way they talked about Shawty Lo and Rocko biting Young Jeezy’s style, again, like it was something of merit. I’m not gonna front like I wasn’t bobbin my head hard as a mf to “The Boss” when I first heard it or like I don’t f wit Jeezy when he’s on a track but to have these guys among the hottest rappers is ridiculous. Both Jeezy and Ross are severely lacking lyrically and honestly portray an image/persona that, to me, is false. My man gWiz alluded to it in an earlier post, we need to start questioning the authenticity of these dudes cause like Saigon “I’m feelin disrespected (if everybody hittin dimes, who got all these ugly bitches pregnant?” hahahaha).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is 4 Bars putting lyrics first? [one tear]

I agree with all that you said about how to rate a rapper but I can't get mad at the list because it was the top 10 "hottest" rappers not best.

We all know what "best" means but how does one define being hot? Nas is clearly "better" than Soulja Boy but is he "hotter"? I believe that being hot speaks to things like "media buzz", "popularity" or "the volume of material" at a particular time. Being hot and being good aren't always the same thing. Jeezy isn't better than Bun B but according to what i think being hot is, he's hotter.

I'm not mad at the MTV panel either. I actually feel that they try their best to level the playing field and take "skills" into account. Some of those dudes you can clearly tell hate some of those rappers on the list but couldn't deny their "hotness" or commercial appeal.

Personally, I would never make a "hottest" list because i never gave a s**t about that stuff but because it was what it was, I think they did pretty well with their list.

Diony Elias said...

Well said, Mr. JusHH.

4Bars, I feel your agony though.

DNYCE.

Mr. Hutson said...

Media Television = MTV