Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Diss Records...


Battle Rap Written by K. Billy

Hip-hop artists have a way of being multi-faceted. You get the conscious, pensive songs and your braggadocios, flamboyant ones. One relationship that has always proved intriguing to me is the constant game of shifting between collaboration and criticism that artists seem to play regularly. The culprits are much lazier with theirs nowadays than they had been in the past. Barring a few exceptions, there may not have been very many battle songs put out in the last 15. What we get now are diss tracks, but really, what’s the difference? Is LL’s verbal diatribe against Hammer and Kool Moe Dee on “To Da Break of Dawn” any different from the musical game of “the dozens” that Luda and T.I. play on “Stomp” any different?

I’m not really one to say, although I think the diss records we get now border on immaturity. Shawty Lo’s “Dunn, Dunn” comes to mind in that regard. All I can think is “whatever.” Perhaps that’s not a fair example, though. Because, although that song is supposed to be a diss track towards T.I., it’s not like you would know it. Not like, say, the wildly straightforward barbs thrown on the aforementioned “Stomp.” Still, even though it’s easy to spot the target of their respective anger, the rest of their verses are mired in the standard themes of today’s rap music. That being said, it doesn’t make it a good battle record. But we end up at the same point anyway. What is a good battle record if you can’t tell about whom the artist is talking? More than that, what’s the real difference between a diss track and a battle record, if there is one to begin with?

I wanted to take this post and offer you, the readers the opportunity to ask yourself that question and next week, I want to give up my own theories. Until then, take in these tracks and see where you draw the line.

Young Buck, TI, The Game, & Ludacris - Stomp


Tupac - Hit Em Up


L.L.Cool J - Mama said knock you out


50 Cent I Smell Pu**y

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I don't think we should get caught up in semantics. I feel a "battle record" and a "diss record" are the same thing.

I think the question is are today's diss records good records or bad records?

I think the quality of the diss record fell off for the same reason that I've been bitching about since PTM's inception - lack of lyrical skill.

With wack/average rappers running the show we get diss records that are reduced to "I'm more gangsta than you and I'll shoot you and your mom" raps. We get, "you ain't real and can't come back to your hood raps". I think one of my boys said it best when we were talking about the current state of battling. "It all sucks, all we get now are threats to a beat" - perfect.

Here's what we won't get any more...

"you walk around showin' off your body cuz it sells, plus to avoid the fact that you ain't got skills. Mad at me cuz I kick that s**t real n***as feel, cuz 99% of your fans wear high heels."

or

"the speculation talk over, dig this, I'm about to 'Sun-Kiss' like a soda. And make Jay-to the-Muah, put his lips to the nine and really Kiss the Game Goodbye"

So until rappers step their game up, we are going to be left with guys like Shawty Lo dissing T.I.

Mr. Hutson said...

Hmmmmm...

I can't quite explain it, but I consider Jay-Z and Joe Budden over the Pump it Up beat a battle, but Jay-Z vs. Nas a competition of diss records. Maybe I'm splitting hairs. Either way, I do miss the really good battles. I wouldn't mind hearing a good one in like 3 or 4 years, but it's all soooooooo played out right now.