Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, June 6, 2008

June 10th...


Let The Anticipation Build, BIIIIITCH!!
written by 4bars

If you haven’t heard Tha Carter III yet, you should, its a very good album, in my opinion, and I’ve yet to listen to the full body of work as extensively as I’d like to before I give it my concrete judgment, so stay tuned, but go cop it on the 10th. But this isn’t about my opinion on the album as much as its about the anticipation that I didn’t realize existed for it.

Clearly, there are millions of hip hop heads around the globe who have been waiting for this album for 2-3 years now and finally, on June 10th we’ll get what we’ve been waitin so patiently (or not so patiently, Wiz) for. What I didn’t realize, however, is that main stream America is waitin on this joint pretty crazy too. I mean, yeah, Wayne got the “hottest rapper in the game” title last year before Yeezy took it over, so the MTVers, theoretically “know” who Wayne is, but I interact with these same MTVers on a daily basis and the ones that don’t play basketball really have no grasp of Lil’ Wayne or what he’s done (I mention basketball players as the exception cause all they f’n listen to is Wayne). Much the way Superstar can come on and people don’t know its Lupe, I’ve watched a crowd of people bump and grind to Lollipop while singing “BOTTLES IN THE CLUUUBBB…” and those same people will look at me as if I’m speaking German when I ask if they’ve heard the new Wayne.

I’m in a suburban Best Buy yesterday in Annapolis, MD, a mostly white, yet fairly diverse, rapidly growing, small city, buying the Little Brother “Getback” LP (finally, haha, I don’t have much disposable income) and I noticed about 10 of those tabs that they have the rappers names on with no discs in front and as I looked closer I noticed a sign alerting me that at 10am on Tuesday morning, Tha Carter III would be available. Wayne hasn’t put out an album in 3 years and this mf has grown to GTA anticipation status, haha, incredible. I also noticed that Dedication 2, a mixtape, was available for purchase. There were also less well known rappers’ mixtapes for sale too, but seeing Dedication 2 in Best Buy definitely caught me off guard, in a good way.

The week of June 10th, I will buy Tha Carter III, mostly cause it’ll be 9.99 that week, but also because it’s a very good album, I just hope I don’t have to f’n elbow or shove somebody out the way for steppin on my shoes, “I aint afraid to do 5 years in Rikers just to prove a point…” hahaha, enjoy the weekend ya’ll. (“and the beat goes BOOM…”)

0 comments: