Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Monday, June 23, 2008

Negro Please...


Ice, Ice, Baby
written by JusHH

So I’m on Allhiphop and I see Ice-T vs. Soulja Boy and of course my curiousity trumps my better judgment and I have to read what this is about. So first I watch what Ice-T said about Soulja on a mixtape.



After seeing it, my first reaction was, “oh my god, is that what I sound like?” “Am I like Ice-T?” If you’ve ever read any of my posts and comments you know that I’m not the biggest fan of many of today’s hottest artists or lack of lyricism but I was legitimately scared that I might be coming across like Ice-T. I re-read my letter to Soulja Boy (Soulja Boy Sincerely Yours) and some of my other contributions and was relieved to find that Ice and I aren’t drinking the same Tea (stupid pun, yes, but funny to me). In fact, I don’t disagree with Ice at all on this one and I’m riding with Mr. Superman himself. Minus some of the language I was impressed with his response.



Soulja Boy made some great points including how last year this time he was broke and was only making the music that he knew how to make. Forgive a High School kid for wanting to make a fun party record. And I think that’s where I have the biggest problem with Ice-T. Ice is 38 years old telling a 17 year old kid to “eat a d**k.” How ridiculous do you have to be to start a war of words with a kid who you yourself said, “could be his own son?” Plus, Ice is wrong, Soulja Boy isn’t killing Hip-Hop. Its not his fault soooo many people love that f**king dance and its not his fault that record executives won’t give talented emcees who don’t have gimmicks a deal. Then Soulja Boy made another excellent point; if Ice-T is truly an OG and thinks he’s “killing” Hip-Hop, then shouldn’t Ice do something more productive and help him be a better artist rather than tell him to “eat a d**k?” And he’s absolutely right. We all can’t just bitch and complain without offering some kind of solution and support because at the end of the day, everyone from Soulja Boy to Jeezy to Shawty Lo are just trying to make it. These dudes aren’t in the studio saying, “how can I make a record to disrespect Hip-Hop?” They are trying to stay out of the hood and life the live we are all trying to live.

Feeling the heat, Ice-T decided to release an “apology”.



Lovely. 25 seconds of apology for telling him to “eat a d**k” and 4 minutes and 6 seconds of equally disparaging remarks and ludicrous statements. There’s going to be repercussions for Soulja Boy for coming at you? Really Ice? He sounded so childish (again) and immature (again). And I love it when a person, while doing a YouTube spot, talks about how they “don’t even know why they bother to respond” as if they are too important for it. I’m sorry Ice-T but if you are going to take the time to edit a YouTube response, then you don’t qualify for the “I’m to big for this” category. And just when you thought it couldn’t get more ridiculous, at the end you see Ice’s 16 year old son tell Soulja Boy to “eat a d**k”. Good job, dad. Way to set the example.

So after all of the accomplishments that Ice-T has made during his long career, he decided to start a beef with a minor. I don’t know what’s worse, Ice-T starting this or him actually losing the intellectual battle? Props to Soulja Boy for standing hall and defending himself. Oh and Ice, I know you feel that Soulja Boy isn’t on your level but let me use this one statistic to show that you might be past your prime and may not have the same pull that you had in 1991. Your two videos were viewed (at the time this was written) by 141,878 people. Soulja Boy’s respone? 744,049.

Yeah, let’s try not to look like a bitter old man next time you want to defend Hip-Hop. You set good folks like JusHH back at least 6 months.

8 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

"Now you niggas looking happy."

By far, my favorite line of the Ice-T video.

Soulja Boy is 17, right? Granted, Nas made Illmatic @ 17, but still. I mean, I used to crack on dude, but dude's a kid. He made a happy party song and it happened to blow. The kiddies danced, and it ain't his fault people in their 40s tryin' to regain their youth tried to Superman that h** as well. I think it's kinda messed up that young'n is catching all that flack 'cause he lucked out. What, he supposed to say "keep the money, I'mma stay in the hood 'cause my song ain't real hip-hop."

And on another note, I'm pretty sure that Shawty Lo purposely tries to kill hip-hop whenever he steps in the booth. Look him up. Carlo Walker. He's got felonies. One of 'em gotta be attempted murder of hiphop.

Anonymous said...

Actually Illmatic came out when he was 21 but he was def around 18 when he spit on Live at the BBQ... but that's Nas. It's like saying dudes should be good enough to play in the NBA straight out of High School because Kobe and Lebron did it (lol)

Yo and Ice looks sooooo old wearing that Iverson Reebok jersey from like 2000.

Anonymous said...

Correction... Ice-T will be 50 next year. 50. 50. 50. Arguing with a 17 year old kid. 50. WOW.

Stuprint said...

this is ridiculous, Ice-T is totally wrong for this, btw, Soulja Boy is a f'n kid, i'm not excusing him for making a response but the person who's supposed to be the adult here let his anger get the best of him and then gave a half assed, not really an apology at all. Its a damn shame, Jus said it right, Ice is wrong for this whole situation, typical old ass black dude, it's a f'n shame, period.

Anonymous said...

hahaha Jus i was thinking the same thing about the jersey and the shades... you in the crib why you got the dark shades on? gangsta? none of this is needed and i hope this isn't to get a buzz about an Ice t album...

Anonymous said...

This is so stupid.

Anonymous said...

This is a total waste of both of their time.

Mimi said...

EXACTLY!

Ice did nothing but EMBARRASS HIMSELF...

and after FOREVER of clowning... Soulja Boy stood on his own two. He didnt even need to make a second vid. He trumped it in one.