Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I shine, You shine...


So one of my good peoples put me on to this artist. Not bad at all, I'll let S.Evans tell her story...

"Reluctant to have Monday be like Wednesday, which according to my friends is the new Friday, I was going to skip it when my homegirl invited me to see her in a show last night at the Times Square Art Center. But because it was her first real gig as a DJ (shout out to all the female DJ's out there looking cute behind the tables) I decided it was in her best interest for me to go and support. After "B2K" (which consisted of a mohawked knock-off Marques Houston, Omarion and that light skinned, big lipped kid from the group) was done East New York took the stage in the form of Toni Steelz. Dressed in a cut up 718 Hood Tuff rocker tee, black spandex and Chuck Taylors, 'cause she said f the heels, she hyped the crowd. Not that I was doubtful about her skills (Brooklyn stand up), but she gave me much more than I was expecting. She had a nice flow to her. Spitting tracks like "Throw Ya Hands Up" and ending with what I believe is titled "Sure shot" Toni Steelz definitely had my attention. She even had the guys in the crowd screaming when she prompted all the "hood chicks" to make noise. With DJ Lady Chase on the turntables they showed up everyone else in the show last night. Even her hype man who looked like The-Dream's twin brother (radio killer, killer!) spit a verse, for which I had not one bad comment. More than a hood chick I decided she was hood chic. She definitely has the potential to survive in this industry with the right team. In a day when many believe the quality of hip hop music to be disintegrating it's refreshing to listen to ladies like Jean Grae, Amanda Diva and now Toni Steelz rip the mic. "

Check out Toni Steelz on myspace at myspace.com/tsteezie and www.showcaseyourmusic.com/ToniSteelz

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope not bad at all. Now if the industry can get its head out of its rear end to notice, more people can hear her music too.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks 4da Love! From your mouth to Gods Ears...but "She get it poppin, poppin...HoodChicks aint' no stoppin, stoppin"


Holla @ ur Favorite Hoodchick, ToniSteelz