Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Genesis...


The Birth of 4 Bars
written by 4bars

AIGHT, so Jus told ya’ll about his failed attempt at being a rapper and I understand everybody needs a dream, but you can’t just dream, you gotta have the talent, drive and opportunity to be a star, and dammit, 4 Bars has it all (see, I’m already referring to myself in 3rd person, tell me I ain't a star).

It all started when I was like 10, ALLLLL the honeys were screaming something about “good hair” and I felt like f’n Usher. These chicks would wait on me to get on the bus and proceed to hound me JUST to get a feel of my lovely locks of love (too much?). So while I hadn’t done anything that had any semblance of musical ability or linguistic mastery, my swag was there. The ladies loved me and you know that “niggas do what bitches do” so it was only a matter of time before the fellas recognized and followed suit, minus the crazed attempts at touching my hair though, that’d just be creepy.

Fast forward to high school where I faced the “can you flow?” question. Growing up in Houston EVERYBODY and they mama was “flowing” at the drop of a hat (flowing = freestyling). Whether riding in a car, chillin at somebody’s house, or just standing around, at any given time a “Southern Cypher” could pop off. Not only did I always answer “no” when I was asked if I could flow, but I became a master at thinking of, but never actually delivering, the DOPEST shit you have (n)ever heard. There was just always some dude in the group who was jealous of my skills and felt the need to overshadow me by jumping in JUST as I was about to spit my “hot fiyah” (sigh) haters.

While I let haters defer my stardom throughout high school, I just knew that once I got to college, I was gonna bring that southern flavor to the east coast, but somehow hateration followed me east. Upon entering my homeboy’s dorm room (WHATTUP LOS!!) some untrustworthy “grimey ass New Yorkers” were waiting to rain on my Texas parade. Without cause or warning, they ruthlessly bombarded me with hostile comments about my damn braces (I was also taking the cosmetic steps necessary to raise my stardom). Not that I remember this event real well or still hold contempt over it or anything (SHALWAH, REASEY, AND ADRI!) but the constant chanting of “chugga chugga chugga” and “choo choo traaaiinnn” served to hone 4 Bars the battle rapper. So, thank you Mecca of Hip Hop for introducing me to The Dark Side of The Force, thank you.

While it seemed that I’d hit rock bottom, a fateful change of scenery (Massell to North) + an introduction to a musically inclined roommate / 2 years = 4 Bars’ birth. The rapper/producer/DJ/NBA Live punching bag that we all know as gWiz was “my deeeejay” throughout. Cassidy’s “I’ma Hustla” (Hustla Dance and all) served as my inspiration for the smash freestyle (I wrote it) “I’ma Southerner” (peep the track). The look on Wiz’s face after I spit those unforgettable 4 bars was priceless, but his words said it all: “Nigga, that’s it?” Yeah man, that was it, a star was born. I got my Percy Miracle/Nate Dogg on and proceeded to dabble in some R&B hooks and performances and such, but I had to get back to the girl I fell in love with and it was T.I. (or T.I.P. not really sure which one was rappin) that revolutionized my flow (peep the other track).

Needless to say, my star is on the rise, not only can I sing, rap, dance, and battle if a sucka MC wants to test, but now I’m adding WRITING to the repertoire thanks to Past the Margin: a quintuple threat, by myself I am so impressed. Stay tuned people, the best is yet to come…
IMMA SOUTHERNER

MusicPlaylist

Birth 4bars


MusicPlaylist


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You my friend, are a moron.

LMFAO!

Anonymous said...

hahahah wrap it up b!